Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are any bridges and water it might be nice to get a view of them closer up. Agreed on the closer views of the infantry animations.

The mortars firing in that second battle were great. If you could go into a little detail as far as how you are using on board artillery assets (spotter, use of ammo crews), that would be much appreciated.

And WeGo. So things slow down a wee bit. :)

+1 for this too. I kept hearing tank guns, faust's and shreck's in the the back ground and wanting to replay the action!

No biggie though. Will be happy just to see more. Thanks for taking the time.

:D

As to the hand grenade vs. tank idea, I think it's a stretch. If AT rifle grenades aren't tracked, then I can see them being bundled with magnetic, sticky and field expedient devices to give infantry a generic short range AT ability, but explaining it as simply chucking a HE hand grenade on a tank deck hoping to KO it seems like a reach.

I got a kick out of factoring in rifle grenades when deploying and moving infantry in CMBO, and I'll be sorry to see them gone, but it's a quibble. The game looks fantastic.

Who said there were no rifle grenades? Both sides have AT and HE-frag rifle grenades.

I'd have to watch the scene again in detail, but that tank was likely not taken out by grenades.

Thanks BFC and Tyrspawn for sharing.

Not too keen on the AI tank rush, but that's what's H2H is for, right?

2nd battle was MUCH more interesting. Those Marders earned their stripes that day!

A few minor quibbles, but I'll take Steve's advice and STFU. Once I'm playing, I'm sure I'll forget whatever it was I was thinking....

Immersion is great. Once (if?) we get deformable terrain (and partially collapsed buildings due to damage), immersion will be AMAZING.

In the meantime, going to lose a LOT of hrs playing this.... can't wait.

Who said there were no rifle grenades? Both sides have AT and HE-frag rifle grenades.

I swore I read that earlier, but a careful re-reading of this thread just had a poster indicating that "...I think AT grenades are not explicitly simulated so the generic grenade has gotten a boost in AT power."

I might have read something in another thread indicating no rifle grenades, but my memory isn't what it used to was.

At any rate, if the rifle grenades are in, then my minor quibble is quashed.

After spending thousands of hours modelling these vehicles Ill have to disagree with that...panthers, shermans, tigers and many tanks all have engines that are visible from outside of the vehicle through their engine covers. Any fragments, be it from grenades or even small arms fire, that passed through these covers has the chance to knock out oil lines, water hoses, electrical fittings, etc. Even the Abrams has a weak spot to the rear some half century later that required modification for an urban environment (albeit to rpgs).

Dan

I had a relative who was a tanker in WWII. He never talked too much about his experiences except for a couple times that he opened up some. He said one of his scariest times in the war is when they were in action (or at least in the vinicity) and they lost contact with their inf platoon. They withdrew until they could link up again. In his definition: Tank only vs Infantry=Knocked Out Tank.

I'm glad to see that the seriousness of that fact is represented in the sim. And after watching the video--I now call it a simulation rather than a game.

Looks Great!

:)

Both are in CMBN, as they were in CMSF.

We have partially deformable terrain, not fully deformable terrain (statement, not complaint).

Do multi-level buildings partially deform? Like, losing 1/2 a roof and a wall due to damage, but keeping the rest. With troops still able to man the 2nd/3rd floor and modified LOS due to damage?

If so, then yes, I'll have another cup of STFU.

Understood it isn't a priortiy (flame vehicles please), but at some point fully deformable terrain will add to the immersion.

Not too keen on the AI tank rush

Don't forget that scenario's meant to duplicate a real world incident where Barkman dispatched 14(?) Shermans in one go, or whatever the casualty number was said to be. Nothing about that scenario is 'typical' of the game, in the sense that every scenario represents a different tactical situation, build by a different scenario designer, each with a different vision about what works best in the game.

We have partially deformable terrain, not fully deformable terrain (statement, not complaint).

Do multi-level buildings partially deform? Like, losing 1/2 a roof and a wall due to damage, but keeping the rest. With troops still able to man the 2nd/3rd floor and modified LOS due to damage?

