Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

39 minutes ago, Magnum50 said:

Congrats... but unfortunately, I have not been able to get my keys copied over to Matrix or Slitherine and been unable to get some of my games download here or there. So, for me this looks like it sucks. Sorry to see Battlefront go. I loved it from the beginning, buying all the games, books, manuals, art you use to sell, (still have it on my wall in my gaming cave). I'm going to miss the small developer/publisher of yester-year.

Open a support ticket. We'll be able to get you taken care of. 

18 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

The most important thing to address is why we finally decided "now is the time".  We've been working closely with Slitherine for about 5 years now and we've gotten to see how they work, they've had the chance to see how we work.  It turns out we both liked what we saw.

It's pretty amazing that we stayed independent without either selling out or going out of business long ago.  Looking ahead we could see us continuing down that road if we wanted it to, but we took a long hard look at things and decided we didn't want to. 

Great news for Battlefront and Battlefront & Slitherine customers. I was always impressed at how you guys managed Battlefront for so many years with such a small staff. You produced excellent games and provided exemplary customer service as well as a forum filled with fun and facts.

Wishing you ALL the BEST with this new journey. 

Buzz

24 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Combat Mission will get a huge production boost without losing its focus.  I can say that for sure because there's already 2x (closing in on 3x) more people working on Combat Mission already and all of Battlefront is part of that.

F Yeah! I think this is the first official confirmation that a CMx3 is on the way. Beautiful. The hints were pretty strong, but it sure is nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.

7 minutes ago, Murauder said:

Oh,that means more effective work on some updates that player always want?Cool.

Damn guys, maybe they can just enjoy a day or two of celebration without the negativity creeping back in!?!?

Freshman year of college for me. Downloaded via university broadband onto a 450mhz Powermac G4 tower. Lots of good times ensued. Drove more than two hours to the house of one of the beta testers to see the updated demo a couple of weeks before it was public. Panzer IV dueling Shermans at 2km range. The volumetric smoke! Memorable.

The oldest words I've written that are still publicly visible on the internet are challenging folks to PBEM the beta demo.

I wonder if the acquisition means the end of Mac support? Or more Mac support, it CM3 is Unity?

18 minutes ago, photon said:

Freshman year of college for me. Downloaded via university broadband onto a 450mhz Powermac G4 tower. Lots of good times ensued. Drove more than two hours to the house of one of the beta testers to see the updated demo a couple of weeks before it was public. Panzer IV dueling Shermans at 2km range. The volumetric smoke! Memorable.

The oldest words I've written that are still publicly visible on the internet are challenging folks to PBEM the beta demo.

I wonder if the acquisition means the end of Mac support? Or more Mac support, it CM3 is Unity?

LOL... I met my wife in 2000... she has shared me for 24 years with Combat Mission.  

Another nice aspect of this relates to marketing and visibility.

With a larger company comes larger budgets, so presumably more of an opportunity for those things. Leading to a potentially larger player base... hopefully leading to more toys, more frequently, for all of us.

I spent years wishing that a game like Combat Mission existed (this is pre-2014), yet I'd never even heard of it. I was not a hardcore wargamer -- Close Combat was basically it -- so never frequented the kinds of sites you'd need to be on to hear it mentioned. And there was virtually no advertising for it. So I'm one of those who thinks the game never really had to remain quite as niche as it did.

There is nothing else out there like Combat Mission. Nothing. Graviteam lacks WEGO or any kind of replay feature, meaning that, for me, it is basically unplayable.

Slitherine is aware of everything I've mentioned, of course, and I have no doubt will capitalize on the huge and unique opportunity that a CMx3 brings.

I'm looking forward to many more years of addictive and unparallelled gameplay.

Edited by sttp

32 minutes ago, chaos49 said:

will there be news about the secret project you promised six months ago now that this good news is out.

Not quite yet :)  But yes, this is what I was hinting at.  We are very deep in the process of doing some pretty important stuff and we don't want to spoil it by coming up with details too soon.  All I can say is that CM1 and CM2 fans will have much to be happy about in the near future!  We just ask that you let the dust settle a bit and then we'll have something solid to announce.

Steve

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

Not quite yet :)  But yes, this is what I was hinting at.  We are very deep in the process of doing some pretty important stuff and we don't want to spoil it by coming up with details too soon.  All I can say is that CM1 and CM2 fans will have much to be happy about in the near future!  We just ask that you let the dust settle a bit and then we'll have something solid to announce.

Steve

"CM1" + "CM2" + "dust" = ... Combat Mission 2 Afrika Korps, obviously! 🥳

9 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

All I can say is that CM1 and CM2 fans will have much to be happy about in the near future!  

Steve

Hmm, does this mean something new for CM1 🤔???? 

19 minutes ago, Bufo said:

Finally moving to Unity from OpenGL will be a big improvement.

That and having an ex-Unity employed programmer helps too :)  He's teaching Charles all kinds of things about Unity, Charles is teaching him about the importance of smoke discharger angles.  It's a win win for you guys, that's for sure!

Steve

Woah! This sounds like a very good thing. Whatever comes "next" I am super hoping gives me the motivation to jump back in. I just need an upgraded engine that actually looks and runs at a level I can once again enjoy. The rest is the "CM" magic sauce and is always good to go. 🙂

Edited by AstroCat

Question:

I have read the Slitherine announcement.  So, my saved CM Installers are now worthless files as there are no longer any activation savers.  So, I must register all my games and DLC with Steam and then download new installers?

It would not be possible to just give Slitherine (I have a Matrix/Slitherine account already), my Battlefront store account and get everything transferred over to their system automatically?