More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

Of course there will be new features, people. :D

Chris said that he only had a couple of screenshots to share, since most of the new stuff is still being textured. Stop panicking for Heaven's sake. BF never disappoints. These guys aren't dumb, they know what people expect from a Bulge game and that includes fog, deep snow etc.

Just relax and wait. All will be well. I'm sure those guys at BF are laughing their heads off, because of our comments, based on two tiny screenshots.

Edited by Aragorn2002

buy, under several conditions (very small)
- New UI (all orders must be visible)
- New effects for fire, explosion and smoke - now it looks very archaic; (
and some minor bug fixes
- After the explosion of the tank should be several damaged parts - or should "disappear" after being hit bomb
- A new cloud shadows - crisper / visible
- A new and separate ambient for winter and winter wind

I look forward to these amendments for 8 years

and some minor bug fixes
- After the explosion of the tank should be several damaged parts - or should "disappear" after being hit bomb
- A new cloud shadows - crisper / visible
- A new and separate ambient for winter and winter wind

I look forward to these amendments for 8 years

I don't like the muzzle flashes in the video you posted, too much slow yellow "candyfloss" fire for my taste.. but the impacts look quite nice. It's one of my pet peeves about movies that they use gasoline explosions to depict artillery/rockets etc.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Of course there will be new features, people. :D

Chris said that he only had a couple of screenshots to share, since most of the new stuff is still being textured. Stop panicking for Heaven's sake. BF never disappoints. These guys aren't dumb, they know what people expect from a Bulge game and that includes fog, deep snow etc.

Just relax and wait. All will be well. I'm sure those guys at BF are laughing their heads off, because of our comments, based on two tiny screenshots.

It does seem like very little to base so much on, doesn't it? I remember Bil Hardenberger's AAR for CMBS where it was a playable game they were willing to let us see, and even so late in the development process he indicated there were some things he wasn't showing because it was not representative of what it would look like by the end. I'd say we're earlier in the process for this game, so it seems premature to be so worried at this stage. :)

My initial response was "looks flat" when I saw the screenshots, that's why I raised the question if graphics looked like a step back compared to other CMx 2 releases. I also think that this is mostly due to the winter landscape and the ability of the engine to present it properly. Don't remember how it looked it CMFI but I don't remember reacting too negativily when I saw it for the first time.  What makes it so dull are all the distinct borders between the roads, landscape and the houses. Roads can be snow covered, paritly covered, muddy etc. They can also be a mix, in the screenshot the road has one certain texture and snow another and there is a sharp line dividing them, it would be nice if there were some blending effects between them. This applies to all terrain types. Snow is never completely white  so there should be some variation. Some volume and ability to leave tracks in the snow would also add to the right feeling.

Edited by Tank Hunter

...ability to leave tracks in the snow would also add to the right feeling.

Whatever the snow looks like, don't hold onto any hopes this will be added for Bulge. CMx3 or CMx4 or whatever they call the version after they switch graphics environments, perhaps, but not with the current FoW architecture, probably ever. For the same reason fortifications are a kludge, and destroyed terrain features (fences, buildings, craters) are all visible immediately. BFC give the strong impression that these are intractable core elements of the architecture and for practical purposes un"fixable". You could have tracks in the snow, but they'd give away the position of whatever was making those tracks to the enemy as soon as the tracks were made.

I think Tank Hunter is correct, there will be no "major" changes and no new terrain or graphic features in the Bulge game.

The speed at which new features get included into CMx2 is very slowww...

Dont expect anything "major" new in the Bulge game. It could be just a Normandy module but BFC decided to release it as a standalone.

Edited by Wiggum15

I think Tank Hunter is correct, there will be no "major" changes and no new terrain or graphic features in the Bulge game.

The speed at which new features get included into CMx2 is very slowww...

Dont expect anything "major" new in the Bulge game. It could be just a Normandy module but BFC decided to release it as a standalone.

Dude, you need to hug a kitten or something, do you have anything positive to say, or at least constructive?

Edited by Raptorx7

It's already been stated by Steve those sorts of things are not going to change with the current engine being used.

Dude, you need to hug a kitten or something, do you have anything positive to say, or at least constructive?

Constructive ?

