What is your favorite combat mission?

All the comments about Shock Force made me want to try it out again. I have to say it is a lot of fun to be had single player. The US Marine module is pretty tough IMO as you don't have a lot of M1 Tanks.

Javelins are a blast. Gotta be careful with the Strikers. I already lost on that got hit my a couple of RPGs and another one got its 105mm gun disabled.

Seems like with the US Army you want to keep the lighter stuff back and let the M1's go forward and blast everything in sight and then use the other stuff to open up on what gets spotted. It will get interesting when I have to clear out urban areas as that could get nasty.

The Marines, British and Euros have a different TOE so that makes it interesting. I know the REDFOR will eventually get some MANPADs that could prove troublesome.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMSF for me i think, i simply get the biggest kick out of conducting aggressive mechanised infantry assaults, battles sizes in CMSF are more real time friendly as well. Plus all the different TOEs offer so much variety. Besides watching a Javelin launch is the most satisfying thing ever.

Being an active duty infantryman, it is also interesting for me to see the strengths and weaknesses of different unit structures.

This is not scientific, I mean I haven't done a count or anything, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how many people prefer CM:SF over other iterations of CM. I remember when I bought it how buggy it was, and how disappointed I was as I'd been looking forward to it for so long, but as usual BFC came through and fixed pretty much all of the bugs eventually, even improving performance and retrofitting into the game the famous "blue bar" (which for a long time we'd been told couldn't be done for some technical reason). I own all of the new wave of CM games apart from CM:A, but CM:SF is still the one I think I enjoyed the most once the bugs were ironed out. I think WWII is becoming more and more a "distant memory" of a war as it has been overshadowed by more recent conflicts in the middle-east, and with the current ISIS situation in Iraq this trend would seem set to continue.

Since my kids hijacked the family computer and I have less and less access to it, I was overjoyed to find that my macbook could play CM:RT, my most recent CM purchase. Whilst I am enjoying CM:RT (most of the time - see "Annoyed" thread), it is CM:BS I am most looking forward to and which I hope I can play on my macbook as well as CM:RT.

thought the general opinion was.. awesome. I think it was highly recommended if going for a few user made campaigns like GeorgeMC's forging steel

Awesome is an understatement. I loaded it and playing mission 2 of Task Force Thunder. The greener terrain really changes the game and of course you're fighting the Ruskies. Too bad there are no T-80s or the latest Russian stuff though.

Coming from CM2 its a big change in SF. You pay quickly for any error in judgement. Everyone is packing assault rifles.

On one hand you want to keep your troops in the Strykers or Bradleys as they are immune to bullets, but if you're not careful a RPG or something else can ruin your day. I lost more Strykers that got hit. The placement of the enemy in scenarios is well thought out as they will ambush you and you need to be very careful.

Shock Force for me too. Really looking forward to CM:BS as well. More of a 'Rainbow Six' feel to it...one shot, one kill...and missles are just a lot more cool ;) I assume it won't be the buggy mess that CMSF was when it released, and the Russians in a Europe setting is what everybody really wants...the rag-tag desert thing gets old.

Two things I really liked about Shock Force:

One was that it was a fictional setting which meant that it allowed designers to craft plausible missions without being constrained by history. Designing for WW2 NWE has required a considerable amount of research before getting to work with the editor. Not to mention that Google Earth shows us the state of the world in the last few years and so making maps with GE is much easier. This is the same for Black Sea.

The second was that it was not just about killing the other side and capturing/holding VP locations without regard for your own casualties. You could really make life difficult for the US/NATO player by imposing Preserve Terrain victory conditions on him as well as punishing him hard for taking casualties during a mission. With good VP objectives in place, suddenly the Syrian, and especially the UNCONs, became a serious force to be reckoned with.

I guess Black Sea will eventually become my favourite title.

I assume it won't be the buggy mess that CMSF was when it released

That was a one off and I don't expect that ever to happen again. We can speculate that BFC were forced to released the game before they thought it was ready due to contractual relations with another game company. Steve posted once that v1.05 was the version he'd have liked to release the game in. That was about 3-4 months after the release. Since then, BFC have been releasing games when they are ready and every other CMx2 title has been pretty solid at launch.

And why?

Would you say that Red Thunder is a great addition? Or are you slightly disappointed?

