What hapenned with the big new announcement?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve has stated pretty unequivocally that CM is not going back to NA. Of course, they could always change their minds, but I doubt that there is sufficient demand to compel that.

Michael

I'd be up for any WWII theater, or subsection...if CMBB taught me anything it was that I have an unquenchable curiosity for all things land warfare. I didn't think I'd care a drop for CMBB but after it came out it was a new rush. I'd go back to Africa, up to Italy, down to the Pacific and back to Russia if they'd take me there.

Mord.

I'm thinking early war. It would be roughly similar to CMSF -> CMA. Just tweak time backwards a bit, take out some of the newer vehicles, put in some of the older ones, and the infantry just need new skins/helmets and a few weapon models. Best of all, those old vehicles would still be right at home in any future titles, such as the rumored "Odds and Sods" module for CMBN, early part of Ostfront, and then of course very late war in German desperation scenarios.

So to whomever at BF,

Where are you guys located, as in time zone? Or town, just curious? (even though i dont blame you for not answering that one cuz you may not want a mob on your hands demanding an announcement:p ) Im not trying to pry news info out of you, im just trying to get an idea on what time of day you guys usually release news info? Do you have a specific time of day for press releases? Do you announce news after staff meetings or office meetings? or do you just annouce news whenever it becomes ready? I live in Idaho so it seems that most of your news post on your website usually are mid to late afternoon here. So i was just kinda hoping for a general time frame of your day at work, and really im kind of interested on what/how your company/studio/office/building runs behind closed doors. Could we get a behind the scences/games sneak peak of your guys day at work. Thought that might be fun for some of us to see.

Guys, you just know Steve, Phil, and Moon are just pissing their pants laughing at all of our wild-ass speculation!

No, it's patronize the strip club Thursday. They are not even thinking of you guys let alone laughing at your speculative hyperbole.

The beta guys are though. :D

Do you announce news after staff meetings or office meetings? or do you just annouce news whenever it becomes ready? I live in Idaho so it seems that most of your news post on your website usually are mid to late afternoon here. So i was just kinda hoping for a general time frame of your day at work, and really im kind of interested on what/how your company/studio/office/building runs behind closed doors.

I'm probably breaking NDA here, but what the hell.

We all gather for a team meeting 9.30 every Friday morning. Steve pretty much takes charge, makes sure we all have a coffee or Dr Peppers and off we go.

Item 1 is always to discuss the current "rant" thread on the forum, and whether staying silent or dropping a bone is the best way to stir it up further.

Item 2 is a vote on whether to release East Front modules 1 to 4 tomorrow or not. (Steve has the casting vote, and laughs himself silly every time he say, " no lets wait another week")

Item 3 is a review of Beta tester pay scales and working conditions

Break for doughnuts

Item 4 is normally when all press releases and announcements are drafted and agreed, but Steve is playing Farmville by this stage and so it takes awhile . The draft press release then goes to the typing pool before getting binned.

At this stage everyone relocates to the production facility and takes it in turns to shake Charles's jar and remind Phil that he is only "First Second Programmer"

We then all agree to work harder, and then pack up for the rest of the day.

So as you can see it's a pretty slick operation and it will be ready when its done

:)

P

I'm probably breaking NDA here, but what the hell.

We all gather for a team meeting 9.30 every Friday morning. Steve pretty much takes charge, makes sure we all have a coffee or Dr Peppers and off we go.

Item 1 is always to discuss the current "rant" thread on the forum, and whether staying silent or dropping a bone is the best way to stir it up further.

Item 2 is a vote on whether to release East Front modules 1 to 4 tomorrow or not. (Steve has the casting vote, and laughs himself silly every time he say, " no lets wait another week")

Item 3 is a review of Beta tester pay scales and working conditions

Break for doughnuts

Item 4 is normally when all press releases and announcements are drafted and agreed, but Steve is playing Farmville by this stage and so it takes awhile . The draft press release then goes to the typing pool before getting binned.

At this stage everyone relocates to the production facility and takes it in turns to shake Charles's jar and remind Phil that he is only "First Second Programmer"

We then all agree to work harder, and then pack up for the rest of the day.

So as you can see it's a pretty slick operation and it will be ready when its done

:)

P

Y'know, I believe every word of that! But you omitted the part where you pass around the latest issue of Playboy, commenting on the Playmate of the Month.

Michael

... I live in Idaho...

Big state, but where 'bouts? I spent 6 years between Camas County and Blaine County. After my knee went out and I couldn't ski anymore, I just played CM until the weather was warm enough to fish... ;)

' Course, there's that stupid thing called work that got in the way of both :mad:

Yes. Good point. Only difference is that it didn't take the US forces quite as long to start wising up.

hmmm - considering the British forces were so inept, possibly the US forces might have absorbed some of the lessons the Brits had learned before they caming charging to the rescue (lets face it the Brits were so crap it's amazing they hung on long enough for the US to save them).

