More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

I can't speak for improvised but I think it's high time we see some Dragon's Teeth. Which, if included, will be a first for any CM game. They'd definitely be something for the engineers to tackle.

I personally am really hoping they can improve fog. It's pretty bad as it stands. The extreme setting isn't even visually as thick as CMX1's light setting.

Mord.

Dragon teeth would be nice to have, but BFC likely would make them non destructible by means of blasting during usual game time frames of 1-2 hours. From my readings it first required a secured part of area with DT, for engineers and bulldozers to start creating a single lane path for vehicle traversing. That´s at least a multi hour/half day affair with no german interference. On the opposite, the steel gates/barriers, closing gaps in the DT line (along roads) were blasted rather quickly with TNT, so this should be an option to be included in the game as well. Into the same category fall the various, more or less elaborately constructed tank obstacles (AT ditches excl.) the germans placed at town entries, along forest roads and such. Would like to see these included in Bulge too, beside the more generic hedgehog obstacles. :)

With regard to pillboxes and future, I could imagine pillboxes to be a new sort of hardened, modular buildings, with configurable apertures and doors, so that anything from single 8x8m to multi tile structures can be created. Off course there would be the issue with FOW, but unless something is more elaborately worked out for a V4.0 game engine, personally I would be satisfied with a pillbox type building, that works like the modular buildings in V3.0 and is visible to both game opponents, incl the AI. Opinions? :)

The bulge game will add something different for sure, no more green summer terrain (CMBN, CW, MG, CMFI, CMRT, CMBS) that looks nearly the same in every game !

Thats why the bulge game will be a instant purchase for me !

Mord, a +1 to that.

I remember reading about a battle and then playing it out on CMBB or CMAK.  It was as if the words came off the pages and somehow were now being experienced in 3D.  I was on the ground looking at a simulation of the actual terrain the soldiers might have seen.

I've done that with CMBN and CMRT now as well. 

I recall [way back] playing an ASL scenario with desperate Großdeutchland rear guard in foxholes trying to stem the red tide of armor, and partway through the battle realizing that I had read about this very battle; it was described by Guy Sajer in his book Forgotten Solder.  It was a jaw dropping moment, one I'll never forget.  Now there is an RT battle that simulates the encounter.  While you don't have the Soviet tanks stopping on top of the Landser's foxholes and grinding the desperate soldiers into the ground with their treads (yet, something for BFC in the future perhaps...), the game seems to capture the terror and desperation quite well.

I'd say BFC and all the great modders really enhance the immersion factor with this game.  My hat is off to them.

As for Bulge, I occasionally duck back into CMAK or CMETO to get my fix of battles in the snow.  I am looking forward to it with great interest.  I am especially pleased that the time frame will be from Bulge through the end of the war 1945.  I think it was originally planned to be Bulge-specific, with a module planned for the rest of the battles to the end.  That we are getting this all in the Bulge title is especially appreciated.

Heinrich505

How is snow modelled in CMFI? (I don't have it). Is it just white surfaces but no effect on gameplay (no slower movement, etc for men or vehicles? Increased chances of bogging or immobilization?).

If they include that, would that not be ported over to Bulge and be sufficient? 

Man I am so wanting this one. 

ChrisND, lets just say for the fun of it that I would really like to spend my Thanksgiving weekend playing CM Bulge, would you say I will have a happy Thanksgiving day weekend or not so much?  :)

Just for fun you see?

Personally I'd prefer Battlefront to spend as long as necessary getting the Bulge release ready; no hurry, less speed more progress etc.

The models look cool, and the backgrounds are v.good for ALPHA shots.  So take your time Battlefront.  We'll all still be here whenever it's released.

...since I'm here, heck I think it's a realistic hope we can be playing by Canada day!

If it's out by Canada Day (July 1st), I will personally make you an Honourary Canuck! (And yes, despite what Spellcheck says, that is the correct spelling of "honourary").

Its alpha and they are obviously running that build at "balanced" or lower quality, its not supposed to be representative of the final product.

I do not remember the photos of the alpha version somehow different from what we see in the final product.

I do not remember the photos of the alpha version somehow different from what we see in the final product.

You can clearly see that the quality graphics setting for those Bulge screenshots are set at about balanced or lower, it looks nothing like what a final product would ala Battle for Normandy or Black Sea.

I would like to see an option to double click on the commander of a particular unit thereby selecting all elements of that unit then give just him a series of waypoints and all his subordinate units follow him.

You can already do that, double click on a company commander and you select all of the units under his command, give a movement order and they all get it as well.

You can already do that, double click on a company commander and you select all of the units under his command, give a movement order and they all get it as well.

Thanks Raptorx7, yes I know this but what I meant was that all units would follow the commanders waypoints. Very useful for road travelling.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely zero authority to make anyone an "Honourary Canuck". In fact neither would the Prime MInister, if we had one.

Well considering honourary citizenship doesn't really mean anything any way I say go ahead. :)

How is snow modelled in CMFI? (I don't have it). Is it just white surfaces but no effect on gameplay (no slower movement, etc for men or vehicles? Increased chances of bogging or immobilization?).

If they include that, would that not be ported over to Bulge and be sufficient? 

Ah trick question there :)

Yes, the snow modelled in CMFI has effects on game play, slower movement more tiring etc.)  and Yes it looks like a white surface. 

And given that the official announcement says no new features and snow will be included I think that the snow effects will be ported over and be quite sufficient.