Annual look at the year to come - 2023

3 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

I hope we see German forces before we see BOAR. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the BOAR as well, but a war within Germany should include German forces, especially as both German armies were quite substantial during that time.

I hear you!

Thing is, in the module I want both German sides AND the British. I would pay 50 bucks for that since CW has quickly become my favourite CM game but it just lacks variety and content. So the main reason why I hope for a release of all three factions at the same time is the mere fact that I don't want to wait another 2 years after the first module came out (which already might be 2 years away) just to see the British forces.

And I want more varied maps. Germany even in the central region does not consist only of little villages and green hills. (Scenarios like Rumpenheim Rumpus are notable exceptions.) Of course there are limits but heck, even the maps in Shock Force 2 are more varied than the maps in Cold War. I think the best way to combat the lack of IRL variety is to give us more seasons. Snow, trees without foliage etc.

6 hours ago, Flibby said:

I hope that this is taken in the spirit in which it is meant - CM may just need a reasonable competitor in order to push the series forward.

5 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

This mirrors my thoughts almost exactly. Problems in the game last for years without being addressed, both gameplay and technical, and nothing ever seems to move forward.

I wish Battlefront no harm, quite the opposite frankly. But we all saw what a driving force competition can be when AMD finally released competitive CPUs. I am no liberalist when it comes to economics but Jesus did we all prosper from that competition. Just the kick in the *** Intel needed so badly. This only translates roughly to the video game sector, especially the wargaming niche, but a recent example would be the release of Regiments and it seems to have exerted at least some pressure on the developers of Warno. At the end of the day, I can't say if Combat Mission can be rivaled in the foreseeable future. Despite its apparent dated-ness, CM still has a 25 year long headstart.

All that being said, I remembered a post from Reddit from last year. Apparently the guy is still working on it. And apparently the it's also a guy working from his garage, hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZi3x8VdKE

14 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

CMFI - new Battle Pack

Covering the Tunisian campaign? 😉

That said, I'm sorry the program isn't very exciting for WW2 afficionados; the long awaited CMFB Commonwealth module shouldn't add much which isn't already covered by CMFI or CMRT late modules...

11 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

What works on my laptop doesn't work on my desktop.

Have you downloaded and tried the free program OBS Studio? It's usually used for streaming but could possibly be useful for what you want to record and save on your computers. It could probably work on both your laptop and desktop. There are videos on YouTube about it to watch and learn.

Edited by BornGinger

34 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Maps can be done by the community as well. So that wish could even be granted without the work of Battlefront. :)

True...

But one thing that Battlefront could do is to improve the map editor...or the entire scenario editor for that matter.

That is something the community can't do...

1 hour ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Maps can be done by the community as well. So that wish could even be granted without the work of Battlefront. :)

The tool to make maps is painful to use. At the very least the format for combat mission maps should be open sourced so that someone could build a better tool. I saw the recent thread about a terrain mapper tool, but the way it has to work is pretty hilarious.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

The response we're seeing from many on this thread is why we don't get more bones threads. It's nothing new for those that remember the response to the very first CMBN screenshot with the Tiger Tank.

Expecting adoration for profoundly negative news is unrealistic. Besides, since no progress is made, new bones have no point.

9 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

The tool to make maps is painful to use. At the very least the format for combat mission maps should be open sourced so that someone could build a better tool. I saw the recent thread about a terrain mapper tool, but the way it has to work is pretty hilarious.

Not really, the tool is very simple and has few requirements. It makes no sense to somebody who doesn't touch code though. I had it working pretty quickly after a video tutorial was posted. The real downside is not being able to read German since the tool pulls elevation data from those sources.

I really hope Steve kept an eye open for that. A tool like that would probably significantly increase map creation considering most of the hard work is done for you right there. I am REALLY anticipating the next release which incorporates houses, walls, and roads. I really can't wait. I should head on over there and remind our resident expert how annoying I am right now.

Edited by Artkin

11 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Not really, the tool is very simple and has few requirements. It makes no sense to somebody who doesn't touch code though. I had it working pretty quickly after a video tutorial was posted. The real downside is not being able to read German since the tool pulls elevation data from those sources.

I really hope Steve kept an eye open for that. A tool like that would probably significantly increase map creation considering most of the hard work is done for you right there. I am REALLY anticipating the next release which incorporates houses, walls, and roads. I really can't wait. I should head on over there and remind our resident expert how annoying I am right now.

Sorry, maybe we are referencing different tools, but the one I saw had you open the map editor after loading a file and effectively automated your mouse to use the built in map editor to create a terrain map close to the file read? I'm not knocking the tool, I think that is a pretty innovative way to resolve the problem, but we shouldn't have to resort to that kind of hackery to make a map. If we had the map spec, 7 hours could be 7 seconds.

Just now, SgtHatred said:

Sorry, maybe we are referencing different tools, but the one I saw had you open the map editor after loading a file and effectively automated your mouse to use the built in map editor to create a terrain map close to the file read? I'm not knocking the tool, I think that is a pretty innovative way to resolve the problem, but we shouldn't have to resort to that kind of hackery to make a map. If we had the map spec, 7 hours could be 7 seconds.

Yes that's the tool in question. No wargame that I know of allows you to do this in the first place. Maybe armored brigade? But their way of doing maps is for crackheads and is unacceptably ghetto. It is what it is... and it's bad, so not a lot of maps were made for that game.

It would be great to have a fully functional 3d editor but that just isn't in the cards given our current situation. I imagine it would require an obscene amount of work.