First Impressions

wasnt accusing you ive read your posts and y0u seem a great guy and i appreciate the thread i only posted so you didnt get lots of posts saying same thing

No worries :) I would probably be as worried/paranoid myself, which is a healthy thing on the internet.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any magic required to properly use trenches and foxholes in the bocage? :confused:

I'm playing "Busting the Bocage" as Germans and have loads of trenches and foxholes... only problem is that I can't properly use them. I can't turn trenches and foxholes and when I try to place them directly behind some hedges my LOS gets reduced to ~10-15m. :confused:

As it stands now I'd ditch all my trenches somewhere without placing any units in them.

Foxholes don't turn, they are multidirectional.

Trenches and barbed wire can be turned, but you have to kind of use a workaround. Place one section and then place another close to it. They will snap together and by placing the second close to the first in different positions you can kind of adjust the line of the trenches or wire.

That is the way I came up with to adjust. Good luck.

Beautiful !

Well worth the wait. I´m glad I preordered ....

One minor niggle - in the german version there is a menuentry in the pre-setup, named

" Entwerferanmerkungen ". Thats VERY awkward german. I think you should name that one " Authoranmerkungen" .

Canuck,

I assume (yeah, yeah) that you have not been playing CMSF or CMA. If this is your first time with the camera control scheme, have you tried the mouse camera control or are you only using the keyboard?

I ask because I find the mouse to be far, far better for camera control work. That leaves the keyboard for orders and zooming in.

Ken

good job guys

looks and plays superbly

ran it at max to see if it wanted to give me any FPS issues,not a problem

gotta love the MG42,makes me wanna have one at home for rodents and the like:)

now i await the full game

good show ol boy,wot!

Salute

Let's try this angle. Please tell me what system I would need to run the game with all in game settings max at 1920x1200 with 8xAF 2xAA Vysnc on and keep fps 30 or higher, preferably 60 fps?

Because I have:

Q9650 @3.6Ghz

EVGA 580 gtx SSC (270.61 drivers - latest)

4GB DDR2

Vista64

...and I'm getting into the teens at time during playback with:

no AA, 8x AF, no Vsync, Best models, Improved LOD, High Priority.

Shadows seem to be the biggest killer often taking over 20fps by turning them on.

Is there any magic required to properly use trenches and foxholes in the bocage? :confused:

I'm playing "Busting the Bocage" as Germans and have loads of trenches and foxholes... only problem is that I can't properly use them. I can't turn trenches and foxholes and when I try to place them directly behind some hedges my LOS gets reduced to ~10-15m. :confused:

As it stands now I'd ditch all my trenches somewhere without placing any units in them.

Bocage has a low bank under it, so if you're standing in a hole you can't see over it.

Foxholes/trenches look higher than they're treated by the engine, to stop them deforming the terrain mesh (and so breaking FOW). It's a compromise but the best that can be done right now.

Canuck,

I assume (yeah, yeah) that you have not been playing CMSF or CMA. If this is your first time with the camera control scheme, have you tried the mouse camera control or are you only using the keyboard?

I ask because I find the mouse to be far, far better for camera control work. That leaves the keyboard for orders and zooming in.

Ken

I'm in agreement with Canuck .... I gave up on CMA demo because of the interface ... I was so used to CMx1 controls .... WWII is of interest enough for me to want to learn the controls ... I fell asleep last night after download when I failed to get units to go where I wanted ... try again tonight when I'm awake !!

Graphics look fabulous!!

Let's try this angle. Please tell me what system I would need to run the game with all in game settings max at 1920x1200 with 8xAF 2xAA Vysnc on and keep fps 30 or higher, preferably 60 fps?

Because I have:

Q9650 @3.6Ghz

EVGA 580 gtx SSC (270.61 drivers - latest)

4GB DDR2

Vista64

...and I'm getting into the teens at time during playback with:

no AA, 8x AF, no Vsync, Best models, Improved LOD, High Priority.

Shadows seem to be the biggest killer often taking over 20fps by turning them on.

hmm,

i have a Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz

2 x EVGA 460 oc

4GB DDR2

Win7 64

and im getting well over 70fps according to my EVGA precision and Fraps

whilst its early days and i cant be certain of anything yet,id suggest you should be able to at least match my rig if not best it

i used to have alot of performance issues with vista in certain games

but i would hesitate to say for certain its the problem

maybe try some older drivers and retest it?

im using the same drivers as you,from EVGA itself

I didn't know (or forgot) that right click allows the camera to rotate in any direction. At least that's what someone said on the Wargamer forums. I will give it a try next time. If thats the case then perhaps the camera isn't that bad (but still could be better although I'm certain I'm probably in the minority here).

Consistently over 70fps? Wow! With max settings in the game? I can get those fps if I turn shadows off and lower the LOD way down but I'd really rather not if there was another way.

Other games are getting the correct fps that they should so I don't think it's a problem on my end.

I didn't know (or forgot) that right click allows the camera to rotate in any direction. At least that's what someone said on the Wargamer forums. I will give it a try next time. If thats the case then perhaps the camera isn't that bad (but still could be better although I'm certain I'm probably in the minority here).

Yes, rigth-click allows you to pan the camera in every direction. That makes a whole lot of difference, you're reaction-time becomes much shorter, gives you the edge. You'll get used to it no-time

My first impressions after 15 turns in the tutorial scenario (WEGO / Iron):

- WEGO is fun again !

- Graphics are great, trees no longer disappear at distance

- Many small but great improvements

- Small arms lethality seems right at long distance (300m +)

- Game is a must-have for sure !

Question:

Can infantry and tanks always spot and fire through bocage ?

I mean if they are right behind the bocage and facing correctly.

Bug report:

Some animation issues in WEGO replay, tank commander in the air above tank, infantry teleporting a few meters.

Things I've loved in the few more turns I've played: soldiers hopping over walls, tanks destroying them as they go through them.

My first real dislike: tank movement. Oh deary dear, are these drivers learners? Are tank controls really that binary? I'm watching my tanks rush forwards then slam on the breaks, rocking wildly, then turn, then rush forwards again, then repeat... those poor guys inside must be getting sick-as. I'm getting sick just watching them!

I'm no tank grog, but a quick youtube search turns up lots of video like this,

where it seems possible to drive a sherm smoothly...

It speeds up, it slows down, it turns, all without lurching...

GaJ

Bocage has a low bank under it, so if you're standing in a hole you can't see over it.

Foxholes/trenches look higher than they're treated by the engine, to stop them deforming the terrain mesh (and so breaking FOW). It's a compromise but the best that can be done right now.

The problem I see is that historically the Germans dug MG nests and positions right into the Bocage too. There's also lot's of photos of foxholes dug right into the bocage hedges.

As it stands now I find the bocage to be a bit more of hindrance when being on defence, especially as my units are rather vulnerable to artillery when not protected by anything. :(

Very early first impressions,

Arty is deadly!

Bocage fighting is brutal! Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "fog of war".

Graphics are great!

Sounds are great!

All in all, a beautiful, beautiful game, and anyone interested in wargaming should buy it immediately.

Congratulations BFC!!

Amazing game! Just two minor issues at the moment:

1. When I close the game, it freezes and I've got to use the task manager to manually kill the CMBN process
  2. I get weird (green) textures and sky when in the editor's 3D view

I'll see if I can post a screenshot of the weird textures later, working now.