Combat Mission Red Thunder Battle Pack 1 pre-orders are now open

BFCElvis

On 11/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, BFCElvis said:

Thanks Elvis. 

Point of order - when the battle pack is installed a new brz is created in the game data folder - red thunder v212.brz - when this is rezexploded it opens to a folder called red thunder v213. This happens with both PC and Mac versions of the v212.brz.

Guess it doesn't matter too much but may want to correct it afore the next patch.

7 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

What I dont like from CM, is when vehicles seam to be to close from each others, they stop all the time to trying to avoid the vehicle ahead, when in fact a lot of place is in the front or on the side, I was making a test when two vehicles are crossing, they take a lot of time and place to avoid the others.

I hope a lot will change with the new engine.

Yup, they bits of need of a stand off range so the TacAi pathfinding preserves some movement and reaction options. A minimum of ~30m (3-4 AS´s) works usually unless the leading vehicle decides to stop or needs more time for turning and such. Here the TacAI can´t foresee nor predict what the trailing vehicles is about to do. They stubbornly follow their given movement orders which is some the main weaknesses of CM TacAI capabilities. Inflexibility and lack of coordination. Maybe it´s also decision making cycles which are too long, maybe due to game performance reasons. Who knows...

Edited by RockinHarry

14 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

I as well prefer my own mod set and placement techniques so it´s not thaaat much of ugliness.

dpkk7xG.jpg

kQlqT8c.jpg

eye level from farer way

2lGy4ak.jpg

same after some heavy Arty barrage

oeauHVy.jpg

That looks better indeed. In what way they are different, Harry? My morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet. What exactly did you do/change?

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

That looks better indeed. In what way they are different, Harry? My morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

still WIP but basically just sandbags made invisible (preserving the bits of offered direct fire cover if there´s much of it at all) and different texture (uniform dirt something). And placing these into -1m blue type ditch locked action spots so vs direct fire cover is somewhat better (if pixeltroopers drop to prone at least). Otherwise if something heavy is coming in (direct or indirect), you better move into those wooden shelters ASAP. CM "trenches" are death traps and hardly any better than lying in the open. Even shellholes are "better" cover than "foxholes" IMO and CM TacAI is well aware of that.

21 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

still WIP but basically just sandbags made invisible (preserving the bits of offered direct fire cover if there´s much of it at all) and different texture (uniform dirt something). And placing these into -1m blue type ditch locked action spots so vs direct fire cover is somewhat better (if pixeltroopers drop to prone at least). Otherwise if something heavy is coming in (direct or indirect), you better move into those wooden shelters ASAP. CM "trenches" are death traps and hardly any better than lying in the open. Even shellholes are "better" cover than "foxholes" IMO and CM TacAI is well aware of that.

Interesting, Harry. Would love to try your mod out, once it's finished. Yeah, sandbags. I don't think they were available most of the time and they look bloody awful.

18 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Interesting, Harry. Would love to try your mod out, once it's finished. Yeah, sandbags. I don't think they were available most of the time and they look bloody awful.

you can get rid of them (texture, not geometry) by using this little file already. Everything else is just map placement techniques (ditch locks). Can use with your prefered trench mod (Juju, Aris or Umlaut´s maybe) but make sure my sandbags texture mod gets loaded after. Have fun. 😎

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjiy5n9j6xu5u5g/sandbags.rar?dl=0

55 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

you can get rid of them (texture, not geometry) by using this little file already. Everything else is just map placement techniques (ditch locks). Can use with your prefered trench mod (Juju, Aris or Umlaut´s maybe) but make sure my sandbags texture mod gets loaded after. Have fun. 😎

Thank you, Harry. Going to take a look!

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Yes, that does look better, Harry. Perhaps removing the wooden structure would also be possible? Not meant as a request, just thinking aloud. 

Just now, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

All installed and been through the first SPW lesson, wiped the floor with em. Quick question @George MC, of the new campaigns is it best to start with one over the other (a la the CW campaigns) or is it a free for all?

MMM

Excellent :)

The two campaigns are very different and no need to do one prior to other. So aye free for all re campaign order. The Tigers one will be a quicker through and through. Five Days would be a larger time involvement. 

Cheery!

7 minutes ago, George MC said:

Excellent :)

The two campaigns are very different and no need to do one prior to other. So aye free for all re campaign order. The Tigers one will be a quicker through and through. Five Days would be a larger time involvement. 

Cheery!

