More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

CMBS added a lot of features that could eventually make it into the WW2 setting and BF will do that when they are ready

DUKW anyone?

You sure? DUKWs were most prominently employed at Normandy, a battle type that doesn't lend itself to compelling CM scenarios. Note their absence in the CMBN release. Their main contribution in other theatres was ferrying supplies to beachheads. For direct applicability to existing CM titles simple rowboats suffice, i.e. Robert Redford paddling furiously across the Waal in A Bridge Too Far. But then, new animations required. And is it worth it for a handful of battles?

Edited by Childress

You sure? DUKWs were most prominently employed at Normandy, a battle type that doesn't lend itself to compelling CM scenarios. Note their absence in the CMBN release. Their main contribution in other theatres was ferrying supplies to beachheads. For direct applicability to existing CM titles simple rowboats suffice, i.e. Robert Redford paddling furiously across the Waal in A Bridge Too Far. But then, new animations required. And is it worth it for a handful of battles?

Yeah or those rubber boats/rafts the Polish brigade tried to cross the river in and the Polish general played by Gene Hackman ordered them to go and then flares illuminate them (note their absence in CMBN) and they were salughtered by machine gune fire

they sell it full price and i pay full price. With that i also get the right to complain.

no i ll continue to piss them off

Wow you guys have reached an all new low around here.  Near constant whining and no valuable input.  I think my ignore list will be growing soon.  It is official I'm calling you a

Wambulance_2f3fea_372654.jpg

Wow you guys have reached an all new low around here.  Near constant whining and no valuable input.  I think my ignore list will be growing soon.  It is official I'm calling you a

Wambulance_2f3fea_372654.jpg

Putting everyone who is not happy with everything BFC does on your Ignore list just shows how much of a (so called) "Fanboy" you and some others here are.

"Near constant whining and no valuable input", should i laugh ?

The only "valuable input" for you is if someone cheers BFC like a little cheerleader !

There is a technical bug report thread -> Hell no thats not a bug/issue, buy a new PC and shut up !

Someone points out a spotting issue -> Stop complaining the spotting model is to complex for you to understand, thats all !

A guy points out the lack of progress of the CMx2 Engine games -> Vote him down, and tell him how he is just constantly whining !

Someone request a new feature -> Shut up dude, BFC has "other work" to do !

...just pathetic !

Maybe iam to negative towards BFC and CMx2, but some of you alre clearly way to positive about every aspect of CMx2 and BFC as a company !

So i just try to balance things a bit...

Edited by Wiggum15

...you mean features that already were in CMx1 and suddenly disappeared in CMx2 ?

You do know that CMx2 was written from the ground up, don't you? And that the environment is different? And that CMx1 wasn't perfect?

Or maybe you think it was perfect and should be playing that.

And IanL isn't putting you on his ignore list because you aren't happy with everything BFC does; I'm not happy with everything BFC does, and I'm not on his ignore list. He's putting you on his ignore list because of your attitude and lack of anything useful to say. Very nearly every time you post, it's a dig at BFC.

Your hyperbole is so one-eyed: you assume that because people disagree with you on certain points they think CM is perfect. You've gone far enough now that I can't be bothered to refute your nonsense; you won't listen. I'll leave you to carry on living in your own solipsistic little world where you're always right.

I look forward for the bulge title. I am also among those who thought about it as one of the modules for combat mission normandy, ever since CMBN was released.

We had two major releases this year and the last, CMRT and CMBS. They both deserved to be stand-alone, new, titles, because of several reasons.

If you think about it, CMRT introduced flamethrowers, tank riders, a brand new army such as the Russian, and it was the first title of CM2x series depicting the eastern front.

On the other hand CMBS introduced several new game mechanics (ampbihious vehicles, APS, UAV,  precision arty etc.) and a new modern setting since CMSF.

So, I really wonder how this bulge title can claim to deserve its own legacy as a stand alone title such as CMRT and CMBS.

So, I really wonder how this bulge title can claim to deserve its own legacy as a stand alone title such as CMRT and CMBS.

Sorry, to keep nagging about this....

But it has atleast been my impression that the bulge games 'big one' and main selling point will be...

New winterconditions (Graphics, effects, gameplay functions...)...and i still hope (trust) it will be.

"BFC have never dissapointed yet"...true, true...But if BFC decides to port the snow effects from CMFI then this will be a first for BFC imo...a dissapointment !

But i don't think they will dissapoint ^_^

I will try to reduce your post in the quote to its core...

Or maybe you think [CMx1] it was perfect and should be playing that.

[...]your attitude and lack of anything useful to say. Very nearly every time you post, it's a dig at BFC.

[...]you assume that because people disagree with you on certain points they think CM is perfect. [...]your nonsense; you won't listen. I'll leave you to carry on living in your own solipsistic little world where you're always right.

Here we go again, the typical attitude of this forum towards users who focus on (or point out) the issues of CMx2...

a ) tell them to play another game and shut up

b ) tell them they are idiots who talk nonsense

c ) bash them and/or call them names

...as always.

