I often wonder if BFC Steve and BFC Charles even "play" these games...

I don't mean it as a negative thing. My first thought is of sympathy that maybe their lives are filled with stuff and running the company and do they even get the time to enjoy these fruits of their labors? If the answer is no, ---> they are busy CEO types now! they have no time! to ever really "play" the game or load a mod. They have employees and other folks who do that stuff for them as testers. That would be so sad. Incredibly depressing...

I hope it aint true but what sign do we have that they ever do play the games...? Like we do here in the  forums?

Now, will they all of a sudden post and ask for a PBEM opponent? Winner selects the next module! 

EDIT: I forgot a part I was going to say about my many years working at an Italian restaurant on the Jersey shore. I never got sick of Italian food. I made meatballs and fried eggplant many times per week. Chopping mozzarella for hours. Pealing garlic. Making dough. Making sauce, it cooked all day til we closed. NEVER STOPPED LIKING THE FOOD! But a computer game? Maybe they are flat out sick of it all and are into billiards? Big money Las Vegas billiards? I dunno!

Edited by kohlenklau

I know that Steve does occasionally play.  I don't know about Charles.  Steve occasionally plays or participates in demonstrations, and he will also at least look at or partially play a scenario that has been submitted to be included in a game.  I don't think he looks at every one, but I know that he occasionally dabbles with them.  He never gives feedback or comments or anything like that, but I can say that on at least one occasion I believe that one of my briefings caused some new artwork to be included in the game and it just sort of appeared out of the blue so he must have read the briefing to get the idea to include it.

22 minutes ago, ASL Veteran said:

I know that Steve does occasionally play.  I don't know about Charles.  Steve occasionally plays or participates in demonstrations, and he will also at least look at or partially play a scenario that has been submitted to be included in a game.  I don't think he looks at every one, but I know that he occasionally dabbles with them.  He never gives feedback or comments or anything like that, but I can say that on at least one occasion I believe that one of my briefings caused some new artwork to be included in the game and it just sort of appeared out of the blue so he must have read the briefing to get the idea to include it.

An excellent insider report. I guess that answers my curiosity. Thank you very much.

24 minutes ago, ASL Veteran said:

one of my briefings caused some new artwork to be included in the game

Oh boy, now you have all our curiosity... If we were at a bar, you'd start getting the free drinks right about now! Great stories you must have...

It was probably over 12 years ago now, but I recall after CMSF came out, I asked if the one to one representation of the pixeltruppen made one more psychologically adverse to taking casualties in the game. Steve was one of those who answered yes.

6 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

It was probably over 12 years ago now, but I recall after CMSF came out, I asked if the one to one representation of the pixeltruppen made one more psychologically adverse to taking casualties in the game. Steve was one of those who answered yes.

Yeah CMBB, CMBO, CMAK were super easy to just run your three pixeltruppen at the enemy and just not care. The "medic" function goes a long way towards that as well particularly in CMSF where casualties produced for the enemy are a major point scorer and a hindrance not only in points but also momentum.

2 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

He has always been a RT player.  He never played We Go to my knowledge - at least with CMx2.  There was no RT option with CMx1.

Aye, it was that many moons ago that I remember him making the comment. The implication I read was that he payed CMx1 WeGo, but that if CMx2 hadn't had RT, he wouldn't have played it, at least not "for fun". The obverse of that, of course, is that he does (or at least did) play CMx2 "for fun", if "only" in RT.

I can give a quick answer... we don't play much any more.  There's really not much need to because we're so familiar with the system itself and our testers kick the snot out of things during testing to an extent that Charles and I can instead focus on making the game itself.  Oh, and the time sucking business stuff.  Grr... much rather be plinking tanks than doing financial reports!

This is an excellent place for us to be because back when the CM2 engine was young I used to spend a TON of time playing, making scenarios, play testing other people's scenarios, and other things like that.  Now that the engine is so stable and we have guys who can make 10x better content than I ever could, best for me to focus on other things.

That said... I sometimes dread "quickly" checking out a bug someone's reported because I can easily get sucked in and play for an hour or two.  The love is still there, for sure.  But don't feel sad for us.  We get a lot of enjoyment from making the game itself.  Otherwise we'd have gone off to do something else with our limited time on this Earth long ago.

Steve

8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

That said... I sometimes dread "quickly" checking out a bug someone's reported because I can easily get sucked in and play for an hour or two.  The love is still there, for sure.  But don't feel sad for us.  We get a lot of enjoyment from making the game itself.  Otherwise we'd have gone off to do something else with our limited time on this Earth long ago.

You guys have created something that is singularly unique and you should be very proud.  B)

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

We get a lot of enjoyment from making the game itself.  Otherwise we'd have gone off to do something else with our limited time on this Earth long ago.

Can totally understand the enjoyment of the creative process, it's what happens with us modders and map makers and scenario designers ... it's got to be said that there is an amazing breadth of value to be derived from your original creation. If I added up the hours spent on these games against the cost of them I doubt I'm even paying a penny an hour for the pleasure ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

Regarding the original question.

My child is still sleeping, and my wife went out shopping.

So, I have the choice between

1. Programming cool **** myself
  2. Installing 'Easy Red 2', which I definitely want to check out and support.

Of course, I choose option (1) and make the world a better place for our customers!

I guess that the train of thought of BFC is similar.

It is a result of the realization that one does not live forever, and productive time is precious.

Best regards
Thomm