New CMSF screenshots. Urban warfare

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

That doesn't mean you can't go into overtime. That's an option for sure.

Steve

Woohoo! I hope I'm reading you right, but did you mean that we could elect to continue a battle after it was 'over'? That would be very nice indeed. Many a CM was so very clearly not done yet when the timer ran out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How about blood, gore, guts, scattered body parts"

Awhile ago I had asked if wounded souldiers could at least swap-out their uniform art to slightly ...'soiled' versions, but no-go on that either.

I spotted a couple super-extreme gore-fest combat games on You-Tube awhile ago. They were nasty enough to make me change my mind on the 'soiled uniform' topic. No gore is just fine by me.

YouTube Dead Rising

[ January 16, 2007, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Scipio:

How about blood, gore, guts, scattered body parts and all the other things that let us realize that war ain't half as nice as shown on CNN?

I think anyone with an intellect beyond that of a two year old has already figured that out, haven't they? In fact, blood guts and gore tends to pander to those that HAVEN'T figured it out. So the result of your suggestion seems to be 180 degrees from the intent.

Can each palm tree be individually scaled in size by a random factor to alleviate the cloned look especially when they are running in a line.

I can see they are rotated in the pic with the prone soldier (5th down)

Otherwise looking good

PS can you have scrawny dogs that run of map at the first shot

mumford9-16-11.jpg

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"How about blood, gore, guts, scattered body parts"

Awhile ago I had asked if wounded souldiers could at least swap-out their uniform art to slightly ...'soiled' versions, but no-go on that either.

I spotted a couple super-extreme gore-fest combat games on You-Tube awhile ago. They were nasty enough to make me change my mind on the 'soiled uniform' topic. No gore is just fine by me.

YouTube Dead Rising

That sort of gore is so over the top that it has the reverse affect.

IMO their is a bell curve of violence and when the violence and gore go past a certain point it losses its revolting power and becomes something else.

The Kill Bill movies are a good example. They are extremley violent, but it is so over the top that standing next to something like Saving Private Ryan, they pale in comparison.

I prefer to have wounds, gore, etc. abstracted. If a wounded soldier has a red stain on his uniform that's fine, but anything more than that and the game stops being a game and suddenly turns into a representation of, or, a metaphor for current events and who needs that.

On the other hand, I do hope to see objects like bodies or debris flying from explosions, just not body parts.

I think bandages and "red badges of courage" would suffice.

No need to model 20 year-old-something soldiers who have just been horribly maimed and screaming bloody murder.

Gen. Robert E. Lee said "It is a good thing that war is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it". Since this is a game, lets keep it fun and leave the terrible tragedy of war part out.

is TacAI done yet? that third picture worries me. those bunched up men are asking for a RPG round, some men are laying on top of each other facing very different directions and in general i wonder about the idea of laying down on open street without any cover. it also looks like all the men in a team face the same direction (save for those two guys laying on top of each other) - shouldn't they be covering different sectors?

i would consider tuning down those shadows as well, because they look like a slight distraction, especially those huge dark shadows cast by buildings. at first i thought those darker areas were some different type of asphalt or something.

EDIT: i'm not sure i like the decision of choosing detailed models over detailed terrain. detail on models is just eye candy, while detail on terrain adds real tactical functionality in means of cover, LOS and ability to move.

how much of the detail of the models can you see in normal playing session anyway? i'd like to see a screenshot from normal game play situation, something like 100 meters above the troops.

[ January 17, 2007, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: undead reindeer cavalry ]

Looks great! Sharp detail and atmospheric lighting. A question though, will different times of the day affect light intensity and hue? Looks like most of the shots so far are taken in midday in bright sunlight.

About buildings and textures..obviously there is a texture for each building wall that multiplies itself according to the size of the building. Will we be able to mod building skins in a way that our nice arabic grafiti will not display on each and every storie of an apartment block, or repeat itself along a long wall?

I wished we could have user created doodads for enriching an urban setting. Signs, abandoned cars, some more debris perhaps.

Soldiers and vehicles look incredible, I doubt there is a single strategy game out there with such attention to model detail.

[ January 17, 2007, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: panzermartin ]

Steve, I see you still have the diamond shape for blue icons. ;)

6. Stryker's gun has been able to rotate for about a year :D We did have some problems with target tracking (bug), but that was fixed. The reason why the guns are facing forward in these shots is because there are no targets to the sides and the player didn't opt to override the default position (i.e. straight ahead).

I believe the guns should be rotated in different orientations depending on where the vehicle is in the formation... frontal should not necessarily be the default.

Looking real good BTW!

Bil

Yeah, the soldier models haven't been touched in about 6 months. We will run through them and fix a bunch of problems all at one time. This is a texture problem in any case, which can be modded if for some reason we forget to fix it.

Steve

Get yer crayons ready, M1A1TankCommander.

That's so unwieldy a name. Can we call You Mark I for short? Or Little Abrams or somefink?

Mickey, Michael...you boys ain't got not much sense of humor, do you? :rolleyes:

However, I wonder how wounded/dead soldiers are represented in CM:SF - since each soldier is simulated now and not just represented as a number in abstraced group of soldiers.

Originally posted by Scipio:

Mickey, Michael...you boys ain't got not much sense of humor, do you? :rolleyes:

Was my crayon remark not a triumph of wit? :D

However, I wonder how wounded/dead soldiers are represented in CM:SF - since each soldier is simulated now and not just represented as a number in abstraced group of soldiers.

Us too, to be honest.