Normandy Bone

CMx2 was explicitly written to be modular. When we need something new, we can easily upgrade it. If we need something completely different we can unplug the old and plug in the new without major side issues.

Steve

God hear you Steve!!!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. One Module partly done (Commonwealth Forces)

Steve

A fourth module? First time I hear about it! Which nations will be covered by this? I suspect ANZACs & Canada, but how about exotics like India or South Africa?

BTW, which nations are covered by the NATO module? There are several overlaps between NATO and Commonwealth

A fourth module? First time I hear about it! Which nations will be covered by this? I suspect ANZACs & Canada, but how about exotics like India or South Africa?

I read this to be the Brit forces module for the Normandy game, but I guess we need Steve to clarify this

Will we see POW's in the Normandy game ?

I would like to see them...we really need enemys that give up.

I concur.

A thought: The animation for a surrendering individual (or unit, if it is assumed that an entire fireteam/squad would surrender at once) could be kneeling/standing with hands raised; and the animation for a surrendered individual would be standing with hands on head.

The kicker (if that's the word I mean) would be if surrendering/surrendered individuals/units were sans/ohne helmet, since (as studies have shown) soldiers are less likely to shoot helmet-less enemy personnel, and thus smart surrenderers would cast aside their helmets before surrendering. But that (and the distinguishing animation of having the hands up or on the head) is probably too detailed to be worth incorporating.

Deitrich wrote:

". . . would be if surrendering/surrendered individuals/units were sans/ohne helmet, since . . ."

Uh oh. You've just unwittingly unleashed a horde of mid-20th-century hairstyle grogs!

Run!

(I'm sure they'll be along any minute now . . .)

a horde of mid-20th-century hairstyle grogs!

None of whom was consulted for Saving Private Ryan! In that movie, entirely too many German soldiers (mostly in the end battle scene) were without their helmets, and almost all the helmet-less German soldiers either had close-cropped hair ("buzz cut") or were shaven-headed. For one thing, the hairstyle which WW2 German soldiers pretty much all had (as can be seen in pretty much any contemporary photo of bare-headed German soldiers) was buzz-cut short on the sides and back (with a view to keeping the hair off the ears), long on top, and combed back, optionally with a crisp part and treated with a Brylcreem-type product. It's hard to not see the anachronistically short hairstyles of the German soldiers in that movie as pandering to the propagandistic "Geman = Nazi = skinhead" assumption. (The foremost example being the character listed in the credits as "Steamboat Willie".)

But no, I actually don't consider myself a mid-20th-century hairstyle grog. :P

No hair (or short hair) is best for dealing with the lice and fleas which you were almost guaranteed of acquiring.

I can see the brave men of the SS presenting their pudenda to a portrait of old Adolf for minute inspection and comparison. Sergei, have you made a particular study of this, or are you just talking out your bum?

It's hard to not see the anachronistically short hairstyles of the German soldiers in that movie as pandering to the propagandistic "Geman = Nazi = skinhead" assumption. (The foremost example being the character listed in the credits as "Steamboat Willie".)

The movie featured many reenactors which came to the set with proper 40s haircuts made from their own expense. I think there was an agenda.

It starts out well and then detoriates to a A-Team/50s war movie in the second half.

Back on topic: Surrendering troops in CM:N would be very cool.

Yup. Would definitely be nice.

The problem was that each surrendering soldier would have to become its own unit when it thows it's hands up and decides to leave his buddies.

Personally, I think it's worth it anyway. Perhaps they should only exist for 5 minutes as a unit and then disappear. Or disappear after a unit of the captor processes that POW in a buddy aid-like style.

Then at least I had a few minutes of joy seeing dudes throw their hands up without them becoming a drag long term as the game progresses.

At the moment the visual reward for soldiers giving up the fight is too small.

Yup. Would definitely be nice.

The problem was that each surrendering soldier would have to become its own unit when it thows it's hands up and decides to leave his buddies.

Do they have to surrender individually? I mean, if remnants of a squad were under fire and surrounded and its morale down, it is more likely that they surrender together than piecemeal. Would you start waving a little white flag while your sergeant was still fighting right next to you? Would the enemy recognize your surrender unless your comrades joined you?

The movie featured many reenactors which came to the set with proper 40s haircuts made from their own expense. I think there was an agenda.

It starts out well and then detoriates to a A-Team/50s war movie in the second half.

Back on topic: Surrendering troops in CM:N would be very cool.

I worked on SPR and I don't recall there ever being more than a small handful of re-enactors at any given time. For the most part the crowd during filming at Hatfield were mainly the usual regular crew of jobbing extras (which included a fair few ex-army guys). Regarding the skinhead cuts the 'Germans' were given, as far as I can remember from our gossiping sessions (!) at the time about that very subject, it was purely because the head Costume Designer thought it would be a good look - just goes to show that no matter how well-reknowned and successful you are at your job you are not necessarily always correct! Such is life. :)

Roach, I stand corrected.

I had snapped up this story at the Euromilitaire modeling show years ago by a reenactor which otherwise seemingly knew his stuff.

Still strange that the head costume designer can make such decisions when every DVD "Making of" usually tells the viewer how painfully accurate history is recreated...

Example: "The Patriot" where one gets told how every button of the gaiters was recreated, on the other hand the lead figures which were melted for bullets by Mel Gibson were form the 1850s not from the Independence War period. And then they clothe the British dragoons in red instead of green...

And don't get me started on "Flyboys" with the all red triplanes ...

But, sorry for stating false and derailing from the topic.