More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

And they had a devastating impact. To the point that German troops refused to leave their bunkers. Interestingly the Germans were on their way to producing an equivalent weapon by 1940 but, by a fuhrer decree, it was postponed in favor of projects that were applicable to the upcoming Barbarossa campaign. They developed a working prototype in 1944 but it was too late for meaningful production.

How would VT fuses not be applicable to Barbarossa? Simply lack of imagination or understanding on the hitlers' part? Edited by Sublime

@Wiggum15, it's not that I think the graphics are perfect or aren't worth improving.

It's just that on my list of things-I-would-change-if-I-could-snap-my-fingers-and-make-it-so, the graphics aren't high on the list.  Better is always better, but I find the current graphics plenty good enough so that I can enjoy the game.

How would VT fuses not be applicable to Barbarossa? Simply lack of imagination or understanding on the hitlers' part?

Ease of production. Barbarossa needed quantity to equip 4 million assaulting troops, alot of existing designs were simplified (like the PanzerBusche), and alot more planned designs were accorded low priority, like the Pak40, which didn't enter production until 1942 as a result.

I top would don't care about graphics improvements if they would improve the gameplay and realism, maybe overhaul the infantry combat or improve the TacAi.

But I highly doubt any significant gameplay improvements will be included in the bulge game...

I don't think that it is that much that is 'wrong' with the out of the box stuff but some things CAN BE, and ACTUALLY ARE improved by the MODDERS.

To name the two biggest improvements the MODDERS bring to the game imo that would be...

WEATHERED VEICHLES and IMPROVMENTS to the UI

I don't think that there are very many players that HAVE NOT downloaded ALL of Aris and Kiemes weathered veichles as well as juju's UI for example...

There's nothing 'wrong' with the stock veichle textures but they may look a bit to BRAND NEW...

It has become more or less 'rutin' that some talented MODDERS set about to edit these veichles as soon as the games come out and as i said...this modding brings some increased activity to the forum...wich i think BFC likes.

Had these MODDERS not been around i think that BFC themself would indeed 'improve' the STOCK veichle textures in a simular way before releasing the game...

As things are now...that is not neccesary and i think/hope that the MODDERS actually enjoys editing these things.

This allows BFC to spend more time on other things like the VEICHLE MODELS, SOLDIER MODELS, ANIMATIONS and stuff like that that they do VERY WELL !

The veichle- and soldier models are indeed VERY GOOD !

Most of the terrain graphics are also GOOD right out of the box but the MODDERS brings some improvements to this to.

Things like the SUN EFFECTS are also very nice...So NO, the game is not 'BAD' when it comes out of the box...FAR FROM IT !

The things i did not like about the BULGE photos was not the textures (these can- and hopefully will be modded).

It was the flattness of the snow graphics...on the ground, on the vegitation, on the buildings and on the veicles.

As i mentioned earlier in this thread...THE BULGE GAME will be the first BASEGAME based on winter conditions.

I had hoped to see some more 3d effects/depth to the snow grapics and when i questioned why they showed us these pictures this is what i ment.

The WINTER CONDITION is one of the PRIMARY features of this game and this BONE showed nothing new in this regard...or to be honest...Nothing new at all...

Thats why i think that showing these pictures now, in this state, might have been a bit premature...Yes...It's aplha but why not wait

Better to wait until some NEW stuff could be shown...

I'm sorry if i'm sounding negative but i really do want nice winter graphics/effects for the future CM games... B)

Internet-capslock-cruisecontrol2.jpg

And, that said, I am one of those who's tried and then discarded Aris's mods. I frankly find his style of weathering to be way overdone, and I don't want to constantly check the forums to see if he's released something new or to find out why a certain mod doesn't work with another one. And yes, I do find the stock textures to be just fine. 

Edited by LukeFF

Night Combat is another thing that already was bad in SF and in 8 years never got improved.

In order to have decent night combat we really need to have flares added to the game - at least for WW2 combat.  We would also need to have muzzle flash effects as well as non reciprocal LOS between units in lighted areas and units in unlighted areas.  Perhaps even troops getting lost and troops firing at shadows as well.  It's probably possible to get away with not having flares for modern night combat.  There must be some complicated issues with all of these issues or I'm pretty confident that they would have been addressed by now.  When CMBN was first released I seem to recall that the lighting was not dynamic or at least there was something that was messing with the lighting because there were some odd effects.  I think that was addressed with version 2 of the engine when CMFI was released so some progress was made because I'm sure you have to have some advanced in game lighting effects to have flares, as well as having the ability to locate the flares in the sky above the battlefield somehow.  Certainly we would need better night combat effects if the game is to go to North Africa or perhaps even to the PTO since there was a lot of night fighting in North Africa and the Japanese preferred to fight and attack at night. 

