My Pessimism is Rapidly Declining

I've always sort of been in the "If it's not WW2, I'm not playing",whinny kind of jackass camp.But since seeing all the screens and recent movies, I'm pumped to take America's latest technological advances and kicking some Syrian ass and the little troublemakers with black hoods on too.

Originally posted by legend42:

I've always sort of been in the "If it's not WW2, I'm not playing",whinny kind of jackass camp.

I was the one who met you at the gate, having set up the cots and prepared the menu. However, I'm ready to strike the tents and disband permanently.

I know not everyone will have the same reactions, but having no interest in the subject matter at all didn't stop me from getting sucked in by the game play. It's classic CM; ease of interface, good camera controls (better, now, actually, with the addition of the mouse wheel), just enough units to control without having to micromanage (unless you're Kip Anderson and deploy a brigade on a 1 km square map ;) ), and the little dudes running around just plain look cool. It's like Operation Flashpoint, only you get control over every unit on a side, and the grenades don't explode on contact with the window frames.

It won't be for everyone, but I predict it will work some charm on at least a few of the pessimists.

There will be a large number of people who say that they don't know beans about modern anti-tank weaponry and armour stats and small arms capabilities; well, there were many, many guys who said the same thing about the Hungarian or Italian armies (or for that matter, the German and Soviet armies) in the Second World War who approached CM:BB from the standpoint that it would be an exciting way to learn.

At the Risk of being a SmartA$$

Michael you have truly been assimilated

why do you think you were made a Beta Tester?

(other than your knowledge and expertise)

Its just because you were the sworn leader of the "if not WWII Camp" that they chose you

by luring you in and converting you

they have essentially hobbled the rebellion

I was a lot like Michael but the depth of this thing is unreal. It sucks you in.

I recently commented how I was playing a very small battle and heard each gunshot and saw where each round hit. It is one thing to track each shot from a tank but it is a whole different thing to track each bullet round. In larger battles I never really kept track of that kind of thing and flying bullets get lost in the cacophany of battle. But on a small scale like I saw.....Blew me mind mate.

Originally posted by Speedy:

I'm the reverse, very interested in CMSF but not all that excited about going back to Normandy for the millionth time.

I think it'll feel more like getting there for the first time actually. Just wait until you see the editor, AI programming tool, quality of the 3D models and all. I'm pretty sure you'll take that one back smile.gif

JV

It sure does suck that CMX2 will be based around a modern scenario, rather than WW2.

But not in a "OhMyGawd!!! I'll never play this game!!!11"-sort of suckage but rather in terms of "So, Salmy Hayek AND Keira Knightley BOTH want to make HOT love with me? Fine...but, what do you mean, they forgot to order anchovy for my Pizza?!"-kind of suckage factor.

Well CMx2 WW2 doesnt exist yet, but I think when it does go back to Normandy, you are going to be one of the "OMG Thank YOU BFC for going back to Normandy!" guys.

Originally posted by Speedy:

I'm the reverse, very interested in CMSF but not all that excited about going back to Normandy for the millionth time.

And may I be the first to say publicly, Mr Dorosh here made a great scenario called "Slumming It". One month from now you will actually get your ass kicked by it too.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by legend42:

I've always sort of been in the "If it's not WW2, I'm not playing",whinny kind of jackass camp.

I was the one who met you at the gate, having set up the cots and prepared the menu. However, I'm ready to strike the tents and disband permanently.

I know not everyone will have the same reactions, but having no interest in the subject matter at all didn't stop me from getting sucked in by the game play. It's classic CM; ease of interface, good camera controls (better, now, actually, with the addition of the mouse wheel), just enough units to control without having to micromanage (unless you're Kip Anderson and deploy a brigade on a 1 km square map ;) ), and the little dudes running around just plain look cool. It's like Operation Flashpoint, only you get control over every unit on a side, and the grenades don't explode on contact with the window frames.

It won't be for everyone, but I predict it will work some charm on at least a few of the pessimists.

There will be a large number of people who say that they don't know beans about modern anti-tank weaponry and armour stats and small arms capabilities; well, there were many, many guys who said the same thing about the Hungarian or Italian armies (or for that matter, the German and Soviet armies) in the Second World War who approached CM:BB from the standpoint that it would be an exciting way to learn. </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Geepers, for some of you's guys turning to a non-WWII title is practically equivalent to the going through Kubler-Ross's five stages of grief!

denial

anger

bargaining

depression

acceptance

Please believe me - post '45 is NOT gaming death;)

That's denial. ;)

I was on the "Rah-rah modern!" bandwagon from the start, and I feel pleasantly vindicated that so many fellow testers like the game as much as I do.

smile.gif

As I've said all along, the Syrians aren't pushovers and the weapons and tactics used are in many ways comperable to WWII. The fundamentals you learn in the other CM games will do you well in CMSF.

