How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

22 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

I'm only on page 12 right now but I doubt I'll see anything to refute any of this.

LOL well you have 265 pages to go and not to blow the ending for ya, but almost everything you said is wrong.  But keep reading lots of good stuff in there.

28 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:
  • It really comes down to, how long does Russia want to keep this up, when they do call a stop, and what are going to be their terms for a ceasefire?

I'm only on page 12 right now but I doubt I'll see anything to refute any of this.

Then you should read more pages which will show you how:

In 3 weeks russians lost half of the troops they lost in 1.5 years in the first war in Chechnya which they lost.

In 3 weeks they lost 4 major generals and dozens of other officers.

They are now pulling their occupation forces from Syria, Azerbaijan and Georgia because they run out of combat-ready units

Their troops thus far have abandoned over 500 vehicles incl. most modern and very expensive command stuff that costs 8 figures.

In a week they haven't gained a single meter of ground, but are now losing positions.

Heck, they are now pulling troops from Kurils.

Ukraine is not even really using reserves yet.

So does that look like an "operational pause" to you?

Edited by kraze

Servicemen of State Emergency Service of Mariupol. They continue to resque people and exringuish burning buildings under enemy fire with lack of technic - most of their equipment destroyed.  

Зображення

Situation in Mariupol got worth - half of the city (to be precise, it remanis) is under enemy control. Except Russian and DPR troops (9th motor-rifla regiment) in city assult involved many DNR conscripts and Kadyrov's special police. For this day Azov reported about 4 enemy tanks and 2 BTRs destroyed, also enemy lost up to the company of infantry. Other units, defending Mariupol also inflict losses to Russians. 

Edited by Haiduk

1 minute ago, Haiduk said:

Servicemen of State Emergency Service of Mariupol. They continue to resque people and exringuish burning buildings under enemy fire with lack of technic - most of their equipment destroyed.  

Зображення

These are Australian firefighters.

11 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Why on earth are you dragging up posts from near the end of last month, especially when it looks like you're just trying to poke someone in the face and say "haha, I told you so!" Skip to about page 270 and join the rest of us in the current time.

Did you not see the entire rest of my post, or are you just casting shade because you want to wag your finger at me?

6 minutes ago, sburke said:

LOL well you have 265 pages to go and not to blow the ending for ya, but almost everything you said is wrong.  But keep reading lots of good stuff in there.

So...
The Russian advance has been stopped, Ukraine retains control of it's airspace, the Russian navy has been kicked out of the Black Sea, and both the USA and EU have announced a military intervention of some type, or are you just making a joke?
Oh you're just making a joke. Ha ha.

Russian losses seem catastrophic to me. And Russian army seems completely inept in war fighting, and I can't see that changing soon. Supply lines must surely be highly vulnerable, and getting repeatedly hammered. Even their artillery seems vulnerable to artillery/drone attacks. Air losses (plus losses on the ground - the Kherson airport strike alone was massive - and surely massively avoidable if they had dispersed the helicopters at least). I cannot imagine them lasting another week at this rate.

Realistically I can only see Russia attempting to complete capture of Mariupol, and calling an end to the war as soon as possible, with retention of southern Ukraine territory. I would expect any reinforcements to be sent there. 

We are also presumably looking at a generation free from Russian land attack? How long will it take to rebuild/retrain/transform Russian military? 

14 minutes ago, sburke said:

While the poll may be valid, giving Moscow credit for almost all wars in the last 30 years... nah.  Humans will find a reason to shoot at each other, they don't need Moscow for that.

Ugh:

1992 Moldova

1992 Azerbaijan

1993 Georgia

1994 Chechnya

1999 Chechnya again

(Bonus: 1999 coup in Armenia when russian specops murdered the government)

2008 Georgia

2011 Syria

2014- Ukraine

2022 Kazakhstan

Not to mention actively supporting multiple wars in Africa with troops.

Seriously, they have no competition in bringing suffering to the world.

3 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

So...
The Russian advance has been stopped, Ukraine retains control of it's airspace, the Russian navy has been kicked out of the Black Sea, and both the USA and EU have announced a military intervention of some type, or are you just making a joke?

obstinate?  Russian advance has been stopped for all intents.  You do recall Putin was planning on being in Kiev in 3 days right?  Almost everyone including the doomsayers agree to that.  Russia does not have uncontested control of UKR airspace (which is the real barometer, no one ever expected UKR to have air superiority so that is pretty much a red herring), the Russian Navy is cruising back and forth doing nothing and the West is supplying a ton of military hardware with which UKR is defeating the Russian army so please go read the other 265 pages. 

From your post it would seem you think Russia is winning this war.  Maybe I am just reading into it, but that seems to be the crux.  Please correct me if you feel I am mistaking your view. 

Just now, kraze said:

Ugh:

1992 Moldova

1992 Azerbaijan

1993 Georgia

1994 Chechnya

1999 Chechnya again

(Bonus: 1999 coup in Armenia when russian specops murdered the government)

2008 Georgia

2011 Syria

2014- Ukraine

2022 Kazakhstan

Not to mention actively supporting multiple wars in Africa with troops.