Please note that I'm not making any suggestions that any games are planned for North Africa or for the Pacific (because I don't know one way or the other), but if such a game was contemplated for the future I think the night aspects of the game would need to be addressed.

Edited by ASL Veteran

I don't dissagree with you...I just think the modded ones are better...

And i shall do my best to stop using CAPs if that what you mean ? B)

And that's the great thing about mods - they suit those who have different tastes. :)

Re: ALL CAPS: yeah, it can make reading messages like that a bit difficult. 

Edited by LukeFF

In order to have decent night combat we really need to have flares added to the game - at least for WW2 combat.  We would also need to have muzzle flash effects as well as non reciprocal LOS between units in lighted areas and units in unlighted areas.

1- BF will argue that flares are already simulated by the faded enemy icons present at the start of most battles. The level of reconnaissance quality is set by the maker of the scenario. The opening day of the Bulge will be a good example. 

2- Realistic muzzle effects may be a way of reflecting the Germans' tactical advantage due to their smokeless and flashless powder. The coding may prove challenging.

1- BF will argue that flares are already simulated by the faded enemy icons present at the start of most battles. The level of reconnaissance quality is set by the maker of the scenario. The opening day of the Bulge will be a good example. 

2- Realistic muzzle effects may be a way of reflecting the Germans' tactical advantage due to their smokeless and flashless powder. The coding may prove challenging.

Nah, Steve knows what would be required for flares and I don't think he would classify the initial intelligence information as equivalent to using flares, although of course he can speak for himself if he chooses to.  I am pretty confident that most of the night fighting issues are known and simply haven't been addressed yet due to coding limitations with the game that would need to be addressed, if it is possible to deal with them at all (only Charles or Phil could speak to that).

Sublime,

The Germans had no less than three different proximity fuze programs going by war's end, using a bunch of different triggering phenomena. That's as reported, based on reviewing the actual intel (B.I.O.S. and C.I.O.S.)assessments, by the man who ultimately retired as Chief of Technology of the Italian Air Force. PM me for citation, if interested. Sorry. Can't recommend you for MoH!

ASL Veteran,

We've needed flares in CM ever since CM began. Flares figure in warfare at least as far back as WW I. Their existence provides quite a check on night ops, and that's true regardless of theater and, to a large degree, year clear up to now. The more I read, for example, the more amazed I am to find how many GPW Russian attacks were made at night. Dealing with such matters requires flares of every sort: trip flares, flare pistol launched ones and illumination rounds. 

Childress,

To me, the argument you say Steve would make seems ridiculous on the face of it. I believe the problem has always been the huge load dynamic lighting would impose on processors. 

kohlenklau,

Decades ago I was attending a weekend seminar, and Adrienne Barbeau, a friend of the seminar leader, showed up in all her considerable feminine glory wearing a tan and a tight white linen pants suit with plunging neckline! Unsurprisingly, that was a bit of a distraction to the attendees. Sure was for me. If you like the pic you posted, be advised there's one on Google Images which is autographed and, as they say, NSFW (or here, for that matter).

Regards,

John Kettler

Flares: I tried an experiment (which failed obviously). I was in CMFI. Night time. I had US paratroopers defending against a German attack. In the scenario editor I bought 5 burning jeeps and set them as R1 reinforcement group at T=5 minute arrival. Deployed out along where the Germans would be walking by. The "flares" appeared and made a shimmery burning glow but alas the loop is not closed to the spotting system to make them visible to the defenders...

Indeed, Kohlenkau. BFC have said there is no nighttime illumination and point light source code in the game at the moment; the bright patches around burning vehicles have no mechanical effect. Dynamic lighting would allow some exciting other effects as well, such as concealment in shadows. Rather too much for most rigs to handle on top of what they already have to deal with in CMx2 under the current graphics environment, I'd guess.

I keep wondering about deep snow and how it will be handled. Will it block line of sight but be penetrable?. I assume moving through deep snow will be more difficult but how will that be presented?. Will we see soldiers and vehicles sinking into it? Can you dig into it, out of it? Will we see tracks? Will tracks give away fog of war?. Stay tuned!

lol i think there wont be deep snow at all

Yes, the snow modelled in CMFI has effects on game play, slower movement more tiring etc.)  and Yes it looks like a white surface. 

And given that the official announcement says no new features and snow will be included I think that the snow effects will be ported over and be quite sufficient.

I agree, If everyone had  one vote would they vote for:

a. Snow that looks like powdered sugar

or

b. Snow that looks like talcum powder