Honestly, they are all basically the same. The difference between them from an entertainment factor is more correlated to the actual scenario design and those things they call campaigns.

CMx1 days I'd have to say CMAK. As I said before on the boards the chance to fight with a variety of countries OOB's across the Mediterranean was simply perfect.

CMx2 they're all unique in their own way but perhaps CMFI pips it at the post for the same reason as above. Especially if army packs eventuate down the line to incorporate other nations. Love the theater. Italy, the hard slug in horrible terrain and the variety of forces that took part makes it really unique. Hope one day we see minor nations on the east front included as well.

I think it all depends on what sort of era or terrain one fancies. I loved the desert battles in CMAK (and CMSF for that matter). Other times, I enjoyed the massive unit variety of a CMBB East Front battle for a change of pace.

(I still have CMA campaigns that I was enjoying, but no time to complete...)

Shock Force was a complete disaster when first released. Now its a very good sim. There are alot of mods for it.

I just saw something called Euroscape that replaces the Syrians with the Russians. Has anyone tried it?

There is also an Africa and Panama mod.

Can you link to Euroscape please?

Hi,

RT gets my vote.

I still think CMBB was the “greatest...” but that is relative to its time. For those of us interested in high quality, tactical wargames it was an astonishing leap forward.

But times move on. The graphics and 1 : 1 modelling and therefore animation in CMRT makes it a way superior game. But this in fourteen years later.. ;).

Lucky to have CM at all..

All the best,

Kip.

PS. The upgrading system is also a great plus...

Considering I had no interest in the kind of conflict it portrayed and have always preferred my WW2 esp eats front games I have to say Shock Force with it's modules is my favourite CMx2 game so far. The shear destructive power of some of the weapons and he amount of shiney toys is superb. So I really can't wait for the next modern game.

Shock Force was a complete disaster when first released. Now its a very good sim. There are alot of mods for it.

That is one of the reasons for why i usually wait for the first couple of patches before buying a newly released game. Buying initial release versions just got me frustrated too often, especially when a game has great potential but the sheer sum of little problems kills all the fun. It' s been similar with Rome Total War 2 and Hearts of Iron 3, after the first couple of patches they are now pretty good.

That is one of the reasons for why i usually wait for the first couple of patches before buying a newly released game. Buying initial release versions just got me frustrated too often, especially when a game has great potential but the sheer sum of little problems kills all the fun. It' s been similar with Rome Total War 2 and Hearts of Iron 3, after the first couple of patches they are now pretty good.

Shock Force got fixed.

HOI3 dunno. I haven't played it and from what I've seen the AI is average to below average at best. I kinda do agree with the statement that the engine is not really suited for WW2.

Rome Total War 2...hahaha. I removed it. 14 patches and sieges still broken. What a joke. The naval part is nothing to write home about either. Politics is borked -although I can live without that.

The sieges is what really ticks me off. Especially given how hyped the game was. There is also no excuse for the game review industry either. They lost all credibility with their scoring and reviews. They panned BF and Shock Force when it first came out and were more than willing to point out the bugs and shortfalls in Shock Force, but RYW2 comes out in its terrible shape and I see 80 ratings?

WTF?

When sieges get fixed and the C4 like torches get fixed or omitted I may try out RTW2, but I have no desire to do so at this point. Too bad I can't use it to fertilize the plants in my garden.

IMO sieges work as good as in Rome 1. I recently finished my first 500+ turn conquer-the-world-campaign as Rome and i havent experienced any problems with sieges so far (although i havent been on the receiving end too often, so possibly the AI has problems with attacking settlements that i havent encountered yet). Naval battles are as good as in the previous parts, just a bit more chaotic (wich is naturally, given the rarety of ranged weapons and the necessity of melee combat), but once one got used to it, command and control isnt a problem. Internal politics could be more detailed, but they are far from beeing useless as many often claim. Basically the internal politics in Rome 2 require you to spend money on them in order to delay the occurance of the civil war event and they allow you to buff some of your characters (in exchange for money). They only thing i miss in Rome 2 that was in Rome 1 is the family tree screen.

Hi Squallion,

in the moment I red Thunder and I like to do it.

First the demo and now the exercise campagne.

What is pleasantly striking me is the ease of use of the menus.

The variety of ways and the various technologies.

What is also striking is the catchy game description.

A game of the time anyway on my game plan is.

A very nice game.

Regards

Michael