Professional.

Again.

Mortar fire on my front right, some rounds behind me. Casualties: 4; 3 cpl and 1 gunner. (Veteran and hiding, some people think the important thing is the lice in the elephant).

From various threads, things like badge of honour, something about mouth and money, wish list, professional...

I am not going to do hundreds of test -some people have been doing that and CM has to be certainly proud after proving that the BAR is more effective than a LMG-42, which only 
uses 50 rounds drums- if only because there is a better way: Show me the code!

When -rhetorical question- are we going to be able to mod that code? The NSA is using the same code, that's why you cannot share it? Is it a badge of honour that we will never
be able to modify... that?

You say...
-because you proudly announced that you have fixed that of people running away towards those firing at them... and you haven't-
you say that you calculate every single bullet, what's the point of one rifle bullet at some target 400m away when you keep the LMG behind so it cannot fire?, what's the point of that
bullet when you have to roll a new die to see the tank you were looking at seconds ago?

Combat Mission Professional...

Professional?

Really?

It is not the bullet with your name written on it but the one with a "to whom it may concern" you should worry about. Military maxim.

That was REALLY hard to follow. I'm reading your complaints and wonder if you've actually played the product. I genuinely don't understand what you're talking about.

Combat Mission Professional is not a general public product but a product for... industry and military usage. It was rather a surprise that a version of it found its way onto Youtube. You will never see Combat Mission Professional unless you've somehow found your way into 'UK Fight Club'.

Why would you have any expectations that you would be allowed to monkey with the game code?

CM is a game.

You can mod CMP, at least in part.

"Why would you have any expectations that you would be allowed to monkey with the game code?"

Sorry, I thought it was clear: to improve the game.

Is it so incomprehensible to want the LMG42 using a box instead of a drum?

Tracers work both ways. Military maxim.

I understood the jist of what was being said, and yes, we should be allowed to modify files.

It's a slap in the face when customers are told that they are preferred over the military. Then, the next year there are features put into CM:P that we have been asking about for years. Behind our backs! Then staff said well I dont know anything about that when it surfaced! haha lol! idiots!

How hard is it to be truthful and straightforward with people you personally do business with?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Artkin

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

I understood the jist of what was being said, and yes, we should be allowed to modify files.

It's a slap in the face when customers are told that they are preferred over the military. Then, the next year there are features put into CM:P that we have been asking about for years. Behind our backs! Then staff said well I dont know anything about that when it surfaced! haha lol! idiots!

How hard is it to be truthful and straightforward with people you personally do business with?

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you're on about, mate. 

But the 1 thing that I did understand in the original post and yours is the desire to modify weapons. As had been said before, that will never happen with the commercial versions of Combat Mission. This has been our position for 22 years and I don't see any reason to change it now. Some companies may be interested in making games where weapons and vehicle attributes can be change but we aren't one of them. That said, the military being able to change things would seem to be a mandatory feature because they are testing things that may be made in the real world.

I think one of the things the original poster was trying to say was that he felt the LMG-42 is not modeled correctly ? If that's the case put together some information that people can look at and test a maybe a change will be made to that weapon. It wouldn't be the first time that something has been changed with how something is modeled.

Sigh...

Look, we've had this discussion about modding game mechanics a billion times before.  We will never allow players to do it because it undermines the integrity of the system, introduces headaches we have to deal with, and splits up the community.  The latter isn't a problem when a community has a couple million players, but that isn't the case with us.  If it was, we would have retired by now :)

If there's something empirically wrong, REALLY wrong, with something in the game then we should fix it.  That way everybody gets a vetted change that isn't one guy's opinion.  That's the way it's been since 1999, it's the way it is now, and it's the way it will always be.  Imperfect?  Sure, but compared to the chaos that would come about from end user "solutions" it's vastly superior.

Professional customers need the ability to change things for various reasons that are above my pay grade.  What they do with the game doesn't affect anybody else and if there's a problem there's only one person POLITELY AND RATIONALLY making requests of our time.

