Welcome to 2021!

22 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Thanks for the answer. I'm happy to hear there's a small effect in the game. I think steel helmets do stop quite a lot of shell fragments though, depending on size, speed, and range of course.

I would like to see the source that states that a WW2 steel helmet doesn´t matter too much and only offer a slight reduction in injury when it comes to shrapnel protection. 

15 minutes ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

I would like to see the source that states that a WW2 steel helmet doesn´t matter too much and only offer a slight reduction in injury when it comes to shrapnel protection. 

I'v seen pictures of helmets on which bullets ricocheted without penetration, so I doubt there is such a source.

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I'v seen pictures of helmets on which bullets ricocheted without penetration, so I doubt there is such a source.

For a 9mm perhaps. Not for rifle cartridge and the like.

Sources are very easy to find, so no doubts are warranted: see your yourselves :)

I think that whilst we are waiting for Fire and Rubble, instead of moaning, we should have a little sing-song. All together now...

"We wish you a Happy Lockdown, we wish you a Happy Lockdown, we wish you a Happy Lockdown, and a Poxy New Year. Bad tidings we bring from Boris your king. But, we wish you a Happy Lockdown and a Poxy New Year."

Stay safe peeps.

50 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I think that whilst we are waiting for Fire and Rubble, instead of moaning, we should have a little sing-song. All together now...

"We wish you a Happy Lockdown, we wish you a Happy Lockdown, we wish you a Happy Lockdown, and a Poxy New Year. Bad tidings we bring from Boris your king. But, we wish you a Happy Lockdown and a Poxy New Year."

Stay safe peeps.

Very nice, Wart. Hidden talents.

2 hours ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

I didn't say the effect was small. I just said I was happy to hear the effect is taken into account in the game.

Nothing to add about Engine 5 at this time.  We've not formally started in on it yet and probably won't for several months.

Fire and Rubble's website should be up later this month, February at the latest.  Generally speaking we do that only about 1-2 months before the game is released.  There's one remaining time sucking variable we have to deal with and so much depends on that.

I'm surprised that anybody questions the limited protective nature of a WW2 steel helmet.  Even modern Kevlar helmets aren't a full cure for modern lower powered short rifle rounds.  The standard higher powered rifle rounds of WW2 (30.06, 8mm, etc.) could punch straight through both sides of a steel helmet at most combat ranges and didn't do squat for shell fragments in all but marginal situations.  The primary utility of WW2 steel helmet was to protect from secondary effects of flying debris, which was a huge cause of injury/death.  Which means that steel helmets do offer protection in CM as well as real life, but in most situations it doesn't do all that much.  Especially because the head is a small % of a Human target and therefore ANY helmet on its own has minimal impact on overall casualty rates.  For an individual, of course, even a steel helmet could mean the difference between life or death.

Steve

24 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Fire and Rubble's website should be up later this month, February at the latest.  Generally speaking we do that only about 1-2 months before the game is released.  There's one remaining time sucking variable we have to deal with and so much depends on that.

😳

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

steel helmet at most combat ranges and didn't do squat for shell fragments in all but marginal situations. 

Depends a lot on distance to impact, I suppose.

We just saw a video linked where a helmet bounced pistol shots. A pistol round has a velocity of about 1000 fps. Mortar fragments have the same velocity at apprx. 200 feet.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Typical-fragment-velocities-from-artillery-and-mortar-rounds_fig1_24415884

So I'm thinking that steel helmets might have offered good protection from shell, mortar, and handgrenade explosions at some distance from impact at least.

And since the area affected by low-velocity fragments is much bigger than that affected by fast fragments, that could be important.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Interesting, never considered helmets in the context of wargames. Think helmets might offer some protection against shock waves from above and resulting traumatic brain injury. However, the extent of the protection is not well understood even today:

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1200&context=usarmyresearch

4 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

It would be cool to at least have some nco's wearing a cap. I read somewhere that the Russian's will get panzerfausts. (thank god, AT rifles suck) but do we know if the German's will get access to the ppsh?

“German Army Grenadier 1944-45” from Landser Books  (2).JPG

m43.jpg

This is an excellent point! 

38 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

This is an excellent point! 

There is a mod that replaces the MP40 with the PPSH. It's one of my favorite 'little' mods. Personally I would love to see a mix of MP40's, PPSH and StG 44's. Above all I hope that the StG 44 is well represented in the module, not only in the Volksgrenadier units, but also in other units, like Panzergrenadiers.

Edited by Aragorn2002

“...time sucking variable” was once my answer to my lovely wife when asked why I hadn’t gotten to my chores for the day. “Sorry dear,” says I, “but playing Combat Mission is a time sucking variable.” I was then informed that the Doghouse is also a time sucking variable.

1 minute ago, mjkerner said:

“...time sucking variable” was once my answer to my lovely wife when asked why I hadn’t gotten to my chores for the day. “Sorry dear,” says I, “but playing Combat Mission is a time sucking variable.” I was then informed that the Doghouse is also a time sucking variable.

They always have an answer, don't they? 🙂

30 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahaahhahahahahhahahahahahhaaha!

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Nothing to add about Engine 5 at this time.  We've not formally started in on it yet and probably won't for several months.

That must mean BF is open for suggestions on what we'd like to see in engine 5. Spill it out, boys and girls, and let them suggestions come freely.

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Since nobody seems to have the nerve to ask (small wonder) and I'm already the Enfant Terrible here, I will ask the question.

So worse case scenario is a release of Fire and Rubble in April-May 2021?

Edited by Aragorn2002