First Impressions

First impressions after playing 10 turn-based minutes of the tutorial mission (I played a LOT of CMBO back in the day, plus some CMBB and CMAK, but haven't touched any of them in years):

1) Sweeeeeeet... Combat Mission is BACK :)

2) I get good frame-rates, but the controls feel generally "laggy", especially when scrolling. Laptop is a Lenovo W520 running Win7: Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DRAM, ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 with 512 MB VRAM. I've played around with all the graphics settings, both in the game and in the ATI Control Panel (e.g. going down to 1024x768, and cranking everything up to "fastest"). Possibly related is that I see delayed redrawing of grass and tree textures: I'll scroll across the map nice and smoothly, then stop, ... and watch while the grass and trees are filled in, taking a second or so.

3) Using mouse-wheel scrolling, I can zoom up (down?) to a state where I'm off-map and W/A/S/D has seemingly no effect, although it's hard to tell because there's no visible reference points. I've gotten into this state twice - it's easy enough to get out of by using -/+ to select a unit, but it's made me more cautious in my mouse-wheel use.

4) Zooming into grass and seeing a "crop-circle" effect (concentric rings of grass texture) is kinda weird.

5) Did I mention that it's great to see Combat Mission again? :)

6) Hellishly hard to see attackers a couple of hedges away. No casualties so far and I'm slowly pushing up the middle, but I'm starting to see why "reconnaissance by fire" was so popular. Blasting the heck out of vague sound contacts and creeping forwards to get better angles on them...

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn... Easy Company... holy crap I can't believe we didn't catch that! Especially me, since I actually caught the fact that the short description was using an earlier description when it was Abel Company. Phonetically correct, but it would have been confusing when you wound up commanding "E Company".

Oh well, there's bound to be a v1.01 Demo :D

Steve

I'm sure it's just the sleep deprivation. No doubt you've been busy boys.

Of course now all of us are going to be sleep deprived too, so by Saturday no one will notice.

I have to say I'm even more impressed than I was expecting, and I had pretty high expectations. There's a definite feeling that this game is a big leap forward from Shock Force (and I'm a big Shock Force fan), and it's not just the WWII setting. I guess it's all the little details because there aren't any really obvious examples that I can put my finger on. It's a masterpiece.

2) I get good frame-rates, but the controls feel generally "laggy", especially when scrolling. Laptop is a Lenovo W520 running Win7: Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DRAM, ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 with 512 MB VRAM. I've played around with all the graphics settings, both in the game and in the ATI Control Panel (e.g. going down to 1024x768, and cranking everything up to "fastest"). Possibly related is that I see delayed redrawing of grass and tree textures: I'll scroll across the map nice and smoothly, then stop, ... and watch while the grass and trees are filled in, taking a second or so.

Did you try this High Priority Process = On?

I had almost no response from mouseclicks and menus when it was set to OFF, I could move around camera a bit but that was it.

Dear Battlefront,

Thank you very much for my 41st birthday present. So far I have received a CMBN demo, and an indoor herb garden from my brother. Don't tell him but I prefer yours.

I feel awful. I didn't get you anything for yours. I'm sorry, I was really busy at the time. Any ideas what you want for your next birthday? Remind me again when it is. My memory is terrible. Do you like herbs?

Ed

The demo is great, I look forward to getting the whole game when it's released. The graphics are impressive, and the demo runs pretty smoothly on my computer at the highest settings!

But I was really disappointed that the PDF manual has "CM:BN Demo" stamped in the middle of every page, making it a pain to read.

First the useless online reader, and now this? What are you afraid of, that someone is going to decide not to buy the game if they get a real, readable PDF manual with the demo? You should want to distribute the manual as much as possible, since it is a great way to advertise all the features and make people want to buy the game.

I would certainly have enjoyed the demo and these past weeks of waiting for the release much more if I had been able to read the manual. Now it looks like I have to wait until the full game is released. :(

Dear Battlefront,

Thank you very much for my 41st birthday present. So far I have received a CMBN demo, and an indoor herb garden from my brother. Don't tell him but I prefer yours.

I feel awful. I didn't get you anything for yours. I'm sorry, I was really busy at the time. Any ideas what you want for your next birthday? Remind me again when it is. My memory is terrible. Do you like herbs?

Ed

Are you offering an herbal bribe to BFC? :eek: Happy Birthday!

Loaded it all up, and saw the briefing for the tutorial, and WOW, they are awesome!!! What a great effort by BFC and the designers, absolutely knocked my socks off and that was just the briefing :) Full kudos for the effort and wonderful initiative of providing the point breakdown as well (hint to future scenario developers). Back to the game :)

Thanks again!

Looks superb...MG42 gunner in training mission behind wall looks as if he should be firing through it...not sure how it can be fixed...wall looks to high for tripod.

Seesm alot crisper than CMSF...really like the overall look....the Germans have better uniforms...very historical;)....

Looking forward to the release....can't wait to see some mods...especially the icon mods similar to the cmsf icon mod...also a base mod...love the skull and crossbones in the CMSF mod...

Allround impressive as I knew it would be....

Seven minutes into the training mission, and I had to stop playing just to post here to say WOW! Yes, maybe not enough time in the game to be especially objective, but come on! Watching my mortars rise and fall in an arc, panzerfausts bouncing off my shermans, and seeing all my best laid plans going horribly wrong is just fantastic!

War has never been so much fun!