What hapenned with the big new announcement?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how many commanders in history have thrown more men and effort into a bad situation just to prove that it can be won. There's something cocky and arrogant about it that is a very common trait in leadership.

Not really.

It is more to do with success and failure being so hard to distinguish during the battle itself. For every battle where a commander decides to give it another go in the face of failure there is at least one where on the verge of success the commander digs in or pulls out.

A HQ on the losing side a battle will likely get flooded with messages along the lines of: "Taking heavy casualties, please send help" Whereas the messages arriving at HQ in a battle being won tend towards the "Taking heavy casualties, please send help". Aborting a battle when things look bad means you never get anything done. A battle is per definition A Bad Situation.

"Hürtgen was a ghastly blunder that probably should never have been embarked on"

Rather reminds me of the reduction of Brest. The Allied generals had concluded that regardless of its lack of strategic value if they start something its a point of national honor for them to see it through. They were afraid of the morale and propaganda impact of a perceived 'failure'.

Rather reminds me of the reduction of Brest. The Allied generals had concluded that regardless of its lack of strategic value if they start something its a point of national honor for them to see it through. They were afraid of the morale and propaganda impact of a perceived 'failure'.

Yeah, you're on to something there. That's why I've always admired Vinegar Joe Stillwell's candor when he was run out of Burma in 1942: "I claim we took one hell of a lickin'." His superiors may not have liked that, but I think it was exactly what the situation and the public required.

Michael

Combat Mission: Generic First Person Shooter!

No? Oh thank god.

Wait you know those little trailers fr the iPad versions of the game, anyone else notice a few shots from soldier view? Maybe soldier view will be implemented into the PC/Mac version. Great now I can look through the eyes of my soldiers who are behind a hedge. :)

From the conclusion of the "Gazette du Wargamer":

"we can announce the next game will not concern WWII and will not be a new module either but instead a real game Combat Mission engine evolution" (freely translated from the French by myself)

Polo

"we can announce the next game will not concern WWII and will not be a new module either but instead a real game Combat Mission engine evolution" (freely translated from the French by myself)

Polo

CMx3, but not WW2.

Polo

How do they know?

• 3 weeks later...
As the topic says, did I miss it? BFC posted at least 1 month ago that a big new announcement was coming up on CMBN that was apparently going to rock our socks. It was even confirmed that it wasn't the announcment of CM Touch yet we're still in the dark.

Any feedback?

Regards

Jim R.

Make that 2 months and counting....

Regards

KR

You should know by now...

Goals are what goals are... something to shoot for. In software development that usually means falling short of one's goals :D CMBO was more than a year late, CMBB was well over a year late, CMAK was months late, CM:SF was more than a year late, Marines was a few months late, Brit Module is also a few months late. See a pattern here? :)

Steve

CMBO was late, CMBB was late, CMAK was late, CM:SF was late, CM: Marines was late, CM: British Forces was late, CM: NATO is late, CM: Normandy is late, and everything else we ever do will likely be late. We are, if anything, consistent.

You should know by now...

It's one thing to miss the expected release date of a game itself, that is entirely understandable. It's another to announce that you are going to make an announcement, and then push back the date of the announcement indefinitely. One can only assume that they had at least a vague idea of what they were going to announce in the first place.

Just a hint or something would be nice...

I've assumed all along that it would be the official announcement of the Market Garden module, so I'm not on the edge of my seat.

A propos of the upcoming MG module, is Battlefront still hewing to the four modules template? Apparently MG will be followed by a n 'Odds and Ends' edition. I'm a big fan but it's hard to envision spending 35US for module that offers a handful of new formations and vehicles, like requisitioned French tanks in Wehrmacht paint. Surely the two modules can be bundled into a single product.

I think the way they will work it is that it will be announced that the next release is now available for pre-order. Then after they have raked in all the pre-order cash they think they are likely to receive, they simply board the plane to the Bahamas and leave the message, "So long, suckers!"

;)

Michael