How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

13 minutes ago, billbindc said:

It's a full court press at the moment.

Ok, so this is really starting to look like a strategic shaping op.  The Russians are clearly rattled.  Guess we are calling BS on the whole nuclear threshold line.

Edited by The_Capt

3 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

Ok, so this is really starting to look like a strategic shaping op.  The Russians are clearly rattled.  Guess we are calling BS on the whole nuclear threshold line.

For those who've not seen it yet, this weeks Perun video was all about escalation and Russia's 'red lines'.  A lot of theoretical discussion, but he notes the same thing that I think has been said here: Russia produces a lot of noise about how providing Ukraine with X is an unacceptable escalation that will provoke a severe response, but when X is provided, Russia generates a lot of bravado (about how X is actually worthless and has already been destroyed by Russia) as cover for essentially backing down, because the one thing Russia can't afford is to risk escalating to more active NATO involvement.

9 hours ago, chrisl said:

Wow - Scholz finally has some strong public words supporting Ukraine.  Germany has been quietly ramping up the actual materiel support, but Olaf must finally be feeling like he's his coalition behind him on this.

Finally! C'mon Olaf,  keep it going,  lad! Let it out and go with it!

Heard of his words last week but that's a great video. 

Edited by Kinophile

6 hours ago, hcrof said:

I imagine that UAV and ugv attacks over multiple nights could allow your own troops to rest while exhausting the enemy. If you automate it and combine with (drone spotted) shelling/AGL fire then life would become living hell for the troops in trenches

If you want to exhaust people, your standard engineering office tricks will suffice. For example build a “Cricket”: Battery, an led, and a speaker and a little circuit that gives you a random number. Then you use the led as your brightness sensor, and if it’s dark, randomly let off a loud sound, and then be quiet. More entertainment can be had by adding a motion sensor- only make noise when nobody is moving!

Drop a bunch of these over Russian trenches, assuming they haven’t blown out their ears completely.

2 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

All may be, but yesterday one Russian milblogger has written that one of officers of HQ of 19th motor-rifle division, defending salient, told him they destroyed "several Abramses and different Bradleys, which they even didn't count" %)

6 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

All may be, but yesterday one Russian milblogger has written that one of officers of HQ of 19th motor-rifle division, defending salient, told him they destroyed "several Abramses and different Bradleys, which they even didn't count" %)

****, Russians have a new ATGM that can reach all the way to USA. Abrams are not planned to arrive until autumn 😁

Statistic of intercepted aerial targets over Kyiv and closest suburbs for May. Alas, the picture is cut on the half and no Shakheds here, but from the text:

7 Kinzhals

13 Iskanders (here likley mistakingly were included at least 3 Iskader-K, which should be in cruise missiles)

65 cruise missiles Kh-101/555, Kalibr

169 Shakheds 

В КМВА порахували, що за травень над Києвом збили більше 250 цілей

Edited by Haiduk

26 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Sounds a bit like 1944 in Normandy when every German tank the Allies encountered was a Tiger.

7 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Night is a time of recons, SOF, snipers and R18 bombers - I posted enough videos how these heavy octocopters eliminate Russian equipment in night raids. During the battle for Bakhmut Wagners most of their decisive assaults conducted at the night even with a lack of NV devices, using terrain and sneaking. UKR Balalkiya offensive started also at the night. But night operations with mass of combined forces demand more higher level of control. So, night actions take place enough, but have own specific. And here I agree with Vet 0369 - soldiers have to rest and can't fight 24/7, if he not use drugs or "magic drink of Wagners". Ukranian soldiers drink many energetics like Burn or Red Bull, but even this is gradually exhausting the organism. And after two-three days without sleep or with two hours of sleep your combat capabilities significantly reduce.    

Talking re tiredness v.  effectiveness,  I've done many a five day,  14 hrs/d commercial shoot on 2-3 hrs sleep each night. When planning for it I always make certain my last two days are as simple as possible and if that's not possible then that as much of them is locked hard. Replanning the last two days on f-all sleep is a recipe for bad mistakes. I'll often get my 2nd AD to double check my work before I issue it, because of the "exhaustion blinkers". 

In Film/TV there's usually two crews, on two-week swap in/out, for the same reason -  physical and mental burnout. 

From what I understand, 5 says in the front line is absolute maximum for any infantry under prolonged and sustained assault.

Historically, a key factor in breakthroughs seems to be continuous and escalating pressure past certain time breaks for different scales of effects. 

Eg.

Past Day 5 for the very front lines, 

Past Week 2 for Brigade level failure. 

Past Month 2 for Divisional failure. 

Past Months 4-6 for permanent Operational changes. 

This isnt just spit balling (although there's plenty of hypothetical phlegm!) but based on prior timelines from this very war. 

So when we hear of the ZSU attacking somewhere we should wait to see if it lasts past 3-5 days. 

Then -  past a week, because that means the pressure is heading for a brigade level break point and spiralling effects upwards into the divisional level. 

Attack N of Bakhmut, attacks in Vuledar area.  Probably opportunistic using local forces, but we don't really know.  And allegedly attacks on Zaporizhe front?  On eve of DDay would be a nice touch.

And Prig now holding regular RU army soldiers hostage and RU having to negotiate their release???   Negotiate?  MOD now has to negotiate w Prig over hostages???  this is while UKR is attacking and making progress at multiple points in the front?  It just gets better & better.  Those betting against UKR in this are seeing the odds get more & more against them.  

Excellent post by Kinophile, just above here, on fatigue.  5 days?  Gonna be an interesting week.

53 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

This is Zaporizhe front?

I don't have my map handy. Here's what she said:

Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Paraskoviivka from 200-1600m

Ivanivske, Klishchiivka from 100-700m.

Addendum:

It is NW and SW of Bahkmut:

Edited by DesertFox

Not sure how reliable is this pro russian site but they claim (with footage) gunships intercepted multiple UA vehicles participating in the offensive. (But they look like idling in static columns and it's strange-edit: or hiding behind the treeline which makes more sense ) 

https://topwar.ru/218600-v-seti-pojavilis-kadry-unichtozhenija-voennoj-tehniki-vsu-rossijskimi-vertoletami.html

Edited by panzermartin

https://abcnews.go.com/International/ukrainian-counteroffensive-shaping-amid-series-meant-destabilize-russian/story?id=99789793

SLOVYANSK, Ukraine -- Well-trained, well-equipped Ukrainian combat forces are now in "assembly areas," close enough to front line areas, meaning they could launch a concerted attack on Russian positions in a relatively short time period, according to Western officials.

Okay .. 

It's unclear whether fresh offensive actions by the Ukrainian military will evolve into larger assaults on wider areas of the Russian front lines or whether they are more localized -- or even diversionary operations -- aimed at testing and wearing down the Russian defenses in preparation for a more substantial offensive later on.

Major media just speculating. If the UA can keep ABC guessing, then the RA should be no problem. 

2 hours ago, kimbosbread said:

If you want to exhaust people, your standard engineering office tricks will suffice. For example build a “Cricket”: Battery, an led, and a speaker and a little circuit that gives you a random number. Then you use the led as your brightness sensor, and if it’s dark, randomly let off a loud sound, and then be quiet. More entertainment can be had by adding a motion sensor- only make noise when nobody is moving!

Drop a bunch of these over Russian trenches, assuming they haven’t blown out their ears completely.

For more even more excitement, have it transmit random bursts of "encoded" radio traffic.  then sit back and watch as they attempt to identify and neutralize the special forces that have infiltrated their positions :)