First Impressions

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any way to set my MG's to "only shoot at infantry"?

It's slightly suicidal to have them open fire at a tank when the enemy infantry hasn't come into view yet...

not directly, you can give it a "target arc" to limit how far it shoots, but not what it shoots at.

I usully give it a "hide" command and a short "target arc". Then remove one or both when enemy infantry is near.

I was a big fan of CM:BB and CM:AK. I initially tried the CM:SF demo when it first came out, but I hated the engine, and couldn't get into the theater either. Haven't played a round of CM since, until now.

I assume the engine was refined, I wish I had tried again because whatever it is, it feels great in Normandy! I thrashed through 30 min of game time as quick as possible before I had to head out to work this morning. Was I surprised when my troops didn't stop running after the first 60 seconds! Had some minor issues with needing to learn the hotkeys; read the manual stuff, but this has me very excited.

Will probably pick away at the demo until the price comes down a little; I refuse to pay $60 for any PC game ever since consoles started the trend. Not that this isn't worth it, just a matter of principle ;)

I am really enjoying the demo. It looks great!....can't wait to get the game. Runs very nice on core 2 duo E8400, Win 7 64bit, (only) 2 Gigs ram

Same here. No frame rate problems. Looks great and like stated already its gonna keep us very busy until game comes out. Thanks BF for a beautiful game !!!!1

my system:intel duo e7500 @2.93,3.0 gb ram,Gforce gts 450

stone75 - here is what may be happening: when you doubleclick on a unit, all units in its formation are selected as well, and if you then place a movement order, it is automatically applied to all the other currently selected units, too. :)

You can play with "Show all Paths" toggled on to try and avoid it (or spot it more easily when it happens).

Hey Moon.

I just tried the tutorial game again. I clicked the HQ of the squad but only him and ordered him up. The 2 squads attached being the MG and mortar moved up also. But i made sure only the hq was selected not the other two. So at first i thought id figured what was causing the moves as both squads moved ahead of the HQ unit. I tried to replicate it with another move and the stayed put so now i have no idea. SOmehow ehen i slected the HQ, it selected all his units but did not light up the icons. As no others are having this, im sure its a problem at my end so don't want to dwell on it. I shall keep a closer eye on my units when selecting HQs' for sure.

Thanks for the responses guys.

steve

Same here. No frame rate problems. Looks great and like stated already its gonna keep us very busy until game comes out. Thanks BF for a beautiful game !!!!1

my system:intel duo e7500 @2.93,3.0 gb ram,Gforce gts 450

All depends on your settings and what you consider really great. For some 15-25fps is great to others it's 50-60fps. I'm much more on the 50-60 end of things.

Still loving the game, just wish it ran better.

So stoked to be playing the next CM! Thank you, Battlefront!

It sound like they were following the only path available to them, or there was an errant waypoint added somewhere.

About waypoints... CMx1 you could move a waypoint by clicking on it and dragging it to wherever you wanted -- is this not possible in CMx2?

stone75, check your Options screen. Some may have an impact on your mouse click behavior.

Units in CMBN do not move on their own (not like in TOW where this feature DOES exist by design), at least not proactively over long distances, unless self-preservation is triggered.

For the full game, I'd highly advise you guys to make the "direct" hotkeys system the default and have the relative system as the "alternative".

For most people it's way more intuitive... both for old CMx1 players and for RTS players or anyone who plays strategy games of any type really. Having to only press one button to issue an order > having to only press two and cycle through menus.

Personally I find the relative system more intuitive and quicker, and I'm both an old CMx1 player and an avid pc gamer. IMHO, having to press two buttons to issue an order > having to use 20 different keys to issue orders. To each his own.

Hmmm... strange.

Still I'd wager in a RT game against a human opponent you might think differently. Sure you have to memorize more keys, but it's so much more efficient once you do. And it doesn't take that long to learn tbh ;). (especially when it's F for Fast, H for Hide, etc... it makes sense)

I'm just saying that for major gaming sites like Gamespot etc... they'll probably react with a slight "WTF?" if they don't see the option to change hotkeys in the readme. And sure sure, you can say "Oh well they're just a mainstream site who cares blah blah blah" but I remind you that they gave CMBB a 9.1 and editor's choice. Just cause it's a niche game does NOT mean they'll give it a poor review. For most gamers the above makes more sense. I'm positive of that.

not directly, you can give it a "target arc" to limit how far it shoots, but not what it shoots at.

I usully give it a "hide" command and a short "target arc". Then remove one or both when enemy infantry is near.

I wish there'd be some kind of "target light arc", that way units would ignore things they haven't even got a chance of hurting and instead focus on infantry and soft-skinned vehicles. Similarly it would be great to have a "target heavy arc" where units only shoot at vehicles. I don't really want to have my AT gun shoot at anything other than vehicles when it's hiding.

Regarding hide. I used to do that in CMx1 all the time but I noticed that in CMx2 your units completely stop spotting, which is a big downer for me. Would be nice if there would be an "ambush" command that leaves a couple of guys spotting while the rest hides away.

