Annual look at the year to come - 2023

I know fully well how to look for books on the internet. However, I think it is BF's responsibility to publish a more professional manual for its customers. My beef with MGs I should be able to do area fire (plunging and grazing fire). Now when you don't have LOS with a tile because of for example a wheatfield you get a No-LOS pop up. I look for a manual which shows how to do these common tactics. Happy gaming, this was just one example splitting squad inside a vehicle is another. There is a way around it but not up to us to advice other players how they should play the game. 

43 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

One last post before I voluntarily depart the CM forums.

OUT IN A BALL OF FIRE

1. "Piss in the cornflakes" is an expression I know to mean some type of accidental angering of someone. I respect Steve and if he wants me banned or whatever because of the above posts, ok, I accept it. I have tried to be a contributing member of this community. I admit I have an odd sense of humor and maybe I am risque. Steve didn't like my years ago Kate Upton scantily clad post. OK. I got the schwimmwagen and I thank whoever made that happen. 

2. "SAME GAME WITH A DIFFERENT NAME" I have made a post long ago and didn't get banned for saying it. I have no idea where it is. BASICALLY, THE GAMES ARE ALL THE SAME. I will only comment on the WW2 titles. A building is an Italian restaurant with some decor, menu, music and wait persons. Snap your fingers and it is Chinese restaurant. Snap again...it is Somali restaurant. Buy your game. Click on the icon and the game fires up to show you the splashscreen, hear the intro music, pick the forces, pick a scenario, hear the languages, see the uniforms, see the vehicles, the ranks, branches, portraits, fight the battle, see the results. Deep down it is all the same. I think Italians cannot break into teams. How different are the other sides? Team A, B and C. One game has the spreadsheet info and 3D model for a certain vehicle. Different weapon physics. Is it available in another game? Maybe. Maybe not. Copy and paste. 

3. "FAKE LOBSTER" I have done my 2 cents to change the game to amuse myself. Some are rough apples to apples. Some are not too shabby. I have only so much ability to stick my hand into the game. Me by myself or with a few other kind friends in a few weekends or months have done stuff that these pros couldn't seem to get to. Steve said without specifically mentioning me that he was glad that modders took the game where he wouldn't. Something like that. I feel that the CMX2 engine could have been milked better to BFC's profit venturing into other A versus B clones of the main game. Now it is getting aged and old I guess. This was when they went off to various nations to sell CM as a military training project I THINK. No longer any of my worry.

4. "CODING" I already said I only took Basic in college in 1982. Got a B? I salute Charles and have no clue what his super-brain does. I cannot ever criticize him but only wondered as an outsider if he was making the big bucks elsewhere. What have we had as dramatic changes since CMBN? I now understand that it takes him years to make these changes. Engine upgrades. OK.   

5. "STEVE SAID HE DOESN'T PLAY THE GAME ANYMORE" I think that was where I realized it was not a love of the game for him. He is a business man. Do what you gotta do. In his early 60's. Today mention quitting? Go ahead and quit. Attack me because I said go ahead and quit if that is best. Oh my gosh.

6. "GREAT GUYS I HAVE MET"   I am blessed to have worked or rubbed elbows with so many awesome folks. Inside BFC I have had so much gracious help from Ben Parks. Elvis is an awesome guy. I have tried to be a good helpful forumite and vector folks toward the helpdesk tickets. Hovering in the forums to answer questions if I could. Other awesome forumites are too numerous to mention. I have been a tiny battery among the dynamos. Thanks for the help, support and all that.

Best wishes to everybody! 

Wow.  Just wow.  I don't even know how to respond to this.  So much bizarre stuff all in one post.  I'm mean, where do you get your material?  Being told I'm in my mid 60s was quite funny.

Seriously though.  We make games.  You guys play them.  If you like them, you buy them.  If we don't do a good enough job then we go out of business.  If we stay in business then we must be doing something right.  Either that or there's a bunch of chumps out there giving us hard earned money for no sane reason.

For the record I was never pissed.  The trick to making wargames for wargamers is letting baseless, ill informed, yet emphatically stated criticism just roll off one's back.  It's really hard to get mad at someone who is, how shall I put this... passionate.

Steve

5 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

3 months to fix a corrupted file in an installer. I wouldn't brag about it

Er, who was bragging?  Someone said we don't fix bugs, I pointed out we do.  Simple correction.  We've put out quite a few other patches in the past year too.

No clue why it took so long for people to notice the file corruption.  We fixed it within a couple of days of it getting our attention.  And during Christmas break for most people.  Again, not bragging, just stating fact.

5 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

Meanwhile, it looks like Battlefront's plan is to hope that AMD goes back on part of their driver rewrite? It doesn't seem very likely. 16 months and counting there.

Rewriting our game engine to work around a bug that AMD insists on keeping in its driver is not an option.  So yes, we are hoping they fix their product so it doesn't break our game.

That said, coming up with a work around is on the list of Engine 5 wish list.

Steve

52 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

He actually said "early 60s", which I am. And you are definitely not. 

I still fondly remember the first time you met and you said you didn't recognize me because I didn't look "all used up" :)

And on that note, I'm locking up this thread because there's this one:

Steve