RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

Seems I one-upped my previous flamethrower screen shot.  In my battles, the operator doesn't usually see his target, just firing on suspected locations, but in this case, he did.  A truly terrifying weapon.

Incensed at the loss of Oberleutnant Rausch and the wounding of his team partner and comrade, Schütze Teichert exacted a terrible revenge.

t6cq3p.jpg

Heinrich505

Seems I one-upped my previous flamethrower screen shot.  In my battles, the operator doesn't usually see his target, just firing on suspected locations, but in this case, he did.  A truly terrifying weapon.

Nice screen shot.  I have to practice with flamethrowers more.  I tried to use one in two or three different PBEM games but they were KIA before they were close enough to fire the fire. :)   We may have to get the administrator to change your screen name to Pyro505 or Fahrenheit 451 or Torch or ..........  :D.  

Sorry guys, but I couldn't resist.  MOS and sburke might have something there....

1412pz8.jpg

They do make very dramatic screenshots.  The guy with his hands up survived, amazingly enough.

Heinrich505

Another nice screenshot.  The comment in the screenshot that the flamethrower operator almost barbequed his NCO leads to an interesting question.  What is the effect when a friendly flamethrower hits friendly troops? 

Friendly tank fire, bullets (.50 caliber and larger), rifle grenades and bazookas will kill and suppress your own men.  Friendly fire smaller than .50 caliber will suppress your own men, but not kill them.

So what if a friendly flamethrower hits your own troops?  Just suppressed or KIA?  Is there a difference in effect between a man portable flamethrower and a vehicle flamethrower that hits friendly troops?    

I guess it is time for some testing.  Unless our resident flamethrower expert Torch, I mean Heinrich505, already knows …………… 

MOS,

I am only guessing on this.  There were no casualty markings on the Unteroffizier, not even a yellow wound.  As close as the flame was, you'd think he would suffer some sort of injury.

On the other side, there was a Russian soldier who had thrown his hands up to surrender, moments before the flame launched into his half-squad.  Graphically he was untouched by the flame, but the rest of his squad was hit.  The rest of the squad all went down with red crosses.  The surrendering soldier was untouched - quite amazingly - and lived to leave the battle under the white flag.  I can't imagine how he escaped being cooked too, but the game recognized that he was surrendering and he was not injured.

I think things are abstracted just a bit, especially with the posted shot, reflecting that the squad leader would have had the really good sense to move to the side, or the flame man would have been shoved up to the front of the gaggle of troops so he could get an unobstructed shot at the enemy without hitting his fellow troops.

As for a building with friendly and enemy troops in it getting flamed at the same time, I haven't encountered that yet. 

Interesting question.  

Heinrich505

It's worth noting that grenades and rifle grenades won't cause friendly casualties to the throwing/firing team (except when the thrower gets made a casualty before he's thrown it), for (relative) ease of TacAI programming. Having to have all the pTruppen in a closely assaulting team take account of various grenade chucks would be a bear of a problem to code around. Perhaps the flame throwers are similarly forgiving of errors of placement in their own team?

I don't think that is the case.  I have seen guys get hit as they were in the process of throwing a grenade and having the grenade fall at their feet and cause additional casualties to his own team.

That's what I meant by "...except when the thrower gets made a casualty before he's thrown it..." I don't think I've ever had a casualty from a grenade thrown by the same team, even in room-to-room combat.

MOS,

I am only guessing on this.  There were no casualty markings on the Unteroffizier, not even a yellow wound.  As close as the flame was, you'd think he would suffer some sort of injury.

Interesting question.

Thanks Heinrich.  I will play around with this some and try not to get burned.  :P  I will post the results. 

That's what I meant by "...except when the thrower gets made a casualty before he's thrown it..." I don't think I've ever had a casualty from a grenade thrown by the same team, even in room-to-room combat.

Oops sorry I missed that.  I admit I have not seen friendly casualties from thrown grenades either.  It does seem like a strange thing to code though.  It could be modelling that fact that friendlies are told when a grenade is thrown and therefore keep their heads down for a moment.

Oops sorry I missed that.  I admit I have not seen friendly casualties from thrown grenades either.  It does seem like a strange thing to code though.  It could be modelling that fact that friendlies are told when a grenade is thrown and therefore keep their heads down for a moment.

Yes, exactly, and that the TacAI individual soldiers don't necessarily refrain from throwing when their own immediate friendlies are "danger close". It's almost certainly a lot easier to code an immunity in than to have the TacAI account for friendly positions when chuckin' 'splodey stuff.

Thanks Heinrich.  I will play around with this some and try not to get burned.  :P  I will post the results. 

The results surprised me.  The flamethrower on its own did not have any effect on friendly troops.  Not even suppression.  The experiment is posted at the below link.   

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119563-flamethrowers-and-friendly-troops/