Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR

If only it had been played in WeGo so tyrspawn could go back and get a good view of it. ;)

That would have definitely made for a better video- I know I was getting a bit of motion sickness there and definitely there would be sounds of something happening, where I would reach for my mouse, before realizing I couldn't go look at what was happening.

But doing the video playing real time is the only way to really do a vid like this- using WEGO I'd imagine the time and effort he'd have had to put in would have been much, much more and I'm sure what he did was more work than most of us would have wanted to do.

I look at it as a great preview, while leaving a lot of the close up, juicy bits for us to get a good look at when we get the game in our own hands.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, a huge "Thank You" to Tyrspawn for this.

Secondly, wrt the RealTime vs. WeGo video, I think RT was a better choice. WeGo, which is my preferred method of play in almost every single instance, would've made for a much choppier presentation. The work involved in camera placement and replay editing to make a WeGo youtube video appear smooth would be very hard.

Regards,

Ken

And don't forget the "They're gunning down my men and I can't do anything about it for another 50 seconds!" problem with WeGo movies.

And who among us would knowingly pass on the "whoa, get back in front of the house moment" with the AT team. Heck I prefer we-go, but that was just about as good as the Tank team shoot out in the other AAR.

Don't get me wrong... I loved the videos and agree that realtime is the way to go to show an entire battle as it unfolds.

I was suggesting that perhaps one of the testers could just run a WEGO movie with some of the better eye candy events all set up to happen in one movie.

Then just edit together the little clips of each event. I don't care about flow at this point.

It's like fireworks .. I want to go oooo ... aaahhh .... oooo.

A building falling under artillery fire.

A focus on a single close combat between squads.

A tank doing a shoot-n-scoot over uneven ground to show track deformation along with gun and hull recoil effects.

Halftrack deploying troops.

ATG breakdown/move/setup sequence.

You get the idea.

----

Me. Oi likes 'em big.

Dont want to feed the fire in this thread of RT versus WEGO, personally I prefer WEGO (ie. only play WEGO) but I think its great that BFC made it possible to have both. No need to argue which is better. Everyone gets to choose for themselves.

But I do agree that I feel like half the fun is constantly rewinding and watching the cool moments unfold. Such as the close assaults against the Shermans. Would have watched that 'minute' ten times over.

I have very fond memories of CM:BO PBEM's where I would watch critical 'minutes' over and over to get every little tidbit of the game out of that 'minute'. Thats the beauty of CM in my book.

Dont want to feed the fire in this thread of RT versus WEGO, personally I prefer WEGO (ie. only play WEGO) but I think its great that BFC made it possible to have both. No need to argue which is better. Everyone gets to choose for themselves.

But I do agree that I feel like half the fun is constantly rewinding and watching the cool moments unfold. Such as the close assaults against the Shermans. Would have watched that 'minute' ten times over.

I have very fond memories of CM:BO PBEM's where I would watch critical 'minutes' over and over to get every little tidbit of the game out of that 'minute'. Thats the beauty of CM in my book.

Same here! That's why CM and IL-2 Sturmovik are my two favorite games of the last 10 years- not only are they fun but I can always go back and watch the really cool moments as often as I want and from various angles!

Have to agree with this.

I'm also firmly in the WeGo camp, when I first discovered CM after Steel Panthers, it was so refreshing to have a system that didn't have the inherent gameyness of turn-based games.

Plus, 90%+ of my opponents live in other timezones, so Pbem WeGo is pretty much essential.

I take my hat off to Tyrspawn, I doubt I could actually handle/keep track/form and carry out coherent plans in real time unless using a far smaller force than he controlled in the 2 battles.

Have to agree with this.

I'm also firmly in the WeGo camp, when I first discovered CM after Steel Panthers, it was so refreshing to have a system that didn't have the inherent gameyness of turn-based games.

Plus, 90%+ of my opponents live in other timezones, so Pbem WeGo is pretty much essential.

I take my hat off to Tyrspawn, I doubt I could actually handle/keep track/form and carry out coherent plans in real time unless using a far smaller force than he controlled in the 2 battles.

Keeping up the commentary through 1 1/2 hours was impressive too!

I have a couple of golden minutes really golden :

Some scenario where my opponent lost two Churchills to a 75mm at close range and across the field a Pshrek got two more

AND

another scenario wher my Flammpanzer II took out a T34/85 and an enemy squad in the same turn

golden memories ... and possibly on a hard drive somewhere : )

Replays are great!!

I echo all the gooey praises of the video and the game. What really got me excited was the sneaky AI! Sending those Shermans down your blind side was great. I am cusious as to what difficulty level you were on. In the past I have found that increasing difficulty just makes the AI kill more of me. Example 1 game on normal I sho and the AI lost 25 men. AI shot I lost 25 men. HArder setting with exact same conditions; I shot AI lost 25 men; AI shot I lost 200 men! I want an AI that gets smart not more statistical. Will this game do that?

The great thing about WeGo and RT is nobody is forced to play one way or the other. For a full battle video presentation, though, RT is by far the better way to go since the total time spent playing is much shorter than WeGo. Well, unless you're a Pause freak, in which case RT is probably not the best choice of game modes to begin with :D

Steve

I echo all the gooey praises of the video and the game. What really got me excited was the sneaky AI! Sending those Shermans down your blind side was great. I am cusious as to what difficulty level you were on. In the past I have found that increasing difficulty just makes the AI kill more of me. Example 1 game on normal I sho and the AI lost 25 men. AI shot I lost 25 men. HArder setting with exact same conditions; I shot AI lost 25 men; AI shot I lost 200 men! I want an AI that gets smart not more statistical. Will this game do that?

No, the AI will not get smarter. How smart the AI is strategically is totally up to the scenario designer's skills. Difficulty in CMx2 affects how strict your FoW is and fire support call times, along with some other minor things.

I just made a quick battle recording, encoding it now, going to have it uploaded by tonight.

Where dat video at son? Daddy needs his fix!

I kid, I kid.

Maybe all the ingrates made you decide to not do it? Damn you, ingrates!