I've always been neutral about it all, of course I prefered a WWII setting, preferably east front. But it's BFC, they know what they're doing.

Countdown to demo? No way, why not Countdown to release? Speaking of release, I was just polishing off my credit card, when can we pre-order? ;)

The one for me would have been east front but as it is I can't wait to see the next evolution of the CM system.I think the editor and especially "The scenario designer has the ability to create the following:

Groups - a collection of units (up to 8 per side)

Orders - basic instruction sets

Map Zones - areas of the map to focus on

Plans - overall coordination of Groups, Orders, and Zones (up to 5 per side)"

This is for me the most exciting development as it should make battles against the AI much more challenging,and scenario design is going leap forward in future with these tools.In short I think it's going to be a total winner,but please don't rule out east front for the future i.e. after Normandy.

[ June 28, 2007, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: sonar ]

What I will never understand is if you consider yourself a wargamer, then any game covering any period that offers as much as CMSF does would be worth playing. And you forget that since CMSF Modern is first, BFC will have a chance to add much more options and suggestions before CM WWII comes out. That will save some of the IF ONLY IT HAD THIS FEATURE stuff you grogs are really wanting. smile.gif

For those who have played I would like to know how different the gameplay really is in the game.

I was pretty much sick of the CMBO engine before I even bought CMBB, CMAK I bought from the bargain bin for 10 bucks and only played a few games on it. In short my CMX1 playing days are sadly long over.

I am hoping CMSF is going to seem like a very different game, with a different "feel". Is it the same vibe as CMBO with nicer graphics? What are the differences that make it seem like a new game?

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

What are the differences that make it seem like a new game?

The bad dudes don't speak no German and there are no Shermans and PzKpfw IV's.

tongue.gif

There's all sorts of differences, choose your favourite:

theater and era specific (you get to do tricks that just weren't possible in WW2, like thermal sights, ERA, ATGM's, )

simulation (like for instance different parts of a vehicle can take varying degrees of damage, in CMx1 your tank could lose gun, lose tracks and die - or the 1:1 representation of infantry)

gameplay (OOB button shows the levels above and below selected unit and single click takes you to them, re-supply, vehicle crews can leave their vehicle and re-enter, any unit in command can ask for artillery support - although obviously it takes a lot longer than if the FOO did it)

graphics (those vehicles, men, buildings look great, animations are full of little details, almost photorealistic maps)

fun stuff (blue-blue or red-red, anyone?)

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

For those who have played I would like to know how different the gameplay really is in the game.

I was pretty much sick of the CMBO engine before I even bought CMBB, CMAK I bought from the bargain bin for 10 bucks and only played a few games on it. In short my CMX1 playing days are sadly long over.

I am hoping CMSF is going to seem like a very different game, with a different "feel". Is it the same vibe as CMBO with nicer graphics? What are the differences that make it seem like a new game?

What exactly is it you think the new engine could possibly do dramatically differently? And how is it not possible to grasp the answer to your questions from the mountain of information already made available to you on this forum and in the various previews?

Try the demo. My guess is if you were sick of CM:BO and honestly didn't notice a difference between CM:AK and the former, or enjoy CM:AK any more than CM:BO, you won't enjoy CM:SF.

The most dramatic changes, to me, were the scenario design tools. The greatest strength was that it really was so much like the earlier games in that you needed to use real-world tactics to do well, it retained the same kind of simple point and click interface, and a good camera system.

It sounds like you either have no idea what you are looking for, or no way to describe adequately to us what your expectations of your dream product are. Either way, it makes it difficult to come up with an answer that would satisfy you. I gave you an extensive answer the last time you asked this question which you never responded to, so maybe save your energy and just download the demo and see for yourself.

The decision making tree for the player remains indentical to the very first combat mission - you are a company commander in charge of vehicles and squads of men. You tell them where to go and what to shoot at. You can't tell individual riflemen where to shoot or to engage in hand to hand combat. There is no first person view. There is relative spotting, but you can still have a view of all the units on the map. You can crank the camera up as high as it will go, and with the TOW-like coloured icons, you know where every unit on the map is all the time - no more hunting for coloured bases like in CM:BO. It's more streamlined. So no, there are no major changes in gameplay other than making the interface much easier to use. Your decision making is still the same. The only major difference is we now have a campaign rather than operations, and even there, force preservation is the key so no major changes there.

If you are asking whether the units need to be controlled differently, well, naturally. Modern armour has greater engagement ranges and the small arms are deadlier. We could present a ream of stats for you, but your question is so vague I'm not sure it would do any good.

[ July 03, 2007, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]