Why Normandy?

First off,let me say,Can't wait for this game to come out.Looks awesome.But,why did you guys decide on Normandy first.Is there an Africa Corps planned in the future,or Sicily and Italy.What about an Eastern front.Would something the size of Kursk even be possible on this game engine.Even if you were to make the battle of Kursk and break it down into smaller missions,the enormity of that battle would make the campaign like 1000 missions long:eek:.

Not complaining one iota about Normandy.I am just kinda curious as to what made you decide to go this route instead of doing early war stuff first.I would love to see some Soviet equipment in the game.The T 34 would really be cool to use and the PPSH is one of the best weapons ever invented.Just curious about how the mind of a game developer works when deciding what to produce.:D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<Ben Stein-style blasé deadpan> Imagine the hue and cry that would at once be raised from one end of the wargaming world to the other, were it to be found out that the first WW2 CM game in several years would not focus on that most hallowed of battlegrounds: northwestern Europe in the summer of the year 1944. </Ben Stein-style blasé deadpan>

:P

Merry Christmas! :D

If I were to hazard a guess, Normandy is where the money is. ;)

There is indeed an Eastern front title being worked on as we speak... I think... maybe... somewhere. And preliminary work has already gone into the Bulge/late war title. And let's not forget the plans to transport modern war CMSF to the European theatre with improved game engine. Someone once totalled up the number of titles and associated modules scheduled. It was a lot. Like more than a dozen I think.

About Africa Korps. if I were, again, to hazard a guess its a good bet they've had enough desert fighting to last 'em for awhile. CMAK immediately followed by CMSF. That totals 6(?) straight years in the desert, I think.

I'm a huge Ost front gaming fan myself and would have preferred something dealing with the east front first but Normandy will be cool as well.

I realize that the countries that fought on the west front are likely the largest revenue base for cm games in modern times i.e. US, Commonwealth and Germany but………. I just don’t understand how someone prefers the west front compared to the east front. The east front was so much more epic in my opinion, it spanned a greater time frame and more varied terrain compared to the west front.

I really hope they decide to release three east front titles, an early war (Operation Barbarossa), a mid war (Kursk or Stalingrad time frame either one) and a late war (drive on Berlin or a tad bit earlier). I really enjoy the early time frame of PZIII’s going up against early T-34’s and KV’s as much as I do the later time frame of big cats doing battle with big stalins. Not to mention all the awesome small arms and field/tanks guns.

The east front was so much more epic in my opinion

True, but remember we're doing smaller unit (company scale usually) actions. Company-scale carnage looks pretty much the same whether your army's facing east or west. Didn't Clint Eastwood once make a 'gritty war movie' that involved the invasion of Grenada? :eek: :rolleyes:

True, but remember we're doing smaller unit (company scale usually) actions. Company-scale carnage looks pretty much the same whether your army's facing east or west. Didn't Clint Eastwood once make a 'gritty war movie' that involved the invasion of Grenada? :eek: :rolleyes:

True but I just think about all the great skins of yours for cmbb and am dying to see what you have in store with the updated graphics and all for my T-34’s.

Wargaming popularity has been, and probably will always be, in this order:

Western Front (1944-45)

Eastern Front

North Africa (and Italy)

Western Front (1940)

It might also be that North Africa is more popular than something like Barbarossa East Front, but overall the above is a pretty accurate reflection of the WW2 wargaming community's interests.

If I had to hazard the relative size:

Western Front (1944-45) 50%

Eastern Front 30%

North Africa (and Italy) 15%

Western Front (1940) 5%

The rest, like Poland, would be negligible in terms of interest.

For most of you reading this you probably have interest, perhaps even strong interest, in more than one area. But when you add up things sell I think the above is pretty accurate.

Steve

P.S. Merry Christmas from someone who is unfortunately used to working 16 hours a day and can't simply go to bed early for just one night. Bah.

The east front was so much more epic in my opinion, it spanned a greater time frame and more varied terrain compared to the west front.

But you see, from another fan's point of view that might be exactly the problem. The Eastern Front is just too huge to be comprehended. I've always been a fan of the Desert War because the forces there were so much fewer and smaller, yet had so much variation in nationality, so much color. There was something more personal and human about that fight, if such a thing can ever be said about war. The war on the Eastern Front was simply brutal and not much else.

But like MikeyD says, at the level of CM most of that does not matter.

Michael

Wargaming popularity has been, and probably will always be, in this order:

Western Front (1944-45)

Eastern Front

North Africa (and Italy)

Western Front (1940)

It might also be that North Africa is more popular than something like Barbarossa East Front, but overall the above is a pretty accurate reflection of the WW2 wargaming community's interests.

If I had to hazard the relative size:

Western Front (1944-45) 50%

Eastern Front 30%

North Africa (and Italy) 15%

Western Front (1940) 5%

The rest, like Poland, would be negligible in terms of interest.

For most of you reading this you probably have interest, perhaps even strong interest, in more than one area. But when you add up things sell I think the above is pretty accurate.

Steve

P.S. Merry Christmas from someone who is unfortunately used to working 16 hours a day and can't simply go to bed early for just one night. Bah.

In the past Battlefront put it to rest but any thoughts about the War in the Pacific? :o

Why Normandy?...

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have

striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The

hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.

In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on

other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war

machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of

Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well

equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of

1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,

in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their

strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home

Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions

of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.

The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to

Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in

battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great

and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

In the past Battlefront put it to rest but any thoughts about the War in the Pacific? :o

I noticed that too. I've got to think that for an American target audience at least, that the Pacific theater might possibly rank higher than even the eastern front. Of course, I'm not basing that on anything other than my gut feeling. :)

I noticed that too. I've got to think that for an American target audience at least, that the Pacific theater might possibly rank higher than even the eastern front. Of course, I'm not basing that on anything other than my gut feeling. :)

May be down the road a Guadalcanal game? The Americans hold the air field and the Japanese try to take it back.