Sorry, to keep nagging about this....

But it has atleast been my impression that the bulge games 'big one' and main selling point will be...

New winterconditions (Graphics, effects, gameplay functions...)...and i still hope (trust) it will be.

"BFC have never dissapointed yet"...true, true...But if BFC decides to port the snow effects from CMFI then this will be a first for BFC imo...a dissapointment !

But i don't think they will dissapoint ^_^

But why did they not announce new winter-condition features already ?

If they are currently working on them and dont know how they will end up they could at least write something like:

"We are currently working on..."

or

"We plan to include..."

That they say nothing about it tells me they will just port over CMFI "snow" and give it new textures. We all know BFC has other, more important work to do...

Edited by Wiggum15

Here we go again, the typical attitude of this forum towards users who focus on (or point out) the issues of CMx2...

a ) tell them to play another game and shut up

b ) tell them they are idiots who talk nonsense

c ) bash them and/or call them names

...as always.

And haters going to hate.

oooh I love that phrase.

Wiggum: you're engaging in asymmetric warfare. You can type any old nonsense as fast as you can vomit it up and call it argument. Shooting you down in flames takes time and effort that you're not worth. So you can rant all you like; this'll be the last time I waste any epithelial cells or electrons responding. Ta-ta.

I noticed the other day that I haven't even seen any "there was a post here, but you're ignoring the author" for a long time from the sub-handful of people who've graduated onto that list... Looks like ignoring the garbage is the best way of reducing it. Another way the Internet doesn't mirror real life. Tends to suggest their ilk are only here for the argument, not to make any positive change. Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.

I dont normally use this but...LOL

Really, telling someone who bought the games and plays them that a discussion is not worth it because he is a troll who dont want positive change...

The people who actually dont want "positive change" are you and some others who deny really every issue of CMx2 and the way BFC handles them, you are happy with everything BFC puts out and puts a 55$ price tag on anyway!

Why are you here ? Just to tell everyone who wants some change that his opinion is invalid ?

Again...LOL !

People demand a reworked UI (for the next title), you tell them its not worth BFC's time and there opinion does not matter anyway because they are just negative trolls, thats why this forum has a very specific reputation amongst the non-fanboys.

Edited by Wiggum15

And the gebirgsjager too! Im honestly surprised how many people have expressed little interest in end of war Europe 45. Tactically you have imo some of the best and most varied matchups of the war. Of course Bulge initially only goes to January but i love accounts of the Western and especially Soviet advances into the Reich. Im dying for Battle of Berlin. The Riesberg battle in CMBO is what made me fall in love with Combat Mission..back in the beta demo days

I look forward for the bulge title. I am also among those who thought about it as one of the modules for combat mission normandy, ever since CMBN was released.

We had two major releases this year and the last, CMRT and CMBS. They both deserved to be stand-alone, new, titles, because of several reasons.

If you think about it, CMRT introduced flamethrowers, tank riders, a brand new army such as the Russian, and it was the first title of CM2x series depicting the eastern front.

On the other hand CMBS introduced several new game mechanics (ampbihious vehicles, APS, UAV,  precision arty etc.) and a new modern setting since CMSF.

Hey Kieme,

Actually the rationale for what makes a new title versus a module has never been about what gets added.CMBN could have tank riders, but it is a lot of work coding the hotspots on the vehicles.  However BF could have added CMRT as a module with Russia as a region and no availability of western allied formations.  Add the hot spots on the vehicles for the Russian front and we would have had CMBN, with a Russian front option.  The underlying game engine is the same.

The rationale though is that from BF's side there are two things. 

1 - Business decisions.  How much labor is involved and how much do they charge.  They could have added RT as a module and charged the full price.  There would have been some complaining, but if there is one thing we could be assured of here is someone is always complaining about pricing.

2 - Managing the game itself.  This is more the basis for BF's decisions as far as I can tell from the couple of times Steve has commented.  Trying to pile too much into a title create it's own issues.  BF seems to feel pretty strongly that there will only be so much content per title/family and that seems to be more a coding concern.  What the concern is and impact of trying to just keep adding content I don't know. 

Personally I would much prefer if Bulge were simply an extension of CMBN, but the decision to go with a new family has been made by people who know far more about what that means to the game than I do.  BF has always made decisions that I think are well based in the two most important things to all of us - 1- BF survive to continue making the series and 2 - that the game be as rock solid stable as possible.  CM does not crash on me almost ever.  In fact beyond stuff in the process of beta testing I don't think I have ever had the game crash since the very early days of CMBN.

Edited by sburke

And haters going to hate.

oooh I love that phrase.

Yeah it sums things up neatly in a simple phrase without wasting to much effort pointing out the specific failings of logic or civility.  Saves a lot of time and get the point a cross.

And IanL isn't putting you on his ignore list because you aren't happy with everything BFC does; I'm not happy with everything BFC does, and I'm not on his ignore list. He's putting you on his ignore list because of your attitude and lack of anything useful to say. Very nearly every time you post, it's a dig at BFC.

