New CMSF screenshots. Urban warfare

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Oh, and yes... all the graphics are getting a "dirt over".

This is good to hear. The current screenshots, though very pretty, don't look too real. Nice clean tarmach with perfectly painted yellow lines down the middle will look out of place in this setting. If the street markings are dirtied up a lot and maybe some rubbish textures like old newpapers or leaflets are put on them it might help to make the environment look more "used".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoolaman,

That is why I think in *some* ways the CMx1 terrain looks better.
I just can't undersand that. The jutting terrain you spoke about in the earlier games was so unrealistic that everybody would universally reject it if we put that sort of thing out again. I don't think people's suspension of disbelief would accept it because of those other FPS games. Clearly that is the conclusions we came to 4 years ago when we decided to scrap the CMx1 engine and start fresh.

No new shots for right now because nothing has been done graphically to show off. We've been hard at work doing game stuff. The biggest mistake game developers/publishers make is spending too much time all at once on graphics to please people months before the game is done, then they find out they burned through all their time and have to rush something in for people to actually play. Not us.

We pursue the Borad Front strategy, which means working on improving graphics one month and then doing something else the next month. It might be another month before we have anything really different to show you graphically.

Steve

Texture richness isnt so important in the initial release.Variety of objects(buildings!) and modability of them is important though.

I still remember how the excellent Mangua mod made CMBO looking like a normandy painting.

IMHO,there is no need for insane object detail. You can really fool the eye with the right color harmonies and get an overall aestheticaly pleasing sense.

Btw, ditches along the sides of a road must be a piece of cake for the CMx2 engine with the finer ground mesh.

[ February 01, 2007, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: panzermartin ]