Great stuff, thanks. Now to find the time...

MMM

@George MC

It seems I am a bit late to the party, having just now accidentally stumbled onto the new battle pack that you've created.  It looks great and I'm very excited to be exploring more of your fantastic work.  I was spending way too much time trying to keep up with the "Ukraine How Hot Will It Get thread," and missed this release.     :wacko:

Thanks so much for putting this out.  The correct use of halftracks is often more of an art form than anything else, and your directions and suggestions are most welcome. 

I think I loaded the mods right.  Have the crusher officer caps all been replaced by the M43 cap?  I left a number of mod folders under the main file Viking Mods GMc Mix folder.  Was that okay or should I have moved them out from under that main folder? I'm never completely sure how to set up the mods in the Z folder.

Again, many thanks for all these new scenarios and the additional campaigns.  This is great!  B)

Gary

8 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

@George MC

It seems I am a bit late to the party, having just now accidentally stumbled onto the new battle pack that you've created.  It looks great and I'm very excited to be exploring more of your fantastic work.  I was spending way too much time trying to keep up with the "Ukraine How Hot Will It Get thread," and missed this release.     :wacko:

Thanks so much for putting this out.  The correct use of halftracks is often more of an art form than anything else, and your directions and suggestions are most welcome. 

I think I loaded the mods right.  Have the crusher officer caps all been replaced by the M43 cap?  I left a number of mod folders under the main file Viking Mods GMc Mix folder.  Was that okay or should I have moved them out from under that main folder? I'm never completely sure how to set up the mods in the Z folder.

Again, many thanks for all these new scenarios and the additional campaigns.  This is great!  B)

Gary

Nae worries mate :)

Re mods - I create a Z folder in the 'data' folder in the main game directory (default is C drive) and plonk em in there. Yes the mod changes all crushers to M43 caps. No either or I'm afraid.

Cheery!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 1:05 AM, George MC said:

The campaigns are not playable as the Soviets due to the makeup and strength of the German units at the time. That and creating AI plans for multiple sides. 

All of the scenarios are playable as Soviets vs Germans. Several are specifically designed to be playable that way. 

I understand.  Thanks for the info!

George MC, yer killin' me!  I am playing Rakow and have multiple 1000-1300m duels w soviet T34-85s.  And they keep spotting first, shooting first, and hitting first against my opened up pzIVs.  Did you put the instructors from the gunnery schools in these tanks?   I thought once spotted I'd have target practice on these bums.  But my 75mm gun has trouble penetrated that big armored turret at that range and these russkies are good for a change!  Damn you George MC!  (totally kidding)

this battle is truly epic.  The terrain presents excellent feel for ost front 1944 tactical problems, and I love the long range tank fights.  But I am losing lots of pz4s.  Lots.  I disabled one RU tank's weapon, but that's it.

All that smoke is from my advance team vehicles.  And that's just the ones that burned.  Fortunately I have a big force and now know what terrain is safe so can advance on my objectives. 

I had leftover vacation so I am done w work for 2022!!!  Little did I know I'd immediately be sent into the hornet's nest. 

https://imgur.com/trn6xq7https://imgur.com/trn6xq7trn6xq7.png

oiHCwZ4.jpg

4 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

George MC, yer killin' me!  I am playing Rakow and have multiple 1000-1300m duels w soviet T34-85s.  And they keep spotting first, shooting first, and hitting first against my opened up pzIVs.  Did you put the instructors from the gunnery schools in these tanks?   I thought once spotted I'd have target practice on these bums.  But my 75mm gun has trouble penetrated that big armored turret at that range and these russkies are good for a change!  Damn you George MC!  (totally kidding)

this battle is truly epic.  The terrain presents excellent feel for ost front 1944 tactical problems, and I love the long range tank fights.  But I am losing lots of pz4s.  Lots.  I disabled one RU tank's weapon, but that's it.

All that smoke is from my advance team vehicles.  And that's just the ones that burned.  Fortunately I have a big force and now know what terrain is safe so can advance on my objectives. 

I had leftover vacation so I am done w work for 2022!!!  Little did I know I'd immediately be sent into the hornet's nest. 

oiHCwZ4.jpg

So looking forward to getting into this one too!

3 hours ago, danfrodo said:

oiHCwZ4.jpg

It's possible that German Units are Green vs Vet Ruskies, or the Ruskies have Intel of German Units ahead of time and reason for getting spotted quicker?

Edited by JoMac