Even if the lesson to take on board was how NOT to do it, surely following all those high level tactical blunders there would have been an impressive pick list on what to avoid?

After all it was the same enemy the Brits had been blundering around with for the last couple of years - or here's a thought, perhaps after the first few cock ups the US started listening to their (apparently) uber crap allies, who despite being so woeful, had managed to keep an army in the field against Rommel and his mates.

Just a thought.

Relax, TrailApe, let's not turn this into a nationalistic food fight. I haven't said, nor do I intend to, anything that hasn't been said by British and Commonwealth historians. Nor do I deny that the Americans—at least some of them—suffered from a bad case of anglophobia as well as Not Invented Here. Some of them were godawful cocky and thinking that they had all the answers. But even Rommel said of the US forces that no army began so green or learned so fast. Not all the US commanders got it right, but a lot of them did. And the ones that didn't usually found themselves without a combat command. That may have been a luxury the British could not afford, I don't know. But it seems that a lot of pretty marginal British officers with powerful patrons continued to rise through the ranks while the better ones' careers often stagnated.

Michael

Big state, but where 'bouts? I spent 6 years between Camas County and Blaine County. After my knee went out and I couldn't ski anymore, I just played CM until the weather was warm enough to fish... ;)

' Course, there's that stupid thing called work that got in the way of both :mad:

Im from Custer County born and raised thier, both Custer & Blaine Counties have some beatuiful wilderness, and it was all in my back yard so to speak. Now i live in the southern part of the state, working as a welder.

Y'know, I believe every word of that! But you omitted the part where you pass around the latest issue of Playboy, commenting on the Playmate of the Month.

BFC trivia: A CMSF render of RPGs was used as an illustration in a Greek issue of Playboy (I made sure Steve got one magazin to prove it!)

Best regards,

Thomm

With ref to comments by TrailApe & Michael Emrys -

It has to be said the class-system in the UK has 'always' encouraged the placement of 'Upper-Class Twits' in positions of command. The net result is a whole lot of avoidable errors both on & off the battle-field.

The best understanding I have gained of US Army Command activity in WW2 was the result of reading The Battle of Hurtgen Forest by Charles Whiting. That gave me some clear insight into what kind 'tactical thinking' could occur.

...just my dimes' worth. :)

With ref to comments by TrailApe & Michael Emrys -

It has to be said the class-system in the UK has 'always' encouraged the placement of 'Upper-Class Twits' in positions of command. The net result is a whole lot of avoidable errors both on & off the battle-field.

The best understanding I have gained of US Army Command activity in WW2 was the result of reading The Battle of Hurtgen Forest by Charles Whiting. That gave me some clear insight into what kind 'tactical thinking' could occur.

...just my dimes' worth. :)

Yeah I can't say the British had any lock on bad decisions. MG at least had a plan and goal no matter what you think of it's chances of success. Huertgen was simply no one stopping to say, does this actually make one whit of sense as we bled several divisions white in there creating the only conditions where Wacht am Rhein had even a snowball's chance in hell of any success. A Bloody Ground by Edward Miller is another good read.

No doubt about it, Hürtgen was a ghastly blunder that probably should never have been embarked on and once embarked on, canceled after the first week. I lay most of the blame at Bradley's feet (WTF was he thinking?), but Hodges and some others come in for a share as well. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Michael

No doubt about it, Hürtgen was a ghastly blunder that probably should never have been embarked on and once embarked on, canceled after the first week. I lay most of the blame at Bradley's feet (WTF was he thinking?), but Hodges and some others come in for a share as well. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Michael

Made for bad strategy but great for reading and day dreaming. It's one of my favorite battles of WWII.

Mord.

...a bit more thread hi-jacking!:P

As something of a footnote - I found this particularly telling -

Twenty years after the fighting in the

Hurtgen had ended, Time's "Man of the Year," that former

colonel of the 9th Infantry, now four-star General Westmore-

land, told Assistant Secretary of Defense John T. McNaugton

that "we are fighting in an escalating military stalemate." But

did his realistic assessment of the combat situation in Vietnam

extend any further than that? Did he draw the obvious conclu-

sion? Did he lay it on the line to the President? Did he threaten

to resign if something was not done about the situation?

Of course, he did not. Just like those other generals back in

1944-45, whom he as a frontline soldier had obviously cursed

more then once for being so knuckleheaded, he remained opti-

mistic. That year he told President Johnson, "In the final anal-

ysis, we are fighting a war of attrition, . . . Defeat is not a real

worry."7 All he needed was more bodies. Time and men. At the

then level of 470,000 troops in Vietnam, it would take him five

years to beat the enemy. Give him another one hundred thousand

troops and he would cut that time to three years. Add another

one hundred thousand bodies now and he could possibly guaran-

tee final victory by mid-1969.

It was the same old story as that of the Hurtgen...

(ref p265-7 of Charles Whitings' book.)

sburke & Sirocco - Thanks for the book titles I shall look out for those. ;)