Seriously, they have no competition in bringing suffering to the world.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there have been a WHOLE lot more wars than that in the last 30 years.  😔

A week seems early. There's still units he can feed into the tractor-powered buzzsaw.

Just so long as UKR stay focussed on hitting logistics and C&C. If they get distracted by shiny tactical successes they'll give Ivan time to rebuild both and then come back harder.

Russian isn't done yet, nope.

8 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

Okay.

DraftUkraineCoTMarch16,2022.png

This thread has tons of proof of why such map has no connection with reality.

Especially in the north where they get ambushed daily non-stop and run back and forth in pockets like headless chicken.

Thinking that if a russian tank drove 200km somewhere - everything must be painted red behind it - is proven wrong daily.

58 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

🤣 I do wonder what universe some people live in

You wanna back that up with some expertise or are we just gonna sling stuff here?

Ukraine cannot stop all of the Russian advances. They have had success with local counterattacks, and have stopped some advances temporarily, but Russian forces continue to advance in other areas.

This has been one helluva "temporary".  Those maps have not moved in coming up on two weeks. Why don't you go back a few pages and read my post on what an operational pause actually is (or is not) and then come back.

The Russian is used to operating this way

As demonstrated by the dozens of abandoned vehicles, you know easy to replace stuff.

Ukraine cannot control it's airspace. The Russians have taken losses, but they remain free to operate combat aircraft and helicopters over most of the country.

True, at least not entirely; however, the Russian's can't either.  This has led to an air parity situation.  Russians can and have been using air power but it is limited and has not been effective in interdicting western support or internal Ukrainina logistics.

The Russian Navy has free access to the Black Sea, which means they can conduct fire support and amphibious operations anywhere they want to at any time.

I would love to see the Russians try an amphibious operation.  So far easy stuff like heliborne and basic mechanized has eluded them completely, so why not go for an amphibious landing to round out the experience.  Based on what I have seen they will die on the beach, if they can even make it that far.

The United States will do nothing but levy sanctions.

Europe will do nothing more than levy sanctions.

They already have.  The US just announced $800 million of lethal aid, is that just window dressing?  You can google the aid coming in from Europe

Ah, now I get it.  You are that guy, one in every bar.

Edited by The_Capt

3 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

A week seems early. There's still units he can feed into the tractor-powered buzzsaw.

Just so long as UKR stay focussed on hitting logistics and C&C. If they get distracted by shiny tactical successes they'll give Ivan time to rebuild both and then come back harder.

no but Putin is really scraping the barrel.

1 those troops won't be very effective.  hell their morale probably already sucks cause they KNOW they wouldn't be being sent there unless things were really going bad.

2 It is just more long term damage to Russia.  Putin is writing checks he can't cash.

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I'm just catching up on the thread, but I have to say that is exactly the way it looked to me as well.  Maybe someone was trying for  meme.  I dunno, like "hey, don't target me!"?

Steve

That twitter link has a video of a vehicle with the same marking minus the black paint in the center. It's a real symbol.

18 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

So...

Those things would've mattered in WW2 era - but this isn't WW2 era.

Russians controlled 100% of Afghanistan. On maps.

In reality Afghanistan offed USSR.

Who cares if russian fleet is in Black Sea when it's doing nothing, while hundreds of russians get killed daily?

Who cares if russians are 10km away from Kyiv when staying 10km away from Kyiv costs them thousands in deaths?

They lost 20% of their whole invasion force in 3 weeks and for what? Taking Kherson?

If they keep "advancing" like that - in 2 months they won't have any army to fight with without full mobilization of their country.

15 minutes ago, sburke said:

no but Putin is really scraping the barrel.

1 those troops won't be very effective.  hell their morale probably already sucks cause they KNOW they wouldn't be being sent there unless things were really going bad.

2 It is just more long term damage to Russia.  Putin is writing checks he can't cash.

Oh I agree with you on those points, fully.

Still, there's a lot in-theatre right now, so a week for it all to got tits-up seems optimistic.

@kraze and not just only got Kherson by there are indicators they might be on the verge of abandoning it - as noted by @Haiduk, UKR forces are now halfway between Mykolaiv and Kherson...

Edited by Kinophile

15 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Almost a week ago Western intel (US probably, I forget) said that 100% of the Russian forces arrayed against Ukraine at the start of the war have been committed into battle.  They have also been dragging units out of all corners of the Russian Federation and are actively recruiting Syrians.  Saw a note today that Kadyrov pledged another 1000 to the fight.

So, on the one hand you are correct that they have more units to feed into the buzzsaw, but not of their original invasion force.  And now they are scraping the bottom of the barrel, so I think that there's not too much left to feed into the battle that isn't already there.

Yeah, this is the big dilemma for Ukraine.  If they keep doing what they are doing they've pretty much got the war cinched.  But every day Russia slaughters more civilians and blows up more infrastructure.  The incentive to hurry up Russia's demise is going to be tough to keep in check.

As an offensive force, they are done.  As a reactive force, they're close to being done.  As a defensive force they still have some play left in that.  However, I have a feeling that once their ability to react is firmly crushed their will to fight a defensive war will evaporate.

After all, if they aren't moving forward they aren't able to loot new places.

Steve