I also found one bug with the US 60mm mortars.

When doing a preliminary fire-mission they often fire the first couple of rounds (sometimes up to 5-10 rounds) off the map or to some area that's up to 180° away from the target.

After playing a couple of hours now I have to say I'm VERY pleasantly surprised. The game runs incredibly smooth compared to CMSF and, apart from the foxhole/trench problem and MG's thinking shooting at tanks is more important than shooting at the infantry 50m away from them, I didn't find anything that really annoys me.

Great job BFC! :)

Ah so much to like.

I instantly recognized the tutorial map from the preview, but there were some new suprises in store :-). I have to admit I had to restart it as I embaressed myself with loosing quite some armor the first time and being in the wrong spot as some nasty arty dropped in.

Second go went much better and I was able to give the krauts the righteous trashing they deserved.

And so many nice impressions.

The map and/or landscape looks lovely, almost beautifull. Infantry movement and combat is a joy to behold and leaps and bounds better then the CMx1 models. And .. and.. and... ah so many impressions.

Let's just say and was grinning, shouting and cheering at the screen again like I did in the CMx1 days and back at the preview. The old CM magic is back!

Now excuse me while I get me some more CM on :-D

I wish there'd be some kind of "target light arc", that way units would ignore things they haven't even got a chance of hurting and instead focus on infantry and soft-skinned vehicles. Similarly it would be great to have a "target heavy arc" where units only shoot at vehicles. I don't really want to have my AT gun shoot at anything other than vehicles when it's hiding.

Regarding hide. I used to do that in CMx1 all the time but I noticed that in CMx2 your units completely stop spotting, which is a big downer for me. Would be nice if there would be an "ambush" command that leaves a couple of guys spotting while the rest hides away.

When doing a preliminary fire-mission they often fire the first couple of rounds (sometimes up to 5-10 rounds) off the map or to some area that's up to 180° away from the target.

After playing a couple of hours now I have to say I'm VERY pleasantly surprised. The game runs incredibly smooth compared to CMSF and, apart from the foxhole/trench problem and MG's thinking shooting at tanks is more important than shooting at the infantry 50m away from them, I didn't find anything that really annoys me.

Try split squads. Break out a scouting team and let them keep their heads up like gophers. Split off AT team if you have it and then hide them and the rest of the squad nearby. Infantry come by, pop up the LMG and fire teams...tanks come by pop up the AT team. Plus split squads allows you to cover more ground.

As to mortars, if they can't see the ground you have targeted they are going to try to do spotting or simply going to have crappy aim. You need a TRP or get them a solid view of the target while under command of their HQ.

For the full game, I'd highly advise you guys to make the "direct" hotkeys system the default and have the relative system as the "alternative".

For most people it's way more intuitive... both for old CMx1 players and for RTS players or anyone who plays strategy games of any type really. Having to only press one button to issue an order > having to only press two and cycle through menus.

I have to agree with this suggestion. Its a good idea to have absolute or direct keys or the option to do so. IMO

Well I tried the demo on my only avaliable computer at the moment. A 1.3Ghz notebook and it not only runs but runs smoothly at max settings! Love the vehicle and unit graphics. It's also nice to see the penetration info is back not to mention that CM feeling. Time to pre order!

Looks great but is there a hotkey for slowing down the replay? Everything moves so fast. Id like it more if I could watch it in slow motion so I can enjoy every detail.

No, there is only pause, 1:1 running, and skip forward/backward.

With interesting scenes I uses the latter a lot, to view the same thing from different angles.

As to mortars, if they can't see the ground you have targeted they are going to try to do spotting or simply going to have crappy aim. You need a TRP or get them a solid view of the target while under command of their HQ.

I thought preliminary fire-missions are supposed to be spot on?

At last the manual says so.

Note, I'm not talking about in-battle fire-missions, I'm talking about fire-missions ordered in the set-up phase. (christ, that's a lot of - :D)

If MGs are firing on tanks, it is because the TC is unbuttoned.

Hmmm... strange.

Still I'd wager in a RT game against a human opponent you might think differently. Sure you have to memorize more keys, but it's so much more efficient once you do. And it doesn't take that long to learn tbh ;). (especially when it's F for Fast, H for Hide, etc... it makes sense)

I've played many RT games of CMSF against human opponents, and I found the relative system served me quite well. I'd wager I'm just as fast with the relative system as you are with the direct system :). Again, to each his own.

Downloaded the demo in 4 minutes from Gamershell, started the demo, checked the manual and observed that the demo seems to be made only for old CM hands. I haven't played CM for years (Africa was the last version I played. That was before I left the Battlefront forums for good years ago because there were too many vociferous opponents of maneuver warfare - but that is another story...),and I have no idea what to do. I couldn't even figure out how to place my units.

The manual has a bunch of tutorials that start a new player from scratch, but these are not available in the demo. These should be in the demo to attract new CM players to the game.

I probably would get the full game so I could level up with the tutorials, but the game is not yet available...

Oh well, it looks nice anyway, and I will probably figure it out eventually...

Henri