I'll also nix the idea that Pro customers can change whatever they want.  They absolutely can not.  There is a limited list of things based on what they paid us to add.  For example, there is no variable to change a belt fed MG's ammo supply type, the way the TacAI behaves, or thousands of other things.  Adding support to monkey with game mechanics ranges from easy to impossible, so imaginations should not be running wild.

Steve

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Professional customers need the ability to change things for various reasons that are above my pay grade. What they do with the game doesn't affect anybody else

What do commercial users do with the CM games that affects other commercial users?

Edited by Grey_Fox

3 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

The first example I can think of off the top of my head would be changing the characteristics of a weapon. Rate of fire for instance. Or ammo loadouts. 

That affects the local user, not other users. If you imply that it could be an issue for multiplayer games, where one person gives themselves an advantage by modifying local files, that's been a solved problem in games for decades now. 

Edited by Grey_Fox

The Forum is full of information and you take no action, just 2 examples:

- somebody uploaded the Unit of Fire for German and Russian artillery; your numbers came out of a hat but we cannot change them.

- there is a link to the Ammo Load of squads -and how is loaded; what do you need, a warrant?

We are talking about TO&E, about documents. You sell a new game but you correct nothing, hopefully you understand the frustration and that that "maybe" is not helping.

Yes, you have altered more than a few things in 22 years and not always for the better; this is an opinion, documents are not.

UGCW is not easy to mod but somebody got the code and it has been done.

RTW is easy to mod, one of them is RTR, Rome Total Realism.

Games crash, we know that, modders know that.

A lorry behaving like a combat unit is empirically wrong? -and I never mentioned modifying the AI, something you can do in some games.

Is there a variable for when a MG is reloading, is it random?

In my own, private, very humble, personal opinion we can improve the game. Your policy is: No.

If we don't complain are you going to modify anything at all?

What was possible, difficult or impossible; the last, he left to the enemy. Baron de Comeau about N.

59 minutes ago, semmes said:

The Forum is full of information and you take no action, just 2 examples:

- somebody uploaded the Unit of Fire for German and Russian artillery; your numbers came out of a hat but we cannot change them.

- there is a link to the Ammo Load of squads -and how is loaded; what do you need, a warrant?

We are talking about TO&E, about documents. You sell a new game but you correct nothing, hopefully you understand the frustration and that that "maybe" is not helping.

Yes, you have altered more than a few things in 22 years and not always for the better; this is an opinion, documents are not.

UGCW is not easy to mod but somebody got the code and it has been done.

RTW is easy to mod, one of them is RTR, Rome Total Realism.

Games crash, we know that, modders know that.

A lorry behaving like a combat unit is empirically wrong? -and I never mentioned modifying the AI, something you can do in some games.

Is there a variable for when a MG is reloading, is it random?

In my own, private, very humble, personal opinion we can improve the game. Your policy is: No.

If we don't complain are you going to modify anything at all?

So many words, but so few facts stated. 

23 hours ago, semmes said:

I am not going to do hundreds of test -some people have been doing that and CM has to be certainly proud after proving that the BAR is more effective than a LMG-42

Where are you getting that from? @Drifter Man did some tests a few years back that suggest the opposite.

Go to camera position 1 and you will see that the MG42 for example is reloaded in a totally realistic manner. MP44 vs the Sten. The bullet of the MP 44 is more powerful and has a more messy wound channel. Being hit by a 9mm is not a pleasant experience either but a surgeon will be more successful possibly. No discernable difference could very well be right.

Edited by chuckdyke

4 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

That affects the local user, not other users.

Not true.  People spread things around, they complain when they break, they blame us when something doesn't work as they expect, and when requesting tech support fail to mention that they are using Mods.  I know this for a fact because this is what happens with the stuff we do allow you to mod (graphics, sounds, etc.