Is BFC giving away the game for free ?

No, they sell it full price and i pay full price. With that i also get the right to complain.

What should i say "constructive" ?

- BFC, what about a new UI ? -> Will never ever happen to CMx2

- BFC i think you should include new terrain and graphic features for snow in the bulge game, what about that ? -> Will not happen with the current engine or is "to much work"...

Im just not one of those guys who (in absence of any official BFC employee in this forum) gives excuses for really everything thats wrong with the game (since 7+ years...)

Oh and yes i have many positive things to say about CMx2, otherwise i would not use my money to buy it.

Edited by Wiggum15

Constructive ?

Is BFC giving away the game for free ?

No, they sell it full price and i pay full price. With that i also get the right to complain.

What should i say "constructive" ?

- BFC, what about a new UI ? -> Will never ever happen to CMx2

- BFC i think you should include new terrain and graphic features for snow in the bulge game, what about that ? -> Will not happen with the current engine or is "to much work"...

Im just not one of those guys who (in absence of any official BFC employee in this forum) gives excuses for really everything thats wrong with the game (since 7+ years...)

Oh and yes i have many positive things to say about CMx2, otherwise i would not use my money to buy it.

What is the point of typing anything with that mindset, if you think nothing will ever change what is the point of complaining and whining about it in every single thread, I would have no problem with it if you went from saying "BFC DRM is horrible it needs to be fixed immediately" to "BFC DRM is horrible here is what I think can be done to improve it".

One makes you sound like you are just whining, especially when its every single post you make, and the other is constructive and applies a new point of view. I have been critical of BFC on many a topic, but when I did complain I like to think I tried to suggest something afterwords instead of just saying "this sucks".

Edited by Raptorx7

Actually Steve did talk about doing work on the UI, he just said however that was a project in itself and wasn't sure when they would get to it. Not just re skinning it but a revamp. So first off you are again probably wrong, but we are used to that. You just have to be willing to accept BF owns the game and they will decide when that particular project hits the top of their priority list. Saying are we there yet over and over won't get us there any faster nor will hyperbole about what BF is capable of doing within either the scope of their workload or financial considerations of changes.

CMBS added a lot of features that could eventually make it into the WW2 setting and BF will do that when they are ready

DUKW anyone?

Again, whats the point of "Constructive feedback" if BFC seems to ignore this forum and has left many things the players complained about unfixed in nearly 8 years ?

Once again, an extremely vague and negative post. What has gone complained about and unfixed in 8 years, and why do you think BFC ignores the forums (Especially when I see Steve and Chris posting quite frequently).

Elaborate on those points and you may actually start to effect change.

[...]and why do you think BFC ignores the forums (Especially when I see Steve and Chris posting quite frequently)

Yeah, Steve posting about his opinion about Russian politics and Chris cautions users from time to time...did i miss something ?

Sorry i dont want to be offensive but thats all i heard from them in the last few months...

Edited by Wiggum15

Yeah, Steve posting about his opinion about Russian politics and Chris cautions users from time to time...did i miss something ?

Well, your posting in a thread Chris made right now...and Steve frequently drops clues or answers questions in some threads if he is asked directly.

Edited by Raptorx7

battlefront fanatics will always defend the game.improvement comes from criticism and whining 

Along with dreaming and naievety?

There is a difference between constructive criticism and what you and Wiggum do. Clue: what you two do is waste electrons and the epithelials that get scraped off your finger ends onto your keyboards (at least in regard to achieving meaningful changes in the game). Claiming that BFC don't listen to the user base when they've put so many features in that have been asked for that they initially thought were unnecessary (Target Armour arcs, Command lines, flame weapons leap to mind) and fixed any number of bugs and oopsies that have been brought to their attention by the user base is frankly plain ignorant. BFC have always said the game is a work in progress, and you are always welcome to decline to buy a new family if you don't think it's worth the money. Deciding at the pre-alpha stage that it's not going to be worth the money is, again, plain ignorant.

Fortunately for everyone, BFC have pretty thick skins by now, so I don't expect the cavailing and hand-wringing is actually going to stop them giving sneak previews, but you could understand if they were a bit reluctant to tell us anything in future. And one day they'll decide it's not worth the trouble any more, and I don't see anyone else stepping into the breach, so how about not pissing them off any more than absolutely necessary, huh?

