Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

Bud,

If this singlehanded charge by the Chaffee works, LT Blanchard is going to owe that Chaffee crew all the beer they can drink...forever!!! ^_^

Hahaha yes, that would be true. It's near-wracking - Thomlinson only has 3 AP rounds left...

Judging from the fact that the Chaffed doesn't look like a Gypsy caravan overloaded with looted stuff, it can't be Telly Savalas's tank.

They are bogged at a most inopportune moment, I'd say, staring up at the maws of Hell, even though the maws appears to be gun damaged at this time.

Evertime I make a screenshot I'm seeing exactly what they are...looking up a steep slope covered in deep snow, and wondering if the Germans are having me on and both of those things will fire as one at the poor Chaffee!

Half a league, half a league,
space.gif Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
space.gif Rode the six hundred 5 crazy guys in a Chaffee
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death...umm...bogged again?  Come ON!!!!  Seriously???
space.gifRode the six hundred.

[apologies to Lord Tennyson...] :unsure:

Hahaha, perfect! So appropriate! 

Why do I sense a disaster about to happen? Quick, get the crew back into the M16, let Brakka save the day!

Honestly, seeing a German trying to surrender makes me think this battle is all but over, here's hoping things will finish easily.

Disaster already happened...what could go wrong now? It can't get worse...can it?

On a serious note, yeah, seeing the German offering surrender made my day. It means we suppressed the heck out of them so badly that they wanna go home!

Yeah, the Chaffee on the pointy end of the spear like that with no infantry support is worrying..  learn from my mistakes Bud, don't emulate them!  ;) 

I know, I want to make everyone happy and kill those beasts with the Chafee, cause.. It's heroic. Ken would be so proud! But while Blanchard could not know this, I can do the math and know that Ian has to have a fair bit of stuff left up there. Maybe no armour, but three squads with Panzerfausts would be quite sufficient to turn this around. 

I concur with Bil. It makes me uneasy to think you could toss away a won game in pursuit of enlarging your score.

Michael

Really, the only reason to pursue anything here is because it makes good story. ;)

Edit: What I mean by that is that I really am looking at this without consideration for points. If I hold Liefrange, no matter what the points say, I will consider that a victory, because I believe that in that moment in time and place that is what a real commander would do. Given any reasonable possibility of doing so, I imagine a commander would not want to leave the Sturmtigers operational overlooking his position. 

Reasonable possiblity is subject to interpretation, of course. ;)

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

Couldn't resist.  A suggestion?!  My two cents...

Thomlinson could sense the desperation in the voice of the “Old Man.”  Those two kraut tanks hovered over the village like the Sword of Damocles.  The things you remember from high school history, he shook his head ruefully.  The rest of his crew would likely have no clue about the history of the ancients.

They needed to do something though.  If those monsters were just left there, then the Germans would fix them and then the killing would resume.

He thought about all the good men who had already died trying to stop the attack.  His best friend was the commander of the destroyed Sherman.  He was pretty sure there were no survivors.  [He didn’t know the bow gunner was alive]

Caution and prudence dictated that they reverse and seek cover.  His acting CO was asking…no, more like pleading, that they try to resolve the dangerous situation by knocking out the damn behemoths once and for all, and gaining intel on the situation.

Ah, yes, there was the crux of the argument.  They were Recon, supposed to push forward into unknown and dangerous territory, bringing back intel for the rest of the unit to act on.  That was their job.  A dirty job, dangerous to a fault, but they were good at it, very good.  He reflected on that with pride.

No choice then, he realized.  If they could end this German attack and gain a look-see over the damned ridge, the bloody ridge, then it would be worth it.

“Forward,” he ordered quietly.  “Eyes wide open…let’s see if they got anything left.”  Then he smiled for the crew to show them he wasn’t completely insane.  Inside, his guts were churning.  Every dirty job, he groused under his breath.

Heinrich505

I love it!! 

You sure you're not a writer too??

As you will see, what you wrote is at times uncannily what happened!

So, the battle is completed. I am working on finishing the CAAR - a 21 panel conclusion to the story! You've seen the first two. They are all laid out, just putting the text and graphics on them and tweaking things. Once again, I'm trying something new - I hope you will like it.

Ian is waiting for me to tell him he can look here, as he is chafing at the bit to read and comment. No doubt he will correct a lot of assumptions that Lt. Blanchard made due to FOW. 

A couple of points:

1. Please don't forget to ask me what happened at 6 minutes left in the game. 

2. We have 1 minute of action left, all covered in this last installment.

3. Total run length is 222 panels. My second longest, La Ferme Dupont, was - I thought - a very long CAAR at 118 pages. Rundstedt is almost twice as long. I ask you to tell me if that worked. I have ideas and changes I want to make but want to hear from you. 

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

It is all great.  I've no problem with the length.  I always wished Sgt. Rock would last longer and there never seemed to be enough panels.

The story determines the length.  You've a really good line here, so take all the time you need.  And, we get to see lots more of CMFB in the process.

Where the heck is "Tube Guy?"  He needs to get in there and battle it out with "Faust Guy."  Cage Match.  Two men enter...one man leaves.  :D

Looking forward to the rest of the story.  Have enjoyed every minute of it.

Heinrich505

Bud,

It is all great.  I've no problem with the length.  I always wished Sgt. Rock would last longer and there never seemed to be enough panels.

I'm much the same way with the Commando comics that I have. I keep wanting it to be longer! 

Where the heck is "Tube Guy?"  He needs to get in there and battle it out with "Faust Guy."  Cage Match.  Two men enter...one man leaves.  :D

hahaha! I think my Tube Guys are like the red shirts in Star Trek... :unsure: