Non-gameplay improvements to CM

Since the Devs seem to be bored to death I think it is time again for such a thread. :)

Rule: nothing that directly affects gameplay

- visual indicators for the various toggle able states (smoke on/off etc…)

- the name of the game in the password screen

- ‚cancel‘ after red button

- more statistics after end of game

- a compass

- a wind indicator

- start/stop replay with space bar

- frame by frame forward/back for replay (for screenshots)

- align map to cardinal directions (for screenshots)

- start save game by double-clicking

- during setup: cursor indication if this unit can setup in this zone

- separate movement and placement orders during setup (to be able to plot movement through a setup zone)

- ‚quick save‘ with a shortcut

- an indication which sides turn it is in the load game dialogue (when turns get mixed up)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-more texture sets:

-specific (different) textures for tall wall / short wall [now they are shared]

-specific texture tile for wall end, border [now shared with wall side]

-specific texture for "middle" Windows of modular buildings

-more variety when it comes to roof models / frame-details

-normal maps for vehicle textures / ground textures / troops textures

-more variety when it comes to troop headgear, such as helmets + caps

-reworked tree models to better fit long distance drawing and easier to mod

-more options to tweak distance of objects drawing

More detailed information about vehicles and units.

A little encyclopedia article (think a wikipedia article) that gives you some basic background about that type of unit. Maybe with additional info related to the time period that the game/module covers. If anyone has played the Total War games, especially the first Rome game, you'll be familiar with this.

In addition to that basic info about the unit's capabilities would be nice.

During QB purchase you don't no that a PSW 222 as a 20mm autocannon and a PSW 223 has a MG34. What is the diff. between an early and late PzIV?

Improved animations. Esp the running animation. Also like to see abit more chrome like wiping brow, checking weapon however what would be truly superb is if they gave hand signals corresponding to he order given!

That is all eye candy, but I'd love it. Maybe an FO pull out a map when placing an arty or CAS request with the radio handset in hand. :D

also jumping fences/walls. The neck stretch thing makes my stomach queasy

I still would like a 'throw grenades' option. It seems like a relatively common command at close quarters. I think there have been some arguments against but I can't remember what they are. This wouldn't stop troops using their normal AI if an enemy pops up elsewhere.

Yea, a grenade order would be great. I recently got very angry with a scenario where a 6 Russians were dug in on the top of a little plateau. My men were maybe 5-10 meters away at most and tossing a bundle of grenades would ahve cleared them out. Instead it became a game of trying to suppress them by firing at the lip of the hill and running enough bodies up to ensure someone would shoot them.

- colored changes in elevation. Lower the ground the darker the overlay, the higher the ground the brighter the overlay.

There's probably a good reason why we can't have this, but I'd like to be able to repeat the review of the last turn in between giving orders.

On large maps, I section down the battlefield, so what I'm after is the ability to review, and then issue orders, and then move onto the next area I wish to concentrate on, review again from that viewpoint, and issue orders to the units in that field of view. Rinse and repeat until I have covered all the sections of the battlefield. then submit.

And on that note, a submit confirmation dialog!!!

- separate movement and placement orders during setup (to be able to plot movement through a setup zone)

There is a workaround for this one.

Plot a movement waypoint that is outside the setup zone. Now any subsequent orders can be placed in the zone.

Lastly, drag the first one back into the zone and put it where you want it.

Voila ! :)

I'm also onboard for the "Throw Grenades" command.

Pet non-gameplay wish is a Floor#/Passenger/Buttoned indicator on the GUI.

Some good suggestions by poesel71. I also agree with more textures sets.

But a big +1 and full agreement with Wodin. Right now, I think that infantry animations should become the top non-gameplay priority.

Yes, it's eye candy, but it would also add a great deal to the immersion factor. Our CM pixeltruppen look quite good stock, and with mods, look great. However, the lack of fluidity and variation in their animations takes a step or two into the uncanny valley.

I think about this every time I play. I'd really love to see infantry animation improvement become a top priority.

Yea, a grenade order would be great. I recently got very angry with a scenario where a 6 Russians were dug in on the top of a little plateau. My men were maybe 5-10 meters away at most and tossing a bundle of grenades would ahve cleared them out. Instead it became a game of trying to suppress them by firing at the lip of the hill and running enough bodies up to ensure someone would shoot them.

- colored changes in elevation. Lower the ground the darker the overlay, the higher the ground the brighter the overlay.

I think it was Bil that described a method for doing this. If you area target right to the edge of their line of fire or sumfink. Haven't yet figured it out. Be easier if we had a grenade option like we have a smoke option.... Could even change "pop smoke" to a grenade action with option for standard or smoke (and Demo charge!)

although red birds are a nice touch, I dont think there are any in europe or any part of russia, try another species for your bird watching addition

Ok, that took me a moment to google.

Now I've learnt something about ornithology and no, my request was not about the cardinalidae. :)

i's like to see an overhaul of the TCP hook up to something a bit more user friendly.hasnt changed since CMBO and is quite frankly still annoyingly difficult to use.

many of my friends whom are just casual gamers cant figure out how to host,even with some guidance they eventually call *too hard lets play something else*

1. Move the red button to the left hand side of the UI. This is the BIG one.....

2. Make the Typeface "Command Phase: Give commands to our units" much more intrusive.

3. Have a new position for soldiers hiding under fire/pinned - prone with head down. Keep the foetal position for the broken.

4. Eye candy - Tanks and other vehicles leave tracks in the terrain!

David

4. Eye candy - Tanks and other vehicles leave tracks in the terrain!

I know; it would be nice in a way. But as has already been explained, as it could be presently done, it would give away too much info to an opposing player. He could see the tracks as they are made, thus giving away the position of unspotted vehicles. If a cure could be coded to prevent a player from seeing tracks that he does not physically have eyes on, then yes, go ahead with this. Especially if the cure also included not viewing fences and walls and similar items being knocked down. Those are also giveaways, though not as serious as tracks would be.

Michael