Please: stop telling me "its like this in CMSF"

How many more times will we read "Oh, it's like that in CMSF"?

I don't play CMSF. I don't like CMSF. It doesn't help one bit to say "it's been like that for 3 years in CMSF"... is there some rule that to qualify to play CMBN you have to play CMSF first or somefink? Sorry, I missed the memo...

GaJ

How many more times will we read "Oh, it's like that in CMSF"?

I don't play CMSF. I don't like CMSF. It doesn't help one bit to say "it's been like that for 3 years in CMSF"... is there some rule that to qualify to play CMBN you have to play CMSF first or somefink? Sorry, I missed the memo...

GaJ

^^^^^this.

The reason I (we) don't know how CMx2 works is we never played/liked/had any interest in CMSF (and sequels). If you can, when we ask questions, if you feel like answering, tell us "Oh, it was like this in CMx1, but in CMx2 you have to do fill-in-the-blank". BFC is going to have a lot of returning CMx1 customers that never played or didn't like CMSF.

I see your point. At the same time, it is a bit frustrating when the CMBN forum gets bogged down by innumerable questions about basic gameplay, most of which could be answered by a short trip to the CMSF "tips and tricks" forum.

Perhaps the best solution would be for some of us CMSF veterans to compile a "most important things for CMx1 players to know about CMx2" post, and sticky it here. This would reduce some of the post repetition, while still getting people the information they need.

I'm probably not the one to initiate this, as I haven't been playing CMSF for the past couple of months because I uninstalled it on the Windows side of my Mac, and I'm waiting for the OSX version. So my CMSF knowledge is a bit rusty... but perhaps someone else who plays both CMSF and CMBN can get things started.

Perhaps the best solution would be for some of us CMSF veterans to compile a "most important things for CMx1 players to know about CMx2" post, and sticky it here. This would reduce some of the post repetition, while still getting people the information they need.

That would be very helpful ... I am also a WWII CMx1 veteran trying to figure out CMBN CMx2 ... Thanks!!

I visited the CMSF Tips and Tricks section. I didn't find it overwhelmingly illuminating. There was some useful information, iterspersed with reams of discussion about weapons etc that I have no familiarty with or interest in.

And a read of the T&T section isn't going to pre-answer the basic sorts of "issue questions" that newcomers to CMBN will inevitably have. So we (newcomers) might as well ask the questions, and those that know the answers might as well answer them :) Then we'll get all the answers into the CMBN forum and get past this phase ASAP.

I totally agree that this would be a great thing. I don't think it will make the problem go away though :D

GaJ

I visited the CMSF Tips and Tricks section. I didn't find it overwhelmingly illuminating. There was some useful information, iterspersed with reams of discussion about weapons etc that I have no familiarty with or interest in.

Exactly. The nuggets of wisdom are buried under dross. Would be great if BF could pull those out and put them in a sticky on this forum.

One problem with old CMx2 veterans giving advice is its become so second nature to us that we don't even realize there might be a question sometimes! Imagine trying to explain how to tie your shoelaces to someone whose never done it before. You're obliged to take a couple steps back to look at what you're doing instinctively before describing to others how its done. :)

Thing is those who played CMSF will be irratated with all the questions that have already been answered before, many a fair while ago...and the same old debates....thats why I'm going to keep clear of the forums...at least until all the old stuff already talked about many times had died down abit.

Also if it's like it in CMSF then it's a design decision...aske for new features etc for the coming modules..

Maybe someone from BF should start up a feature request thread...

We had the same issue when CMBB came out. Believe it or not a lot of people cut their teeth on that game and not on CMBO. So we got hit with a lot of the same questions which CMBO guys had answered years earlier. And to some extent we had this when CM:SF launched and people hadn't played CMx1 of any flavor. We got hit with questions that any CMx1 player wouldn't have asked because it was so familiar to them.

I think the best approach is to answer the questions that come up without using CM:SF/CM:A *except* as an additional frame of reference. For example, "I don't understand why this works like this"... "well, in CM:SF it worked a different way, we bitched, it was changed, and we were happier with the newer way". That seems fine to me.

If some of you guys want to put together a remade CM:SF/CM:A tips sheet specifically for CM:BN, that would be great.

Steve