If so, then yes, I'll have another cup of STFU.

Understood it isn't a priortiy (flame vehicles please), but at some point fully deformable terrain will add to the immersion.

"Fully-deformable terrain" is a catchphrase thrown around a lot. You'll need to define your expectations more specifically. As far as I'm concerned the only fully-deformable terrain is out in my backyard. Anything in a game is a partial implementation.

For structures, each wall, floor and roof can be destroyed, leaving gaping holes. An entire floor can collapse leaving lower floors standing, or the entire structure can be brought down to a heap of rubble with remnants of wall. The only thing you can't do is have one half of a structure collapse while the other half remains standing. Damage affects LOS, LOF, and cover.

Suficient HE will deform the ground via cratering. Walls, fences, etc. can be breached by various means. Trees can be stripped of foliage.

All this is in CMSF already.

"Fully-deformable terrain" is a catchphrase thrown around a lot. You'll need to define your expectations more specifically. As far as I'm concerned the only fully-deformable terrain is out in my backyard. Anything in a game is a partial implementation.

For structures, each wall, floor and roof can be destroyed, leaving gaping holes. An entire floor can collapse leaving lower floors standing, or the entire structure can be brought down to a heap of rubble with remnants of wall. The only thing you can't do is have one half of a structure collapse while the other half remains standing. Damage effects LOS, LOF, and cover.

Suficient HE will deform the ground via cratering. Walls, fences, etc. can be breached by various means. Trees can be stripped of foliage.

All this is in CMSF already.

And just to add to this: Your troops can use those craters for cover, in CMSF some of the heavier airstrikes can leave a crater big enough for multiple squads to hide in. I would call that some pretty serious terrain deformation!

I'm glad to see that the seriousness of that fact is represented in the sim. And after watching the video--I now call it a simulation rather than a game.

:)

Interesting info Snafu and thanks for passing it on!

With regards to the grenade conversation I think some may may not be considering the difference between a tank being totally knocked out (unable to return to battle at a later time) and abandoned in such an attack. The chances of a grenade knocking out a tank would of course be small short of a fire...but if I was in a tank that had been immobilised by by such an attack within infantry range...personally Id want to get out of there before they call up something bigger to finish the job ;)

Dan

Wow. Just wow. First off, thanks to tyrespawn for these VAARs - great job! I too was having to sit on my hands so I didn't try and reposition units or check damage to recently hit tanks! How's that for immersion?

It's so great to finally see the game in motion - I was blown away at how smooth the game was playing considering all the foliage and intense fire fights (not to mention FRAPS chugging away in the background), and there was no noticeable tree 'texture pop' either, which is a fabulous improvement over CMSF.

It's a shame it cuts out right at the end when you're about to show us the kills each unit got - maybe you can include this in your next vid?

Anyway, great job showcasing the game - I am properly excited and now also very late for work!

Yeah, and if somebody told me to go take out a tank with a frag grenade, I'd be looking to get out of there, too!

I agree that a WWII tank with no infantry support would be a big fat target for enterprising infantrymen, although a dangerous one. I'd also think that given the typical inventory of weapons available, a tossed fragmentation grenade would have been pretty low on the list of things to use. I remember my father talking about "pole charges", basically a bundle of explosives on a big long stick, the idea being that the business end could be thrust on or under a tank. The also made Molatov cocktails and made what we'd call IEDs out of other munitions. While I don't expect giant exploding spears and flaming wine bottles to be modeled in the game, I'm good with having such things abstracted as a short range infantry AT attack.

tyrespawn, please show close-ups of the animations such as MGs and AT guns firing. Focus more on the units and vehicles than actually trying to win a battle, at least for the purposes of showing off the game.

Yes, no offence but i was getting a little dizzy

Right this is not a criticism, but did all the buildings look very new, very clean and very sharp and parts of the ground also looked completely flat and featureless or was it just me?

Please do not take this as a whinge because it is not.

ps are there any modders who have ideas on how to grunge/age the buildings and the landscape?