RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Earl Grey,

I've always had a great interest in GD.  The idea of pulling recruits from all over the country for an elite Wehrmacht unit was a novel approach at the time, especially since the basis for recruiting was to keep the local guys all together in a unit so they had common upbringing and geography.

I've quite a few volumes on their battles, including the very excellent God,Honor,Fatherland, A Photo History of Panzergrenadier Division "Grossdeutschland" on the Eastern Front 1942-1944, by Thomas McGuill & Remy Spezzano. 

I'm hoping you will make the mod available to others as well.

That cuff title has to be a bear to fix.  Your posted photo looked very promising.

Heinrich505

How true. Taking pictures of the action is great but sometimes I really enjoy just watching the behind the scenes stuff too.

I've always liked this myself as well.  I particularly like watching the troops move up to their jump off positions if I'm available to do that in a particular scenario.  Gives me perspective in terms of how big my force really is and how it might have looked in the real world war.  Let me explain; I like many here I'm sure read a lot of military history books.  In those books you might come across a description of a "battalion" moving up into positions and assaulting the ENY.  Well, I had always wondered back then how big really is a battalion of troops?  In some very large scenarios where one gets to play with a battalion of troops, this game can show you just how big that actually is.  And IMHO there is nothing more powerful than a visual example.  You know the old saying...a picture is worth a thousand words.

This game and its precursor (CMx1) really hammered home the saying above.  My first experience of this was with the CMBB demo.  In that demo, there was a huge scenario of one of the Kursk tank battles.  You had a tank battalion to play with in that demo scenario.  I remember in the set-up phase just moving my view all over the place, viewing the German armored battle group from various positions and being in absolute awe.  So that's what a tank battalion looks like I thought.  Wow!  That is powerful and fearful looking like I read in the books.  This game shines with that kind of experience.  So many more examples I could go into and of course when the lead starts flying...what a game!

^^^ What Ian and Frankster said. I love to watch the troops moving up through the terrain...especially through wheat and taller crops and grasses, through hedgerows, over fences, etc.  I have set up "scenarios" with just one side so that I can lock on a unit and watch it like a tracking camera in a movie without getting shot at and having to yell "Cut!" all the time.  Beautiful game, just beautiful.