Welcome to 2021!

5 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

You off-topic 'helmet guys' should be moved to General Discussion

Would love to stay more on topic, but there's not much to talk about unfortunately. CMFR coming when it's ready. More games to be re-released on Steam. An engine version 5 is coming, but there's no info on what might be in it.

4 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Would love to stay more on topic, but there's not much to talk about unfortunately. CMFR coming when it's ready. More games to be re-released on Steam. An engine version 5 is coming, but there's no info on what might be in it.

Was only joking, a discussion of any such combat detail is interesting.

3 hours ago, BornGinger said:

That must mean BF is open for suggestions on what we'd like to see in engine 5. Spill it out, boys and girls, and let them suggestions come freely.

If they post a new discussion about it and if people keep the posts simple. Let it be done...lol 💪🥇

3 hours ago, sovietpolarbear said:

God bless you Steve and your full spectrum team. Will Afghanistan be getting an engine update?

Sorry, no plans for that.  We don't own the rights to the content because it was made in partnership with a Russian developer.  But it is an interesting idea if we could work something out with them.  No promises, but I will ask.

also why are the screenshots called bones? 

It comes from an old English statement about "throwing a dog a bone".  It means, roughly, someone wanting something fairly simple and it being given to them.  Game developers and gamers think of small pieces of information, screenshots, etc. for games in development as "bones".

Hope that helps :)

Steve

I figured out the problem, the only people that can be happy are the ones that really enjoy any period of time as to the wargaming periods provided.

Because BF really does not have the ability to support the 6 different games they are presently marketing, to keep adding to each has created way to much time between when they can add on and make additions to any one. The interest is lost because of the big time gap.

Only those players that can be content with each and every release until the next one seem to be somewhat content.

If CMBS was the only game that mattered to you as a player, you would be in hell as to how long it takes to get a add on.

19 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sorry, no plans for that.  We don't own the rights to the content because it was made in partnership with a Russian developer.  But it is an interesting idea if we could work something out with them.  No promises, but I will ask.

Steve

Oh please, oh please, oh please oh please, oh please!

20 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

God bless you Steve and your full spectrum team. Will Afghanistan be getting an engine update?

@Sgt.Squarehead👀

Assault in the AI orders mean the units move forward separately in bounds. One tank moves forward then another. Assault doesn't mean the old CMx1 'human wave' command where everyone jumps up , yells and charges. 'Max assault' is probably even more different than you imagine. It means when they meet the enemy they stop and slug it out, making it to the destination is less of a concern.

42 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

But it is an interesting idea if we could work something out with them.  No promises, but I will ask.

What sort of numbers would we need to crowdfund if this were a possibility.....Not asking for anything firm, just a ballpark figure?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

28 minutes ago, holoween said:

This might be a stupid question but what does engine upgrade even mean in practical terms?

When the original CMBN came out it, along with CMSF1, were built using Game Engine 1. When Fortress Italy was made more features were added to the game engine that CMBN did not have. That is when the 2.0 Upgrade was first created for CMBN. It Upgraded the game engine from Game Engine 1 to Game Engine 2. Making it so that CMBN's game engine did not become obsolete. Red Thunder added more features and that was created using Game Engine 3. 3.0 Upgrade's were created for CMBN and CMFI so they they use Game Engine 3. The current game engine is Game Engine 4. All new purchases use Game Engine 4. I see that you joined the forum in 2018. If that is when you purchased your first game then it was already using Game Engine 4. 

A 5.0 Upgrade would mean more features being added and available for all titles.

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What sort of numbers would we need to crowdfund if this were a possibility.....Not asking for anything firm, just a ballpark figure?

I don't think it's a matter of how much would be needed to do it. It's about who owns rights to the Afghan game (or parts of the game). 

I really liked the Afghan game. At the time I liked it more than CMSF1. It is a steal for the $25 that it is being sold for. 

36 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Assault in the AI orders mean the units move forward separately in bounds. One tank moves forward then another. Assault doesn't mean the old CMx1 'human wave' command where everyone jumps up , yells and charges. 'Max assault' is probably even more different than you imagine. It means when they meet the enemy they stop and slug it out, making it to the destination is less of a concern.

That is information worth knowing...

50 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Yes I understand what the assault order is. But I'm curious if the AI is programmed to actually use this command. They only seem to run forward as a whole group. I also can't remember if I've ever seen the AI use the "hunt" command.

50 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

It's the details like this that often escape us.  Not that I've made it to assigning AI orders yet 🙃.

1 hour ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

I don't even know if this is possible, but it would be great to see some sort of upgrade to the attacking AI in update 5. 

Like finally granting the AI the full bennefit of artillery...

could we please have a function to add triggered/timed barrages with the ability to specify the specific shooting unit, intensity and duration of fire...simular to the ingame artillery interface maybe...to include HE or SMOKE..

The AIs inability to handle artillery is currently a serious shortcomming...and not fair 😉...especially the lack of well delivered smokescreens...

The V.4 on-map mortars are a great improvement...but still somewhat lacking.

40 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

When the original CMBN came out it, along with CMSF1, were built using Game Engine 1. When Fortress Italy was made more features were added to the game engine that CMBN did not have. That is when the 2.0 Upgrade was first created for CMBN. It Upgraded the game engine from Game Engine 1 to Game Engine 2. Making it so that CMBN's game engine did not become obsolete. Red Thunder added more features and that was created using Game Engine 3. 3.0 Upgrade's were created for CMBN and CMFI so they they use Game Engine 3. The current game engine is Game Engine 4. All new purchases use Game Engine 4. I see that you joined the forum in 2018. If that is when you purchased your first game then it was already using Game Engine 4. 

A 5.0 Upgrade would mean more features being added and available for all titles.

THX for the reply. Yes i only got my first CM game then.

How extensive are these features? What was in other engine upgrades for example?

24 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

But I'm curious if the AI is programmed to actually use this command. They only seem to run forward as a whole group. I also can't remember if I've ever seen the AI use the "hunt" command.

I believe they do use Assault Movement (ie: squads split and use bounding movement), the AI will also use sub-units in a group in similar fashion if an Assault AI Order is given to multiple units that can't normally use the Assault Movement command (ie: uncons & teams).

If the AI can use Hunt, I wish someone would show me how to make it do it (TBH it can't).  ;)

PS - An Assault AI Order can also trigger Blast Movement (by setting waypoints each side of a linear obstacle).....This works well with walls & buildings, but I haven't got it to work on Barbed Wire yet, I suspect because that is a unit rather than a map feature.  However (& it's a big however) there must not be an alternative route close by, or the AI will take it, so much testing is required to get this to work reliably.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead