Yippeeeeeeeee

Sigh. SMGs are considered INFERIOR weapons to big bullet rifles. They don't have the range, accuracy or penetration power. They fire a short pistol cartridge. Asking German soldiers to throw down their Mausers for MP40s is like asking U.S. soldiers to throw down their M1 Garands for M1 Carbines.

Then why did every WW2 army issue them? Were there not enough Garands and K98s to go around? Heck, the Soviets equipped whole squads with them. I completely disagree with that blanket statement. Their relative utility is situational, and in my experience SMGs are much more dangerous in the game under 100 meters than any rifle save for the MP44. Having one or two SMGs in the squad gives it tactical flexibility.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was correct. It's an ATI driver issue. Sorta :D Which is why we haven't seen it much (I missed those earlier threads) and our testers weren't able to replicate it when the issue was brought up.

This ATI mouse option was left in CM for a long time because it took a long time for ATI to fix the problem. IIRC it was almost a year after we got in the hack to get around their bugs (4 of them to be exact). Seems that now this feature should be removed. I've made a note of that.

Back to Ian's surprise at video drivers having something to do with mouse clicks. Computers inherently only know 2D. 3D cards, and their drivers, support APIs (OpenGL and DirectX being the two big ones) which interface between the game, video card, and the OS (which interfaces with the hardware). In the case of ATI, they screwed up implementation of some specific OpenGL API calls that CM absolutely must have in order to function correctly. The result was the ATI driver passing bad coordinate information back to CM. Since CM must rely upon this information to know where the user is clicking, the game was incorrectly registering clicks. The reason it took ATI so long to fix it is very few game developers use these particular API calls because they are either using DirectX or not using the 2D/3D hybrid mode that CM requires. If Quake or Battlefield had this problem it would have been fixed the next day.

Here's my standard advice when someone experiences a problem with ANY piece of software. This is good advice and I use it myself in my daily activities. The primary point is to see if others are having the same problem before assuming there's a widespread problem. If the feature is very common and the number of people experiencing problems is very low... then it's pretty clear that it is either a "user error" or something specific to other hardware and/or software. With this information you then try to narrow down the problem even further. If you can't find a solution then you go to tech support and see if they can help.

What you don't do is assume that the developer is aware of this problem, it's a problem that affects everybody, and yet the developer doesn't care to fix it. Especially when the developer has a VERY long and VERY solid history of being extremely attentive to customer problems. Even ones that affect only a percentage of customers. Like the massive investment in time and energy we went through to work around the ATI bugs. It wasn't our fault ATI messed up, but we took responsibility and did our best to fix it as quickly as we could.

Which is why I don't accept childish behavior as an acceptable way to handle things.

That said, I'm glad that Togi's user specific problem is fixed. I can only hope that his attitude problem can also be fixed just as easily.

Steve

Steve

I don't think that my behaviour is childish, I had a problem, I can't find a detailed information in your manual. In game menu, it's addressed as "it's preferable to use some ATI cards for increasing clicking performance". With this definition , "on" has to be selected for me.

I didn't know which one is better "on" or "off"

Please also take care with your attitude problem against a customer, beyond over that,against a human , by repeating every reply, by scorning

Ok I understand you replied me , you have lost your uber precious time

But your company learned that it's better to delete above "ATI clicking option" for preventing their user selecting as "on" while that is not needed

please try to learn to listen your customer voices with a kind way before critisizing their behaviour as childish,

I have been investing or buying your computer games - CM series- since CMBO time. I'm opening our national gamer forums some topics in order to be familirized my country people - I think there is no or limited people playing from Turkiye- to CM series.

If I had acted with a bad way or swear something , I can understand.

Thanks to all forum mates replying me and for solving my problem

So, are you on parole or did you have to serve all your time?

:D

Michael

Parole...apparently murdering nuns doesn't get you the time it used to...though, it is HABIT forming!

OHHHH!

Mord; formerly Inmate 765889003

Steve

I don't think that my behaviour is childish, I had a problem, I can't find a detailed information in your manual. In game menu, it's addressed as "it's preferable to use some ATI cards for increasing clicking performance". With this definition , "on" has to be selected for me.

Please also take care with your attitude problem against a customer, beyond over that,against a human , by repeating every reply, by scorning

But your company learned that it's better to delete above "ATI clicking option" for preventing their user selecting as "on" while that is not needed

please try to learn to listen your customer voices with a kind way before critisizing their behaviour as childish,

I have been investing or buying your computer games - CM series- since CMBO time. I'm opening our national gamer forums some topics in order to be familirized my country people - I think there is no or limited people playing from Turkiye- to CM series.

Well you did claim that the bridge thing was a very common problem and when people replied that they didnt have the problem, you acted as if they were lying.

And then you told Michael Emrys that "I'm sure that I'm better than you all the way in this game" which is hardly a mature behaviour.

You also said this to me:

So where is the fix before introducing bigger bridges my friend?

I can't pass the small bridge as it can be seen at above post attached video

:-)

You sounded snarky and offensive when saying that. (and as it turns out, the problem had been fixed a long time ago)

You then went on to tell Steve that he was diverting the topic (which he was not, but you were. This thread was not about pathing problems with bridges)

Also, saying this: "how can I pass famous Holland bridges while I can't pass even a fictive village bridge?" is a pretty combattive statement.

After that you claimed that Steve was "leaving you all alone" when in fact he was trying to help you by suggesting things you could try to fix it.

But since you cannot see the abrasiveness of your posts, im pretty sure this is not going to get through to you either.

But you ARE acting childish and stubborn.

Makes me think I should lean towards Nvida for my next card.

NVIDIA is not perfect either, in CMSF there was a problem in night battles where gun flashes/explosions would cause the entire map to flash. I never saw it since I had a ATI card...;)

All cards and drivers have issues with some games, with some many games and hardware/software combinations, it is inevitable. In addition, both NVIDIA and ATI take shortcuts, i.e. "performance enhancements" to improve FPS in certain benchmarks which reviewers favor, which can cause problems in other games.

Whenever I decide to upgrade my graphic card, I check out the tech articles on the hardware, benchmarks, see what is offered and pick up the card which gives me the best cost/benefit ratio. 3 times out of 4, I wind up with a ATI card.

Well you did claim that the bridge thing was a very common problem and when people replied that they didnt have the problem, you acted as if they were lying.

And then you told Michael Emrys that "I'm sure that I'm better than you all the way in this game" which is hardly a mature behaviour.

You also said this to me:

You sounded snarky and offensive when saying that. (and as it turns out, the problem had been fixed a long time ago)

You then went on to tell Steve that he was diverting the topic (which he was not, but you were. This thread was not about pathing problems with bridges)

Also, saying this: "how can I pass famous Holland bridges while I can't pass even a fictive village bridge?" is a pretty combattive statement.

After that you claimed that Steve was "leaving you all alone" when in fact he was trying to help you by suggesting things you could try to fix it.

But since you cannot see the abrasiveness of your posts, im pretty sure this is not going to get through to you either.

But you ARE acting childish and stubborn.

Odball,

are you an advocate?

I was not saying that was a common problem, I have tried to identify my problem ,someone said to me that he had not problem with a scorning manner by sampling some science areas to me without help. I had to show my problem via a video because I had a problem, that was the reality according to me. What Steve suggested to me is trying demo another computer :-). Yes I'm sure it will be worked but my problem will not be solved.

If I had not defined my problem in this topic, my problem would not be solved.

Because there is no any info in manual or in game.

So I'm happy about my problem has solved.

So after solution of this problem, BFC have seen that some actions has to be taken in the program about "clicking precision on / off selection for ATI cards" is not needed from now on.

Regards

The biggest problem with this thread is probably a language/culture barrier.

I do not think waclaw & togi intended to sound rude and demanding, but to us this is exactly what it sounded like. The words that were used and how they were used conveyed this.

This is why the reaction was what it was. It was not because of criticism, heck, I could criticize CM all day long because I love it. It was because this criticism was like a guest coming to your party after two bottles of vodka, pissing on the carpet, yelling that your wife is an ugly whore and then demanding free booze. ;)

Steve

togi,

It is obvious that English is not your native language. I do not know how you are translating your posts from your native language into English. However, using translation software can result in the wrong tone being translated. An extra dose of civil language and polite phrasing can overcome translation errors.

=====

Nvidia vs. ATI,

Like Sgt. Joch stated above, I've found the best approach is to compare the two when I'm in the market. What's my budget, which gives better tech for the $$, which is more future proof? After I answer those questions, I make my purchase. They both have had driver issues and they both resolve them eventually.

======

Market Garden,

Hey, _I_ am looking forward to it!

Ken out.

So after solution of this problem, BFC have seen that some actions has to be taken in the program about "clicking precision on / off selection for ATI cards" is not needed from now on.

That is not true, its in the code now and it can be of benefit to some users depending on their configuration and/or depending on future ATI drivers.

In all games, it is always a good idea to try/tweak the various card/game settings to see what works best on your system.

Odball,

are you an advocate?

I was not saying that was a common problem, I have tried to identify my problem ,someone said to me that he had not problem with a scorning manner by sampling some science areas to me without help. I had to show my problem via a video because I had a problem, that was the reality according to me. What Steve suggested to me is trying demo another computer :-). Yes I'm sure it will be worked but my problem will not be solved.

If I had not defined my problem in this topic, my problem would not be solved.

Because there is no any info in manual or in game.

So I'm happy about my problem has solved.

Regards

Well from your posts it sounded like you implied that it was a common problem. Something that many people had.

And people were trying to give you sollutions but you took it as insults.

Anyway, this is (hopefully) a language barrier thing so im just not going to continue this discussion since you will probably never understand why people thought you did something wrong.

This is one of the last places on Earth where I expected to bump into Jimi Tenor.

I guess it is to be expected in this globalized world, Finland does export a lot of good stuff. ;)

Did you know that on the bottom of vodka Finland is the swastika pattern? - otherwise a very good vodka, but compared to the Polish spirits is rather a "tonic";)

Vodka is the cure all cultural differences / Language;)

Just to show you Battlefront does like Poles here is the count of the times a Nation has been in a game.

USA: CMBO, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Germany: CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 6

Poland: CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Britain: CMBO, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Canada: CMBO, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Soviet Union: CMBB, CMAfg = 2

Italy: CMBB, CMAK, CMFI = 3

France: CMBO, CMAK = 2

New Zealand: CMAK, CMFI = 2

Australia: CMAK = 1

Finland: CMBB = 1

Romania: CMBB = 1

Hungary: CMBB = 1

South Africa: CMAK = 1

Netherlands: CMSF = 1

Syria: CMSF = 1

Afghanistan: CMAfg = 1

Just to show you Battlefront does like Poles here is the count of the times a Nation has been in a game.

USA: CMBO, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Germany: CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 6

Poland: CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Britain: CMBO, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Canada: CMBO, CMAK, CMSF, CMBN, CMFI = 5

Soviet Union: CMBB, CMAfg = 2

Italy: CMBB, CMAK, CMFI = 3

France: CMBO, CMAK = 2

New Zealand: CMAK, CMFI = 2

Australia: CMAK = 1

Finland: CMBB = 1

Romania: CMBB = 1

Hungary: CMBB = 1

South Africa: CMAK = 1

Netherlands: CMSF = 1

Syria: CMSF = 1

Afghanistan: CMAfg = 1

Sept. 39 (1 million soldiers), Narvik, France, 1940, Battle of Britain, Africa, landing in Normandy(Falaise), the liberation of the Netherlands, Italian campaign - Monte Cassino, Arnhem (in the west fought 200 000 of our soldiers), the Warsaw Uprising 44 (47000 soldiers) campaign in the east-berlin45 (180 000 men) AK (Home Army - 390 000 soldiers)

Poland is the fourth military power on the side of the Allies - it's natural that we are on all fronts in the game

ps. except that we used, British and Soviet uniforms and weapons - just add the language and poles are already in the game;)

Did you know that on the bottom of vodka Finland is the swastika pattern? - otherwise a very good vodka, but compared to the Polish spirits is rather a "tonic";)

Vodka is the cure all cultural differences / Language;)

Umm... no swastikas on any of the finnish vodkas ive had. (and i only drink finnish or rusisan vodka)

Man oh man, gotta love the tone in this thread... It is showing me that I'm turning into an old curmudgeon... I don't like the tone of a few posters on all sides in this one, but I also understand that my tastes and preferences aren't universal truths and most likely there are those who don't like my tone as well. So, I'm not complaining about it - just stating what I consider to be obvious.

I have one helpful suggestion, if you are having technical problems with the game look for a thread in the game's technical support sub-forum on the topic and if you can't find one start one rather than going off-topic in other threads which can be interpreted as being self-centered (you won't annoy anyone that way and people interested in helping you will find you more quickly - that is one bit of good news about this forum: there are many people interested in helping others).

As far as the state of the game goes, everyone here, including BF, will quickly admit it is not perfect. I am amazed that anyone, excluding betas and devs, thinks they know what is in store for us with MG since so little has been revealed. Okay, I'm not really amazed, people are like that all the effin time (and since I'm a person too I have and will fall into the category sooner or later... and it is a good thing too, one of the strengths of humanity actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic but it is not a strength when the person doesn't/can't admit when it has led them astray, it then becomes a crippling liability).

Yippeeee! (I feel like Steve Martin in the Jerk "the new phone book is here! the new phone book is here!)

Yes, sfhand (and others) have correctly pointed out that this is NOT about non-native English. If you know how to be polite, respectful, and sensible about how you ask for help in your own language it comes through just fine in a non-native language. At least to anybody familiar with non-native postings. Which I am very familiar with :)

Togi:

It would be far easier for you to not have the attitude problem that started this. Which is why I took the time to "scorn" you. Because this is absolutely not the first time your behavior has been bad. In fact, I was directed to this thread by someone else who said "Togi is at it again". Yes, you have a reputation that is not all positive.

While I refuse to let customers get away with bad behavior, I don't refuse to help them when they have a real problem. Even when they don't follow support procedures everybody else follows, hijack a thread to serve their own personal needs, and then tell me that I'm not behaving correctly by trying to stay on topic. I guess I could just not try to help, but that goes against my nature.

I do appreciate your support for CM over all these years. But I'd appreciate that support even more if it didn't cause problems like this from time to time.

Steve

Really surprised that some still don't realise the difference between a module and a full game release.

Modules don't have big new game features..as stated many many times before. Moan about it if something like flamethrowers and fire aren't in say the East front game..or the Bulge game..not a module.

Really surprised that some still don't realise the difference between a module and a full game release.

Modules don't have big new game features..as stated many many times before. Moan about it if something like flamethrowers and fire aren't in say the East front game..or the Bulge game..not a module.

And the really cool thing is once we have them in bulge or EF we will also get them in MG as CMBN will be upgraded to CM 3.0. The key to all this is patience. And before all you youngsters start going off on how long you waited, us geezers have a deadline, literally. We want to see it before we are dead. However you do have to understand including fire isn't about just having fire. It means having the fire interact with material in buildings and terrain, environmental conditions, having the TAC AI know how to respond, knowing that gamey players will deliberately drive jeeps into fields to be shot up, catch fire and then cause the field they are in to go up in flames. Yeah you know you'll do it.

BF is well aware they need to introduce fire and they will WHEN it is ready. In the meantime, keep your pants on.