Will the blast wave make a comeback?

I really do hope so, it really looked good on the high powered guns and large caliber expolsions. It might have been dropped on my list of things to add because it didnt really add to gameplay but boy it sure added to the experience, seeing 8inch shells howling in and creating those neat looking blast waves. Not to speak of the 14inch shells. OH BOY! Sure, it looked a bit naff on 2 inch shells, hand grenades and collapsing buildings but if its not too much bother put them back in for large calibre explosions and large calibre/high powered muzzle blasts!

Please?

Pretty please? :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for it!

Moreover, I do not agree that it does not serve a gameplay purpose: after all, the blast wave can be used to visualize the blast value, or the lethal radius and thus convey some information!

Maybe it should be restricted to an expanding ring of polygons, which is fading out at its top, rather than a whole semi-sphere, though!

Best regards,

Thomm

Hmmmm....

If I recall an ANCIENT response to this question, BFC (Matt in particular?) hated those blast waves and were happy to see them leave. Maybe as a compromise they can be reserved for really really BIG explosions... or instead really really LITTLE mortar rounds, which I have a hard time spotting.

Let's consider the shockwaves more as a tool for the player, than an eye-candy thingy. ShW are usefull to spot small caliber rounds like mortar, falling on the battlefield...

As in another thread, I mentionned the idea of a "toggle off/on" for the ShW. People who don't like it, or find it unrealistic can toggle it off. In an other hand, people who enjoy this feature, or have difficulty to locate a shelling might toggle it on.

...But be sure I'm ALL FOR IT TOO !!

Originally posted by Pzman:

Oh no, not the shockwave arugement again... if you cannot see the artillery going off, its time get glasses you old men.

Seesh. Stop being so rude to the elders tongue.gif . Shockwaves are cool. Irrelevant & unrealistic maybe, but cool.

I thought they were icky. But it won't kill my enjoyment of the game if they're back in. . .

Suggestion: If they're a aid for the less-then perfect vision types, why not tie them to view, or unit size? So in the higher view levels/larger-than-life unit size views, there are "explosion aids for the visually impaired", but at the lower view levels, they're not there, and so don't spoil the cinematic quality of the movies?

Originally posted by Tarkus:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pzman:

Oh no, not the shockwave arugement again... if you cannot see the artillery going off, its time get glasses you old men.

Seesh. Stop being so rude to the elders tongue.gif . Shockwaves are cool. Irrelevant & unrealistic maybe, but cool. </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Boy, I forgot all about those silly things :D No plan to put them in, but what they hey... I'll mention it to Charles.

Steve

Please do. I recall Charles programming an obscure AFV in CMBB while being silly on a substance. smile.gif

Need help on substance silliness?

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Co-creator & Sponsor of the following CM tournaments:

</font>

[ August 27, 2005, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Originally posted by gunnersman:

Well...they are going to have to model air that is high in moisture then... :D

During rain or fog? I wonder if dry, dusty terrain can produce shockwaves?

gunnersman's comment reminded me of a discussion about F/A-18 shockwaves in a Compu$erve forum many years ago , IIRC, a Vietnam Veteran pilot mentioned that you only saw shockwaves due to heavy moisture in the air. Perhaps we have seen too much Vietnam war footage?

Anyway, I say put it near the bottom of the list of neat things to add as an option (way after "speed of sound").

Cheers,

Gabe