Exactly, I admit sometimes people's antics can get me upset even though I try and not get bent out of shape.  My goal is to be helpful to people looking for information.  I think it speaks volumes that you are attacking guys like @womble who is one of the most helpful and least up your nose guys around here.  Sure @sburke and I can snark back every now and then so you can argue that we "deserve it" (I think the argument is a failing one but you can make it).  Anyway the best thing for me is to just ignore it and this new forum nicely hides meanness.  Then I will not be tempted to call you on it and get you all upset an whinny.  I will strive to be more like @womble since I think his posting style is among the best, most useful and that is something to strive for.

I dont normally use this but...LOL

Really, telling someone who bought the games and plays them that a discussion is not worth it because he is a troll who dont want positive change...

The people who actually dont want "positive change" are you and some others who deny really every issue of CMx2 and the way BFC handles them, you are happy with everything BFC puts out and puts a 55$ price tag on anyway!

Why are you here ? Just to tell everyone who wants some change that his opinion is invalid ?

Again...LOL !

People demand a reworked UI (for the next title), you tell them its not worth BFC's time and there opinion does not matter anyway because they are just negative trolls, thats why this forum has a very specific reputation amongst the non-fanboys.

See this is where you have blinders on.  You assume because people don't agree with your particular perspective that they aren't critical of aspects of the game.  Fundamentally just wrong.  Just the tiny example of the UI.  Steve himself has said he wants to redo the UI.  He just wants to do it when he can focus on it.  Your response above is a blatant alteration of what has been said to fit your own "victimization" perception.

Perhaps you should look back at your own posts.  When are you ever positive and how often do you repeat the "it has been broken for 7 years" mantra?  Folks aren't even responding to the content of your posts (of which there isn't much) but their tone.  Simply put  you are ALWAYS negative and it is always this over the top "BF doesn't give a s**t about us and are just taking our money" tone.  It gets old man. 

And then  it just gets weird- why the heck did you make Ian and I "friends"?  I don't mind, I am not even sure what that does on the forum, I haven't marked anyone as a friend.  It is just a little weird though considering you have come darn close to calling us both "fanbois".

This forum does not have a "particular reputation among the non fan boys" excepting maybe it is far less tolerant of trolls.

And then  it just gets weird- why the heck did you make Ian and I "friends"?  I don't mind, I am not even sure what that does on the forum, I haven't marked anyone as a friend.  It is just a little weird though considering you have come darn close to calling us both "fanbois".

He just wants to stalk us. He's the fourth name on my ignore list, and one of those has been banned and the others haven't posted for months.

For me it's very much the historical aspect.  The Bulge was the largest single battle for the US forces in Europe, fought in conditions and terrain starkly different than Normandy.  The forces involved, both Allied and German were much different than the forces that fought it out in the summer (in terms of material and manning), and just when you get down to it, there just is not the sort of carry-over you really need to make it a module.  

If you're going to do games about the western allies, with D-Day at the starting point, the initial landing, the breakout, and then the end of that "home in time for Christmas!" phase with the collapse of Market Garden is a really good range for the first game to cover, with the battles to breach the Siegfried Line (Aachen for instance) through VE Day serving as the second game+modules serves quite well.

The centrality to Normandy to all World War Two games is a bit annoying at times given the seven or so months of fighting that occurred after France was pretty well wrapped up.  Having a game that is not struggling to give us both St Lo, and Remagen is the best choice.  

and I repeat it again - I want to see improved in the new CMB:
- Textures of snow - I do not want to look at a copy transferred from CMFI
- Sounds (separate ambient for winter)
- New volumetric effects
- Particle effects
- New UI
- I do not want to look at is not scratched tank - air bomb hit

fixes, which I'm waiting for 8 years.

we should make ceasefire,people have different opinions, not only about ' is X or Y good or bad''  , but actually what X or Y is or does it even exist. these semi hostile discussions wont do anything good. no matter whos right or wrong. this forum is too small for such things. i think we should refrain from sarcastic,rude or 'superior' responses, nobody here is retard or dumb. we disagree about certian things and thats it ,just move on or respond with sincere honesty/respect (yes i am not excluded)

So, does the BFC "team" all work from their own homes from various places around the globe? Or is there a cool office and they have posters up and sit around and have a beer together after a long day of working on the new Bulge game?

And maybe guys run in with a German parka and lay it on the table to take HD photos of it in some back room? Those German Y-straps always look like actual photographs on the file bmp's to me at least.

Or maybe they just work from separately via the "cloud" and do a lot of conference calls.... that would suck, I'd want to be face to face and have the beers. 

Just one last thing from me on this, putting people with a different opinion on your ignore list is most likely the cheapest thing you can do on a forum.

But if the "everything is right with CMx2 and nothing needs to be changed" guys dont want to read about different opinions thats fine...

As we know now, this thread is NOT about discussing the bulge game and what we the customers expect from it, its just for people who are drooling on it !

And the "Steve has said he want to..." stuff reminds me about kids telling their parents that they will clean up their room...but after 7 years its still a bit of a mess.

Edited by Wiggum15