Next CM:BN Titles?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't it recock automatically after the first shot? They should only be exhausted for that first shot, which of course should miss.

I was supposed to. However, apparently if not held very firmly when fired so that the recoil energy would go into re-cocking, it could fail to re-cock.

Ideally, I suppose that there should be a certain chance of re-cocking failure when the PIAT is fired, especially for less experienced users.

My favorite thing about PIATs was always their relatively small firing signature compared to zooks and shrecks. Now, with relative spotting, this should be an even greater advantage.

I know next to nothing about PIATs other than trying to use them in ASL long ago. Is this at AT weapon that can be fired from inside a building?

-----

Did a wiki search and it said that it could be fired from within buildings due to it's firing mechanism. sounds interesting.

Over on Youtube...There is a nice 10-12 part show on "The battle of Caen"....It is part of the battlefeild 2 series, sorry i could not figure out how to paste the direct link?

It is the most detailed documentary I have seen about the battle for Caen and the surrounding area.

This should wet our whistles even more in anticipation of the upcoming Commonwealth pack!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in CMAK a scenario named "! The worth of the PIAT" puts Canadian infantry in such a position that its pretty much impossible to get a decent PIAT shot at the opposing Panther. PIAT does not come off looking like a 'wonder weapon' in that particular scenario. Makes you nostalgic for the G.I. rifle grenade. :)

You sure PIATS could recock? I recall reading accounts at Arnhem how paras had to expose themselves (not in a sexual way) to put enuff pressure in the dam spring to er... cock it.

Yes; I am sure. See this website for a detailed description of how the weapon worked:

http://www.inert-ord.net/atrkts/piat/index.html

Upon firing, the spigot was blown back and automatically re-cocked. This also helped absorb some of ferocious recoil. It was absolutely violent to shoot, heavy, bulky, and hard to operate but was an effective tank killer.

Note, though, that it has to be cocked prior to loading for the first time, and you don't generally just run around with a weapon like this cocked. So the stories of the paras having to stand up to cock the weapon in battle probably refers to them cocking and loading the weapon for the first shot -- on firing, the recoil energy was supposed to re-cock it. As I've mentioned, though, elsewhere I have read that the recoil re-cocking function of the weapon didn't always work as it was supposed to.

I want CM:TW

Combat Mission Ticket to Warsaw.

Covering from sept through december 1939.

Axis player can be German OR soviets.

Allied player is Poland

Then we can discuss CM:BF 1940.

and CM:EA, covering the Japanese war in Korea, China, Indochina, etc.

I suspect that you are going to be waiting a while for those titles my friend ;).