It also splits the community up based on what Mods are/aren't used.  It's even worse for multiplayer because people now have to agree what to play with to start.  If someone insists on playing with a particular Mod, and someone refuses to play with it, then there's problems there.

On top of that, modding is largely unnecessary because CM is (for the most part) a fact based game.  Screwing around with facts to bend something into doing something different is almost always going to have negative knock-on effects.  So why allow you guys to mess around with stuff that is not in need of messing around with in the first place?  As for game variables, there's almost nothing to mess around with because results are complicated products of very intricate equation.  Even Charles, who wrote all the code, hesitates to tweak variables because of this.  Allowing you guys to muck around with stuff that you haven't a clue about is not good for anybody.

4 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

If you imply that it could be an issue for multiplayer games, where one person gives themselves an advantage by modifying local files, that's been a solved problem in games for decades now. 

Nope, not concerned about multiplayer.  Very easily worked around if we wanted to allow game behavior modding.  But we don't, so it's moot.

3 hours ago, semmes said:

As the guy that has spent probably 1-2 years of my life "correcting nothing" on top of more years of creating everything to start with, I think you and I are done here.

Steve

A not-uncommon reaction when FPS players first try CM is to assume something's wrong with the game. Because shooter game stratagems don't often work. I compare it to first learning to parallel park. Your initial reaction is 'This is an impossible task!' Then you wonder if there is something mechanically wrong with the car. But soon enough you've mastered the art of parallel parking and can do it with the best of 'em. This appears to be the most common source of 'The game is fundamentally flawed' posts. You're still learning to parallel park.

About the LMG... I was talking about "effective", kills per round.

Steve...
 - you mention   "correcting nothing"...
 - but not           "Yes, you have altered more than a few things in 22 years..."
yes, you are done.

You are not going to change the policy. Yes, we are done here.

Only movement brings victory. E. von Manstein (probably).

On 10/14/2021 at 12:58 AM, semmes said:

It is not the bullet with your name written on it but the one with a "to whom it may concern" you should worry about. Military maxim.

“A nod’s as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?”

See the source image

18 hours ago, semmes said:

Tracers work both ways. Military maxim.

“Is your wife a…’goer’… eh? Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Nudge nudge! Know what I mean? Say no more…Know what I mean?”

R.b0fb7882ad5163c42bf0797fc83dfe00?rik=o

11 hours ago, semmes said:

What was possible, difficult or impossible; the last, he left to the enemy. Baron de Comeau about N.

“You don’t frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called ‘Arthur King,’ you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.”

R.5deebb0d66f624c56c72325638f721d8?rik=P

3 hours ago, semmes said:

Only movement brings victory. E. von Manstein (probably).

“Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great. If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate.”

See the source image

8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Not true.  People spread things around, they complain when they break, they blame us when something doesn't work as they expect, and when requesting tech support fail to mention that they are using Mods.  I know this for a fact because this is what happens with the stuff we do allow you to mod (graphics, sounds, etc.

It also splits the community up based on what Mods are/aren't used.  It's even worse for multiplayer because people now have to agree what to play with to start.  If someone insists on playing with a particular Mod, and someone refuses to play with it, then there's problems there.

On top of that, modding is largely unnecessary because CM is (for the most part) a fact based game.  Screwing around with facts to bend something into doing something different is almost always going to have negative knock-on effects.  So why allow you guys to mess around with stuff that is not in need of messing around with in the first place?  As for game variables, there's almost nothing to mess around with because results are complicated products of very intricate equation.  Even Charles, who wrote all the code, hesitates to tweak variables because of this.  Allowing you guys to muck around with stuff that you haven't a clue about is not good for anybody.

Nope, not concerned about multiplayer.  Very easily worked around if we wanted to allow game behavior modding.  But we don't, so it's moot.

As the guy that has spent probably 1-2 years of my life "correcting nothing" on top of more years of creating everything to start with, I think you and I are done here.

Steve

Roasted. Toasted. Served. 
*mic drop*