Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

I'm just up the road in the Toon.

Nice knowing there's a CM buff not too far away.

Small world :) I'm a foreigner though, from Pontypridd - birth place of Tom Jones - hence the handle. Only been here 36 years.

Bud - the maps are invaluable and, for me, well worth the effort. The individual events are compelling, but I like to see them in context. I really enjoy the Gifs too.

The big thing for me - and maybe in this I'm fooling myself with how important I think it is - was putting the whole battle in context, so that, for example, if you see the Chaffee, you know why it is important for it to remain on the west side of Liefrange. You'd see it and other units and the enemy and understand Blanchard's decision for its placement. Maybe that's not as important to readers as I thought? Or maybe the narrative itself answers those questions and make it somewhat superfluous. 

I concur.  Maps provide perspective.  I was suggesting that if a battlefield sketch map is easier to render, it accomplishes the same goal and spares you from more burdensome effort.

Happy Aussie day for the down-underians on here!

As always, a beautiful smorgsboard  of panels to return to after few days away down the coast!!   This one in particular:

IMG_1665.JPG

1/. Thanks for granting my onomatopoeia request, with a special font (I think?) and all!! Followed pretty rapidly by someelse's very effectively implemented Brakka Brakka Brakka (@Slim?)

2/. I saw the motion blur on the falling German Lieutenant straight away, and really liked it. Perhaps if you were to do such again, full panel it to really capture the readers eye?

3/. I liked the GIF, but it did feel very long. I've only tried a few, and they do take some effort (like a comic?? ;) ) to get short, sweet & yet effective.

4/. Re the map, I think one at the start of such quality is sufficient, and if such a map is serious work, perhaps something more in-game, in full colour, from a 45 degree view, with some basic annotations? (Somewhere someone has done what I am alluding to, but can't find an example at the moment....) Of course, you are trying I think to emulate a simple topo map, so perhaps this suggestion won't be viable.

Alternative option; perhaps literally a quick hand drawn black and white sketch you yourself draw and insert; the kind of thing the Lieutenant would quickly scribble on his pad, in order to show each of his armored vehicle commanders the current situation, and where he wants them to go?

e.g ? (just a suggestion)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/call/call_93-3_image8.gif

Looking forward to the finale!

Hi Bud,

CAAR looks great. :D

The AA half-track crew need a shave or is that just the shadows? Can you please check in the editor if you have time...COULD the crew have been equipped with greatcoats or always just the jackets? I wish you had been attacked by Waffen-SS troops. I am anxious to see the camo pattern hooded parka's on those guys....

IMG_1744.JPG

Bud,

Two puffs of red mist....that says it all.  I knew that was not gonna be good.  Not the Choppah!!!!  Arrgghh!:(

They should have let the 105 lead the way but they got too..."enthusiastic."  Killing frenzy I suppose.  Still, they utterly destroyed that enemy charge.

More letters to write for the Lootennant.

Heinrich505

I recall working with an old WWII Pacific jungle fighter a long time ago. He once told me that .50 cal quad operators would sometimes remove their front armor shield. That way if a bullet hits you it goes through clean. With that darned thin shield the bullet is likely to tumble after piercing the armor and mess you up REALLY bad.

I recall working with an old WWII Pacific jungle fighter a long time ago. He once told me that .50 cal quad operators would sometimes remove their front armor shield. That way if a bullet hits you it goes through clean. With that darned thin shield the bullet is likely to tumble after piercing the armor and mess you up REALLY bad.

Dead is dead, if its going through the shield. Then I doubt, removing the shield and letting it pass through me is going to make it that much better.

Lets guess,  instead of a 10 % chance of living, its 20% chance.

And since it blows right through, there is a better chance to save a limb if the shot was grazing.

I have a better suggestion, don't get shot:D

Dead is dead, if its going through the shield. Then I doubt, removing the shield and letting it pass through me is going to make it that much better.

Lets guess,  instead of a 10 % chance of living, its 20% chance.

And since it blows right through, there is a better chance to save a limb if the shot was grazing.

I have a better suggestion, don't get shot:D

Well, I'm no ballistics expert but there's a reason why they make hallow point bullets. Instead of passing cleanly though your body they collect and redistribute your insides. I think a disfigured round will act similarly and do a lot more damage than a nice clean round.

Oh, I know.

Not really disagreeing with the concept.

Just pointing out, Getting hit by any shot by a round that is capable of punching through steel plate is going to mess you up no matter what.

