First Impressions

Downloaded from the US mirror... twice. (yeah I know I'm not supposed to try to) Don't do it, the files are corrupted from the US mirror.

It's been fixed but they use "cloud computing" and it takes a while for everybody to have access to the fixed download. That's a downside of cloud hosting.

Steve

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tutorial Mission is actually kinda nice.

Though I attribute the embarrassingly hard time I had mostly with me and Mr Default Hotkeys not getting along in a RT game. Oh, and me just generally farting about. I was too busy gaping at stuff and making big exchanges of fire happen (which immediately attracted a fair bit of HE to my massed men. Cool!) to really play well.

Also, charging across open fields look VERY good. In CMSF the troopers moved weird and got mown down a lot. It's much more fun to use infantry now.

Scenarios were all fairly big. Even the tutorial had a respectable number of units. I expected a more modest unit count. I wonder if that wouldn't have been better, as to not overwhelm a novice player, whom this demo is after all really aimed at.

WOW. Looks fantastic.

Heh... just trying to simulate incompetent junior officers :D

Steve

Very nice touch ;).

The briefing for the first mission calls "E" company "ECHO". It should be the opposite of "difficult" to remember the phonetic designation for the letter E in WWII, especially if you've ever read or seen Band of Brothers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet#History

It's been fixed but they use "cloud computing" and it takes a while for everybody to have access to the fixed download. That's a downside of cloud hosting.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I'll keep plugging away at it. Any chance of just dropping it as a torrent?

Glad you like what you've seen so far (I agree, the Tutorial is a lot of fun!).

Few units = easier time for newbies in terms of control

More units = easier time for newbies in terms of absorbing losses

:D

We felt a newbie would probably take a LOT of casualties the first couple of times playing. Because Global Morale pounds the willingness of troops to push on, it wouldn't take very long before the game would be effectively over. So overall it's probably better to have more units than fewer for that margin of error.

Steve

Very, very nice. I'm pleased as punch. The game runs without a hitch on my 20" HP laptop. I was a bit worried but now I can see that I can run the new CM just fine. Got a ways into the tutorial and got distracted so I'll just start over in the morning. It's going to take a bit to get back in the saddle, but boy what fun! Thanks to all the BFC crew and kudos to all of you.

Damn... Easy Company... holy crap I can't believe we didn't catch that! Especially me, since I actually caught the fact that the short description was using an earlier description when it was Abel Company. Phonetically correct, but it would have been confusing when you wound up commanding "E Company".

Oh well, there's bound to be a v1.01 Demo :D

Steve

The error message is: "CRC Failed in CMBN_Demo Setup-1d.bin Unexpected end of Archive"

3rd attempt

Are you downloading from the German site? It has the US English version and worked fine for me, whereas the US mirror had only a partial file and gave me the same message as you got.

The error message is: "CRC Failed in CMBN_Demo Setup-1d.bin Unexpected end of Archive"

3rd attempt

If you see the demo size at 300 something MB then don't download. It needs to be 500 something MB for it to be the right file.

Alternatively you can try the FileFactory link.

Steve

Are you downloading from the German site? It has the US English version and worked fine for me, whereas the US mirror had only a partial file and gave me the same message as you got.

I'm guessing the german mirror is overloaded. After clicking the link, it just hangs. Filefactory... well lets just say it might be quicker for me to drive to Steve's house and ask for a hard copy of the demo.

US mirror at worthplaying is flying along....right I'm bowing out of the forums for a few weeks...going to play rather than get invloved in aftermath...

Wodin, the US link isn't a complete file, thats the problem. Look at file size.. its about 200mb short.

Thanks for the thumbs up! We're happy to finally have it out to you guys.

In general the attacker has an advantage in that he can pick where, when, and how he attacks. The defender basically has to sit and wait it out. In this sense Bocage doesn't really help out the defender too much. However, after forces are engaged then things can become quite a bit more interesting for the attacker. In more forgiving terrain once the attacker breaks through the main line the rear has had it. Not necessarily so with Bocage.

Without giving anything away... I was testing the demo and broke through and thought I had it made. My forces were pretty tattered, but I had a nice combined arms group ready to take on an objective to the rear. I knew exactly what the enemy had back there and it wasn't much, so I thought I could steam roll into the objective.

BOOOM... my tank went up in flames... brrrrrrrt... my lead squad was cut in half by a MG, the rest retreated immediately. I had not even ID'd what shot at me (though I had a pretty good idea). I never took the objective.

Bocage sucks :D

Steve

Haha, I think I know which mission you're refering to. I should have played a few more missions because I'm halfway through the American attack through the bocage (NOT the tutorial) and its a bit tougher than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for providing such an awesome game for the community to play, I'm sure everyone involved is very proud of such an accomplishment.

BTW, do infantry units now pull 360 security? I noticed a few times my American squads had a few units looking towards the back and sides of the formation.

Well it seems we've completely wrecked the german server on worthplaying cause its locked and I'm stuck with filefuchtory and their blistering 50kbps speeds. Takes me back to when I dl'd the first Demo over a decade ago... I was getting about the same. :)

I go to bed at 10:00 US Central Time, get up to pee (which rarely happens at night) at 2:30, and ask myself...am I going really go to the PC and just check? Damn, what the hell. I do believe I have become a Refresh monkey afterall. That said, YES! Demo's here!!! Thanks Steve and BFC!!

But I have about an hour or so to go on the dl , from the German site, so I'm hitting the sack and will have to wait until after work tomorrow to check it out.

THe DL from the German site was almost instantaneous but the file was invalid and wouldn't run. Tried it twice - same result.

Tried file factory but I really don't have the patience to wait four hours for a small DL. This is 2011 after all.

It's wonderful. :D

It runs great at max-max. It looks fantastic. I'll put my specs at the bottom.

I've been playing CMSF the last few weeks and have enjoyed my time with it. But there's something about the setting and armies of the 1940's that's--for lack of a better word--charming. I was sucked-in as soon as the map displayed.

I love the detail, animations, sounds...all of it. The mortar teams, the c-rations and ammo boxes tied to the tanks; it's all just super.

Great job you guys.

i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz

6Gb 1600 ram

Asus Motherboard

GTX460SC

1920x1200 desktop res.

I don't know what my fps was. It wasn't a problem, whatever it was.