New CMSF screenshots. Urban warfare

On behalf of Puntadelanza (spanish Combat Mission Website), I would like to thank you Battlefront for sharing with us these exclusive "bone" shots about CM Shock Force. Very impressive!

These shots show an urban combat. We can see a mix of vehicles and land troops, soldiers firing on roofs, sneaking and taking casualties.

Thank you Battlefront!

CMSF1.jpg

CMSF2.jpg

CMSF3.jpg

CMSF4.jpg

CMSF5.jpg

CMSF6.jpg

These shots are from an early beta, of course.

[ January 16, 2007, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Haplo_Patryn ]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haplo_Patryn,

Don't know how you pulled off the exclusive, but many thanks! Judging from street width in the top image, I was going to say it's a main drag, but now I'm confused, what with sidewalks, etc. dwarfing the actual pavement. The Strykers (huge!) shown are evidently the ones with the late pattern armor mods and show them well. the lighting in the shots nicely depicts the merciless desert sun with its peculiar intensity. This is a subject I know from direct experience having lived previously for seven years in Arizona and traveled all over the American Southwest. Looks like the GIs on the roof are each carrying a SAW magazine in addition to wearing a CamelBak hydration system. Nice palms! City looks rather barren, but it IS early in the dev cycle , so set dressing is likely to be nil.

Regards,

John Kettler

Gracias por los cuadros!

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Looks like the GIs on the roof are each carrying a SAW magazine in addition to wearing a CamelBak hydration system.

Those are promask (protective gas mask) carriers on their hip.

Some notes:

US troops carrying RPGs? Are those stand-ins for Javelins or AT4s?

Stryker .50cals still don't turn? (IIRC Steve said that they don't track targets yet).

In one of the pics the squad UI is shown with three M4s and an M249 Para w/M145 optic. Is the M203 not equipped or does it just not have a UI representation.

Overall looks really, really good.

[ January 16, 2007, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: fytinghellfish ]

Now we see what 1:1 representation looks like. A couple platoons in CMx2 are going to look like a full Company from CMx1!

Scale looks a bit wonky to my eyes. Either they're playing at 'Scale +1' size like in CMx1 or I'm just not used to how gigantic a Stryker vehicle really is! Or perhaps I think of palm trees as being somewhat taller.

Woot!

I suppose moer dirty would be nice. Also the light is very bright, is on porupose? It's desert so as John Kettler has explaiend it may be.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Scale looks a bit wonky to my eyes. Either they're playing at 'Scale +1' size like in CMx1 or I'm just not used to how gigantic a Stryker vehicle really is! Or perhaps I think of palm trees as being somewhat taller.

Not really at +1 scale, check the doors and the windows, they are proportional to soldiers and vehicles. Probably are palm trees which are smaller.

The third shot shows the obvious Red Cross symbol for the wounded on the right side of the image in the middle somewhat) and my guess is the forth image shows (JUST a guess) a KIA, maybe with some passion and emotion being displayed in the hand position/gestrue of the fellow solider attending him, or picking up ammo.

FWIW

Well, I'll disagree with all the fanboy "huzzahs" I'm reading. Why? Simply look at that road. C'mon: do the Syrians really paint double yellow lines (ala US style) down the middle of their roads? Hmmm, I thought not. If this is typical of the level of research, then I fear for this game.

(Remove tongue from cheek)

Cool. Thanks!

Ken

Glad you like them! OK, here is a disclaimer about some of the things you guys have noticed:

1. Right now there is only one equipment load for all US soldiers. This will change so that the SAW gunner has his own, Rifleman has his own, etc.

2. Yeah, the RPG is a placeholder in there for IIRC M249. Charles had too much wine in his jar juice that day :D Dan is currently working on finishing off all the small arms so this should be fixed soon.

3. Model posture and animations are still very crude placeholders.

4. Shadows have been a big problem for us on ATI cards as I've noted in another thread. Charles has some tricks up his sleeve to fix some of these issues, including the one you're seeing (that's a performance tradeoff that needs to be tweaked). He'll be getting to that soon.

5. Skybox used for these shots is indeed from CMAK. We have new ones already in the game as of a week or so ago. They look nice :D

6. Stryker's gun has been able to rotate for about a year :D We did have some problems with target tracking (bug), but that was fixed. The reason why the guns are facing forward in these shots is because there are no targets to the sides and the player didn't opt to override the default position (i.e. straight ahead).

7. We have plans to add random trash around the place. Unfortunately, it is one of those things that chews up a lot of framerate to do right. Meaning, our cities will not look as cluttered and dirty as the real things by far, but they won't look as clean s they do in these screenshots. Check out Armed Assault and you'll see that their unit models are probably 1/5th as detailed because they invested their "poly and texture budget" on the environment. We decided to strike a different balance.

8. That is a casualty on the ground. They are being shown, but there is no simulation of the treatment of wounded other than someone administering first aid. That's what you're seeing in the 4th shot. However, that's a placeholder animation from a heavy weapons team, or something, which is why it doesn't look right. Treating wounded does cause some delay and distraction.

9. Visual portrayal of weapon in the 2D UI is simply for identification purposes, not necessarily specific to the exact doodads and what not of what the guys are using. In general there is a 1:1 relationship. The little doodads don't have much of an effect on anything anyway. I remember a 101st Airborne LTC back from the initial year in Iraq said he was too old to be lugging around all that crap on his rifle. He said he used iron sights and in his opinion he didn't need anything more than that :D

10. Everything is in literal 1:1 scale. At least everything should be! Occasionally there is some sort of error, but that's quickly sorted out. Yes, the Stryker is not a small vehicle. Think about it... 11 soldiers are in this sucker. It can't be that small!

Steve

[ January 16, 2007, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

you can use pausing, and i think we-go system is still present, so what's the problem?

if someone wants to play realitic and not having a whole day to decide what to do in 1 min real-time, he can play this way; and if you want to play it like chess (w/o counter tongue.gif ) you can.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

6. Stryker's gun has been able to rotate for about a year :D We did have some problems with target tracking (bug), but that was fixed. The reason why the guns are facing forward in these shots is because there are no targets to the sides and the player didn't opt to override the default position (i.e. straight ahead).

Ah, ok. Good to hear. smile.gif

9. Visual portrayal of weapon in the 2D UI is simply for identification purposes, not necessarily specific to the exact doodads and what not of what the guys are using. In general there is a 1:1 relationship. The little doodads don't have much of an effect on anything anyway. I remember a 101st Airborne LTC back from the initial year in Iraq said he was too old to be lugging around all that crap on his rifle. He said he used iron sights and in his opinion he didn't need anything more than that :D

Fair enough, but I wouldn't call the M203 a doodad. smile.gif Its a pretty important weapon, IMHO.

Originally posted by pad152:

Looking at the screen shots I see time remaining?

Timed Missions? Yuck, the only thing worst than timed missions are timed missions in an RTS game! :(

I really hope this is something the player can turn-off (optional) during the start of a battle!

How is it different fron seeing the number of turns left in a CMBO/BB/AK game? You're on turn 15 of a 20 turn game. Guess how many minutes are left in the mission? :rolleyes:

fytinghellfish,

Fair enough, but I wouldn't call the M203 a doodad. Its a pretty important weapon, IMHO.
Heh... yeah, I didn't mean that! The M203 model isn't in yet and it looks like Charles is using the wrong 2D icon. Certainly it should be there for 3rd Squad's A Team as pictured above.

As for timed missions... uhm, yeah. They have always been timed :D That doesn't mean you can't go into overtime. That's an option for sure.

Steve