How did you hear about Combat Mission?

I can't even remember...one of those internet paths you take down a rabbit hole.

I found it in 2011. Before that I was stuck in John Tillers East Front, which left a lot to be desired as far as AI and interface. I literally get motion sickness when playing most FPS, the quick screen motions make me dizzy, long after playing; so that never did much for me.

CM has everything I want; challenging, fun, multiple game formats. Just started pbem and it is adding yet another dimension.

PC Gamer or Computer Gaming World? One of them ran the preview article. I watched. I waited. I bought. :)

PC Gamer stunk. No, literally, it smelled bad. I don't know if it was the ink or the paper but I did not like the smell of it. Computer Gaming World had that nice newsprint smell. Loved it.

I was one of Wild Bill Wilders Raiders (SPWaW). In Nov 1999 the Colonel told me about a new 3D wargame in development and suggested I check out the CM forum. So I waited for the CMBO Beta Demo. Loaded it and said 3 guys with swivel heads? and deleted it. 24 hours later I tried it again.... like everybody else... the rest is history.

PC Gamer stunk. No, literally, it smelled bad. I don't know if it was the ink or the paper but I did not like the smell of it. Computer Gaming World had that nice newsprint smell. Loved it.

Now there's a new twist. Don't think I've heard that one before. The only reading material that I have encountered that I considered actually rank was moldy, but others have had a pungent quality. I never considered it offensive, but I took note of it. In addition to the likely candidates of paper and/or ink, sometimes with glossy magazines printers will apply a kind of varnish as a last coat to keep the ink from smearing, but that is rare and usually only applied to high end periodicals or catalogues. A lot of times I notice a distinctly "chemical" aroma coming off a freshly printed magazine that fades over time. I don't know in what stage of the production process this comes in or what the chemicals are.

Michael

Now there's a new twist. Don't think I've heard that one before. The only reading material that I have encountered that I considered actually rank was moldy, but others have had a pungent quality. I never considered it offensive, but I took note of it. In addition to the likely candidates of paper and/or ink, sometimes with glossy magazines printers will apply a kind of varnish as a last coat to keep the ink from smearing, but that is rare and usually only applied to high end periodicals or catalogues. A lot of times I notice a distinctly "chemical" aroma coming off a freshly printed magazine that fades over time. I don't know in what stage of the production process this comes in or what the chemicals are.

Michael

PC Gamer had, IIRC, a noticeably higher "production value" than Computer Gaming World, but that did nothing to offset the pungent aroma. I literally could barely stand to read PC Gamer because of the offensive odor. If memory serves, I even managed to write a letter to the editor about it.

Computer Gaming World, on the other hand, had the soothing ink & newsprint smell that I love, like walking into a book store.

I'd known about the CM games for a long time but only very recently took the plunge. I have to admit, Battlefront's DRM scheme scared me away for years. And also have to admit, my fears were greatly exaggerated -- I've had no DRM problems at all, and BF's DRM policy is not nearly as draconian as I thought it was.

But I really come to CM by way of the Graviteam Tactics (formerly Achtung Panzer) series. Gravteam Tactics Op. Star is a game every CMx2 player should have in their library. There's no reason to have to choose one franchise over the other -- both have great strengths and some weaknesses.

But Op. Star has grown rather stale to me, and since it's anyone's guess when the next installment, "Mius Front," may be coming out, I thought I should overcome my DRM bias and give CM a shot.

And now I have been sucked down the CM rabbit hole big time. I can't stop playing, and am constantly switching between BN, FI, and Red Thunder, because each is so unique. Fortress Italy kind of feels like the red-headed stepchild of the series, but in many ways it's my favorite. I just really dig the Italian/Sicilian theater, the landscape, the operations.

Around 1999 George Bradford ("AFV News" journal) dropped me a line out of the blue asking "How would you like to be on the Beta team for a new armor-heavy computer game?" My response "Uhhhh... sure!" Before that I hadn't so much as glanced in the direction of a wargame, though I was deep-deep-deep into vehicles. Everyone else looked at CM and saw 3-D SP, I looked at it and saw live-action Tamiya model tanks.:o:p

Picked up on Combat Mission Beyond Overlord after seeing it in PC Gamer, as several others apparently did.

Bought Battle for Normandy when it came out, but didn't get much of a chance to play. Didn't hear about Red Thunder being released until I stumbled upon it after googling for Star Wars : Battlefront.

I was googling about ww2 armor stuff and stumbled upon the forum. Found some golden discussions on the forum (Fionn Kelly!) and got hooked. Learned a lot those days and got excited for the game, at the time the demo came up I was one of the refreshing monkeys and played the games to death.

I dont play it as much nowadays, but still buy every new version faithfully as a 'support' to Steve, Matt and the community.

Ah the good old days. Angry smiles and Mad, great threads about reference books, ammo discussions, hamsters.... Damn I am getting nostalgic now :-p

I really enjoy war games, in particular WW2 games. I made lots of WW2 models when I was a kid and played many miniature games with tanks, infantry and a detailed battle map with trees, grass, rocks and hills. With that said ever since PC war games showed up I have always been on the lookout for a great playing and great looking WW2 game. Started with the Close Combat series, Commando's, Blitzkrieg, Soldiers, Company of Hero's but I always felt that realism was lacking in these games. I really hated when my soldiers would move out right in the middle of enemy fire and do nothing to avoid being shot. I was irritating beyond belief. I guess I found Battlefront from reading many many reviews/forum discussions of PC war games online (armchair general). I do remember trying the CM:BN 1.0 demo but couldn't get into it due to the really slow poorly optimized game engine. I like a fairly fast moving camera and the 1.0 version just didn't work for me. It wasn't my system because I always upgraded the CPU/graphics card due to my interest in 3D animation. So I just took a pass. I guess with the recent 70 year anniversary of the Normandy Invasion I just happen to go back to Battlefront to see if they were having a sale. I saw that not only have they come out with a new game CM:RT but also 2.0 versions of their previous games. Well I did some looking on you tube to see what the 2.0 game looked like since they didn't have a demo and it looked really nice, very good camera response and nice looking textures so I bought the big bundle.

For me all started with CMAK in 2002. I bought it while in french Guyana and played it thoroughly with a high school friend of mine who was in the french Navy and by coincidence also stationed in Guyana. Then we bought CMBB to play around in the snow (it's refreshing when you live in Amazonia ;-)

I've been hooked ever since and I've bought everything BF has released since, even CMSF even (though modern combat isn't my cup of tea). The only still missing on my shelf is CMRT... but I'll get it someday...

AH had earlier contracted with Atomic Games to do a computerized version of Squad Leader, but Close Combat turned out to be not exactly that, so AH and AG parted company and BTS got the contract.

The Atomic project was Beyond Squad Leader. That title I think gives you the fundamental difference in the goals of the two companies. AH and many fans wanted nothing more than a direct port of SL/ASL to the computer. Heck, the alpha versions of CM still had hexes and there were heated arguments on the BTS forums between those who wanted hexes and counters and those who wanted to take advantage of what the computer could do for the game. I wish I still had those screenshots from the alpha days.

OMG. The wayback machine has some of the original forums captured. Take a look at this post:

CASL-A dissenting view

the Alpha AAR that was being played between (I think) Fionn and someone (apologies, but it was a long time ago, and I'm not getting any younger)...

It was Moon.