Claiming that BFC don't listen to the user base when they've put so many features in that have been asked for that they initially thought were unnecessary (Target Armour arcs, Command lines, flame weapons leap to mind)

...you mean features that already were in CMx1 and suddenly disappeared in CMx2 ?

Sorry i dont want to be offensive but thats all i heard from them in the last few months...

My impression: Wiggum, you seem to have a Freudian love/hate relationship going on with Battlefront. I find it reminiscent of of that classic study in contrasts, Sonny and Michael Corleone in the Godfather. It’s no surprise the two sons aren’t exactly BFFS, but in a weird way, they sort of need each other. And they have almost nothing to learn from the wimpy middle brother, Fredo. I'm glad you're not Fredo. ;)

My impression: Wiggum, you seem to have a Freudian love/hate relationship going on with Battlefront. I find it reminiscent of of that classic study in contrasts, Sonny and Michael Corleone in the Godfather. It’s no surprise the two sons aren’t exactly BFFS, but in a weird way, they sort of need each other. And they have almost nothing to learn from the wimpy middle brother, Fredo. I'm glad you're not Fredo. ;)

Thats actually true.

Everytime i play CMx2 i think about how much better it could be if the developers had choosen another engine that wouldn't get the game stuck into a "dead end" from which there is no escape.

CM needs three things, a more flexible engine (that means new features can be included easier and there arent that many "dead ends"), a ArmA like editor and a more appealing user interface.

There are so many shortcomings and problems with the CMx2 games but its still the best 3D tactical wargame out there and really fun to play most of the time...

Edited by Wiggum15

Fortunately for everyone, BFC have pretty thick skins by now, so I don't expect the cavailing and hand-wringing is actually going to stop them giving sneak previews, but you could understand if they were a bit reluctant to tell us anything in future.

Sorry but everyone sees that these screenshots are ugly, they better did not post them at all (and i think they show nothing you could not already do with the existing games/modules and some bmp editing... :rolleyes: )

Edited by Wiggum15

Along with dreaming and naievety?

There is a difference between constructive criticism and what you and Wiggum do. Clue: what you two do is waste electrons and the epithelials that get scraped off your finger ends onto your keyboards (at least in regard to achieving meaningful changes in the game). Claiming that BFC don't listen to the user base when they've put so many features in that have been asked for that they initially thought were unnecessary (Target Armour arcs, Command lines, flame weapons leap to mind) and fixed any number of bugs and oopsies that have been brought to their attention by the user base is frankly plain ignorant. BFC have always said the game is a work in progress, and you are always welcome to decline to buy a new family if you don't think it's worth the money. Deciding at the pre-alpha stage that it's not going to be worth the money is, again, plain ignorant.

Fortunately for everyone, BFC have pretty thick skins by now, so I don't expect the cavailing and hand-wringing is actually going to stop them giving sneak previews, but you could understand if they were a bit reluctant to tell us anything in future. And one day they'll decide it's not worth the trouble any more, and I don't see anyone else stepping into the breach, so how about not pissing them off any more than absolutely necessary, huh?

no i ll continue to piss them off ,legaly. I do not mind sneak peak reviews, nor did i say that i wont buy this game. all i said was: not good as it could be (realistically good,not pure imagination). we are starting to see a pattern: create 2 or 5 new vehicles ,add new formations (same weapons,maybe some minor changes) , make 100 maps out of which at least 50 are complete crap. (digression: some maps from RT are ported to BS..) call it a new game and charge 55 dollars. shadows,shaders,sounds,animations all same,its just a reskin. i know,cm is best game in this genre and beyond, but facts are facts. i cannot be bfc fanatic. one guy saying this is nothing, but 400 people saying it would definatelly change something. and i think its rightful demand. Bring more ,bring more features,do not make reskins all the time. i can live with cm's state for now ,but naturally i want better productS

edit: also, patches or fixes , shouldnt be seen as ' favor'. they are there because game wasnt polished enough.they know that if they make crappy buggy game and give no patches,they ll be gone.its a natural process,repairing your body

Edited by Lacroix