Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Number one is good.

I'd perhaps argue with this as part of the number one spot write-up;

The only franchise that can hold a dimly lit candle to Mius Front in terms of tactical complexity is -arguably- Combat Mission. 

Meh.

And it seems they've not heard of Cold War.

16 hours ago, Vacillator said:

The only franchise that can hold a dimly lit candle to Mius Front in terms of tactical complexity is -arguably- Combat Mission. 

Meh.

And it seems they've not heard of Cold War.

I noticed both of those too.  The Cold War can be forgiven (if just barely) but hold a dimly lit candle!!!!  The outrage!  The humanity!  Mius Front is good, but Combat Mission is much better and deeper and at least a 100W bulb.  But that is just my humble, but correct, opinion. 😆

CM is #1 by far, but there's a lot of work that needs to be done to clean the games up. Even if youre moving on to cmx3... cmx2 is still perfectly fine and will continue to be played despite future releases. 

Too many stupid bugs in these games that havent been addressed. Some being easy TOE fixes and some being game-breaking like the gill bug. 

1 hour ago, Probus said:

at least a 100W bulb

I confess to only having played Kharkhov 1943 (a bit) which I assume was a predecessor for Mius Front.  While I did have some fun designing a few encounters, it made CM look like a searchlight not a candle. 

Or maybe Mius Front was a giant leap for mankind over Kharkhov 1943?  I see it is available at only £26.99 (yes, GBP) on the Valve emporium, is it worth a dabble?

So on the basis of this statement and the writer's overall rating, what is the rationale for rating Mius Front at #3 and CM on #1?     

It makes no sense  - a "dimly lit candle" should be the other way round, or else I conclude that the writer is the dimly lit candle!  

Edited by The Steppenwulf

50 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Or maybe Mius Front was a giant leap for mankind over Kharkhov 1943?  I see it is available at only £26.99 (yes, GBP) on the Valve emporium, is it worth a dabble?

I really liked several aspects of Mius Front.  The campaign game generator and the LoS tools are nice but it is a pause able RTS. I would pick it up again for that price.  But CMRT is arguably the better game. I'm a bit biased though. 

56 minutes ago, Artkin said:

The dutch atgm doesnt work when the launcher is a different height from the target. It neuters the capability of the dutch faction

Ah. Didn't know that.

Really strange armored brigade is #3 as it was one of the worst tactical games ive ever played. It was like playing eugene wargame in 2d. A shame because the maps were exceptional and concept was good.

Wite 2 is more deserving of a game. 

Was surprised to see "Decisive Campaigns -Ardennes" so highly rated.  I loved DC-Barbarossa" but "Ardennes I found to be almost unplayable due to the detail which makes it more complex than it's worth for its enjoyment factor.  However, "DC Ardennes" situations may provide good inspirations for CM level battles.

I have quite a few games from that list sitting on my computer. Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm is a top notch game and I agree with the reviewer, it is very well researched and implemented.

14 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

I have quite a few games from that list sitting on my computer. Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm is a top notch game and I agree with the reviewer, it is very well researched and implemented.

One of my favorites (and I'm a beta tester too). I have had Red Storm and Reforged for quite a while. Southern Storm is a big step forward. SOPs are such a major improvement. It's not a competitor to CM - the scale is larger. More of a grand-tactical than a down in the weeds tactical scale.

I'm also addicted to CMO. It must be because I spent 34 years designing and testing nuclear submarines. 🙂  That being said, the air war took (takes) me a LOT of learning. It's one of those simulations that you never stop learning how to play. Super complex, and the comment about the database being worth the asking price is spot on. 

Dave

21 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

One of my favorites (and I'm a beta tester too). I have had Red Storm and Reforged for quite a while. Southern Storm is a big step forward. SOPs are such a major improvement. It's not a competitor to CM - the scale is larger. More of a grand-tactical than a down in the weeds tactical scale.

I'm also addicted to CMO. It must be because I spent 34 years designing and testing nuclear submarines. 🙂  That being said, the air war took (takes) me a LOT of learning. It's one of those simulations that you never stop learning how to play. Super complex, and the comment about the database being worth the asking price is spot on. 

Dave

Flashpoint Campaigns is a VERY good game.  The only other thing I have is Field of Glory: Empires, the strategic side of Field of Glory.  But with really limited playing time I am mostly doing CM when I do play.  Stupid day job 🫤