So I will keep the plate, save me from some light rounds if they come my way and also helps me to know if something targeting me if I hear the bings or holes start appearing.

Just saying.

Is the guy facing the wrong way with the thoughtful look muttering "rrrrrrr guys this might be a bad idea"?  I think you got a bit greedy chasing individual soldiers there. :D

If the crew can get back to the track, they can still operate it.... Interesting word, "if".... ;)

I concur.  Maps provide perspective.  I was suggesting that if a battlefield sketch map is easier to render, it accomplishes the same goal and spares you from more burdensome effort.

Thanks for the support and suggestions. My desire to have a nice look to the comic won't permit me to use my horrid sketching skills...trust me, no one could decipher them, not even Bletchley Park!

Bud - the maps are invaluable and, for me, well worth the effort. The individual events are compelling, but I like to see them in context. I really enjoy the Gifs too.

That's great to hear, regardless of how I refine my process, seems what I do is useful to many. Thanks! 

As always, a beautiful smorgsboard  of panels to return to after few days away down the coast!!   This one in particular:

Heh. Glad you liked that!

1/. Thanks for granting my onomatopoeia request, with a special font (I think?) and all!! Followed pretty rapidly by someelse's very effectively implemented Brakka Brakka Brakka (@Slim?)

SLIM got his Brakka Brakka Brakka earlier, as he asked for it some time before you made your request. You'd have to go back but it was used with the M16 page ago. :)  But in any event you're welcome! If it fits, I'm happy to do it. 

2/. I saw the motion blur on the falling German Lieutenant straight away, and really liked it. Perhaps if you were to do such again, full panel it to really capture the readers eye?

Intersting you suggest that. I was originally going to do a full panel of it but as there was a full panel not much earlier I didn't want to do another so soon after. Figured people want more story. :unsure:

3/. I liked the GIF, but it did feel very long. I've only tried a few, and they do take some effort (like a comic?? ;) ) to get short, sweet & yet effective.

It certainly wasn't short - because that's how much time it took to take out all three halftracks. In retrospect I should have started with a black screen as it's hard to tell where the beginning is.. Bil's is better, and yet only a few seconds shorter than mine. Live and learn! 

4/. Re the map, I think one at the start of such quality is sufficient, and if such a map is serious work, perhaps something more in-game, in full colour, from a 45 degree view, with some basic annotations? (Somewhere someone has done what I am alluding to, but can't find an example at the moment....) Of course, you are trying I think to emulate a simple topo map, so perhaps this suggestion won't be viable.

It was Michael Emrys that suggested it, and good suggestion it was. ;)

Alternative option; perhaps literally a quick hand drawn black and white sketch you yourself draw and insert; the kind of thing the Lieutenant would quickly scribble on his pad, in order to show each of his armored vehicle commanders the current situation, and where he wants them to go?

Oooo not MY hand drawn anything, trust me! But your and Michael's ideas above are going to be making an appearance in future comics, I think. :)

Looking forward to the finale!

Me too. I want to see what IanL has left. With the pounding he received in the last few minutes he's gotta be seriously hurt.

Hi Bud,

CAAR looks great. :D

The AA half-track crew need a shave or is that just the shadows? Can you please check in the editor if you have time...COULD the crew have been equipped with greatcoats or always just the jackets? I wish you had been attacked by Waffen-SS troops. I am anxious to see the camo pattern hooded parka's on those guys....

Thanks, amigo! 

I noticed that a lot of the guys seem to have five o'clock shadows, yeah. Maybe the lighting enhances that but I don't think it's your or my imagination. Not parade-ground honor guard, these boys! 

Bearing in mind this is a beta, so changes can happen that I am not going to have foreknowledge of, but I think the uniforms for the crew are what you see. I never played with those settings much before so I may be screwing something up however when I try to purchase. 

Bud,

Two puffs of red mist....that says it all.  I knew that was not gonna be good.  Not the Choppah!!!!  Arrgghh!:(

They should have let the 105 lead the way but they got too..."enthusiastic."  Killing frenzy I suppose.  Still, they utterly destroyed that enemy charge.

More letters to write for the Lootennant.

Heinrich505

I guess at that range, the 7.92mm will really go through the halftrack's armour easily. With the Germans seemingly retreating it was easy to forget those monsters on the ridgeline.

It does seem counterintuitive to reduce armour protection, but yes, if the armour increases tumble then I suppose it may be better off. However...its main purpose may be more for splinters and high deflection shots, not perpendicular fire which hits it at an ideal angle. Dunno. Didn't help the crew in this fight... :angry: