Rebels on Odessa

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Gorgeous. 

Thanks, Erwin

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Must have been a huge amount of work. 

A fair amount, yes 😎

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Would this be a "Master Map" or a "Quick Battle Map"?

There are no AI plans included...so while it may be a bit on the small side (atleast yet) to qualify as a MASTER map...its atleast a ( )map..😉

@Glubokii Boy - finally, someone who knows how to use Flavour Objects properly.  Really good work on the placement of your bins, park benches etc.  One of the biggest problems I see with maps is people just throw Flavour Objects randomly around the place and it just looks sh1t - my favourite is placing them right outside doors so that anybody walking out of the door trips over.  I repeat my earlier comment - this is bloody good work based on the images you've posted.

Thanks, Combatintman

With regards to flavoured objects i have found that the new 'clone' tool is a really nice feature...It may not seem like that big of a deal at first but it is actually really nice and helps with getting some flavoured objects onto the map....

18 hours ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Hello...I have finished the map...I will provide a link down below if anyone would like to download it and use it in their own scenarios or in H2H games...

The map in the editor

That looks exceptional!

I've downloaded and will let you know how I get on with it :)

Thanks, umlaut 😎

I have just recently got back into playing CM after a some time away and i have not yet installed any terrain or building mods on this, my new, computer yet.

I only have the vehicle- and Jujus UI mod downloaded so far but i will for sure be downloading the mods you mentioned above as well as any other terrain, building mod that i used to have installed previously. 

I do remember the high quality of your mods and they may indeed be useful for use on this or any future maps...I do have some plans to try and expand this map and if i do i will for sure have a look at including some nice mods...

Again, thanks for the tip 👍

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Gary R Lukas said:

I am truly at a loss for words after seeing what u created, it's a 10 out of 10, Awesome Job.

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just discovered this.....Wow!  B)

Thanks guys...

I have been meaning to try and put a scenario together for this map but RL has gotten in the way...With the summer over i will ones again have some spair time so i will try to get this done...In the meantime...please feel free to play around with the map as you chose...

3 hours ago, Glubokii Boy said:

I have been meaning to try and put a scenario together for this map but...

Maybe you could invite one of those who record their H2H battles and upload them to YouTube for a battle on this map so those of us that don't have Red Thunder can get a proper view of your map? The saying that goes "a picture says more than 1000 words" could maybe be championed by "a youtube video says more than 1000 pictures".

Edited by BornGinger

On 5/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, Glubokii Boy said:

tell me if your FPS performance is acceptable of if it is to demanding for your ,machine.

Also...What do you think about these kinds of buildings ? Do they provide some nice opportunities and tactical challenges.

Any feedback will be appreciated (good or bad), thanks...

I added a German pioneer company and a company of Tiger tanks.  For the Soviets I added a rifle battalion (-) and a company of IS-2 tanks.  I then started a game by double clicking on all German units and gave them a movement order to the east (Soviet) side of the map.  My FPS averaged about 17 with shadows off.  With shadows on the FPS went down as low as 9 for several seconds with every German unit on the move.  I really couldn't tell a difference how the graphics looked and the camera moved just fine.  My PC is about 5 years old:  i7-4790K, 4GHz, GTX970.  If it makes you happy to add to the map I vote you add to the map.  

The buildings are very well done and provide tactical challenges.  I was concerned there might be some door entry problems because of elevation changes but have not found any after about 15 minutes of play. 

Below are a few screenshots.  I'll add some more screenshots in the CMRT screenshot thread.  Very nice map. 

R9WCYKwh.jpg

Gfq1qQ4h.jpg

uA3Ot9Zh.jpg

KQNlioRh.jpg

Lktv6Uih.jpg

zWH7NQQh.jpg

MOS:96B2P, Many thanks for your feedback... Nice screenshots !

I have seen simular FPS values...My computer is fairly new but it is a pure 'budget machine' with fairly low specs...IMO the FPS is playable with shadows off but only barely...

Hopefully the average newish machine will see somewhat higher FPS values...

Do you considder the map playable with these numbers or do you find them to be a bit to low to be enjoyable ? 

I have done some more work on an expanded version of the map but i have not really commited to the project fully as of yet because of uncertanty of playability with regards to FPS...The map would benefit from increasing its size somewhat to allow for some more room for manuver and i would be happy to do it...If the map is considdered to be playable ...

1 hour ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Do you consider the map playable with these numbers or do you find them to be a bit to low to be enjoyable ? 

Very playable.  No problem at all.  Also I was testing so had every German unit (vehicles and infantry) moving at the same time.  There was also some shooting by both sides. 

I can see where it may take some time to load a turn that has a lot of action.  However (IMO) a slow load time just indicates a lot of cool stuff worthy of screenshots is about to happen.  If it encourages a few players to buy faster rigs then you did them a favor.  Everybody's happy......... :D

Check this one out.  Looking down from the second floor through a damaged wall.

Nsfmlqyh.jpg

Same tank, street level. 

xBkmZwSh.jpg

QaYD5Jwh.jpg

6 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Very playable.  No problem at all. 

Glad to hear it ! 

If it encourages a few players to buy faster rigs then you did them a favor.  Everybody's happy......... 

Except their wifes perhaps...The poor old guys having spent their vacation budget on a new machine...Hopefully i will not get attacked by a mob of furious women that found out where i live ...

Check this one out.  Looking down from the second floor through a damaged wall.

Same tank, street level. 

Those are some really nice screenshoots ! and i really like the one with the four Tigers moving past the car in your previous post...Some serious firepower approaching while under heavy fire...nice !

6 hours ago, Artkin said:

Upping the Ghz on your cpu will give you big improvements to your fps!

That is my goal...The current machine is just a stop gap for my next gaming machine...My goal with that machine is to be able to play DCS using the Reverb G2 VR-headset at full resolution...It will need to be quite some machine i fear...Some RL issiues have prevented me from spending that kind of money right now but things has been sorted...so soon ! ...

6 hours ago, Commanderski said:

I'm working on a scenario using this map. Lots of possibilities with this...

Nice ! 

11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I added a German pioneer company and a company of Tiger tanks.  For the Soviets I added a rifle battalion (-) and a company of IS-2 tanks.  I then started a game by double clicking on all German units and gave them a movement order to the east (Soviet) side of the map.  My FPS averaged about 17 with shadows off.  With shadows on the FPS went down as low as 9 for several seconds with every German unit on the move.  I really couldn't tell a difference how the graphics looked and the camera moved just fine.  My PC is about 5 years old:  i7-4790K, 4GHz, GTX970.  If it makes you happy to add to the map I vote you add to the map.  

The buildings are very well done and provide tactical challenges.  I was concerned there might be some door entry problems because of elevation changes but have not found any after about 15 minutes of play. 

Below are a few screenshots.  I'll add some more screenshots in the CMRT screenshot thread.  Very nice map. 

R9WCYKwh.jpg

Gfq1qQ4h.jpg

uA3Ot9Zh.jpg

KQNlioRh.jpg

Lktv6Uih.jpg

zWH7NQQh.jpg

👍

1 hour ago, Glubokii Boy said:

That is my goal...The current machine is just a stop gap for my next gaming machine...My goal with that machine is to be able to play DCS using the Reverb G2 VR-headset at full resolution...It will need to be quite some machine i fear...Some RL issiues have prevented me from spending that kind of money right now but things has been sorted...so soon ! ..

Jeez, I know VR has it's minor flaws. If you ever want an alternative, TrackIR works really well once you have it set up properly.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

Jeez, I know VR has it's minor flaws. If you ever want an alternative, TrackIR works really well once you have it set up properly.

Yes...On my previous gaming computer I have been using Track-IR for many years and it works very well...If VR was not a thing i would be fully satisfied to continue playing this way but needing to buy a new gaming machine i felt that a would take the plunch and go all in ! Bying a machine that will be able to handle also VR...

It looks really cool and most players seems to agree that it takes it to another level 🤩....

Playning some F-18 carrier ops and Apache strike missions in 4K VR would be ridiculesly cool i'm sure...and being Swedish...Some low level strikes with the Viggen offcourse 😊..

What i've been considdering is something like a 10900K, Nvidia 3090 combo...That seems to be able to handle things nicely...A machine like that is pricy but it is not utterly ridiculous...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello...

I've been doing some more work on this map to increase the size of it...Things are moving smoothely forward and my goal is to have this map finnished

in time for christmas for anyone who would like to try it out....

The map has pretty much doubled in size...Giving some more room for manuever around the city...What i have left to do is to finish the south east part of the town, complete the increased factory district and make some final toughes to a customly made costal battery fortress located on a hill to the far south east of the map...

Some WIP pics of some of the new areas...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u8.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u7.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u6.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u5.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u4.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u3.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u2.bmp

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/u1.bmp

The coastal battary fortress (as it currently looks)...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/UF.bmp

A pic from the editor...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/glubokiiboy/UE.bmp

The size of this new map will be about 1600 X 1300 meters...

When the map is finished i will try to make a small campaign on it...Sort of a static campaign using only this map...

The player will be the commanding a company sized force supported by some additional battalion/regiment assets...

Each mission will have rather specific objectives that needs to be completed and the player will be able to 'tailor' his company to some degree by

requesting additional support assets from its organic battalion/regiment...These things might be engineers, assultguns, additional AT weapons ect, etc...

Comanding only a single company the goal of the player will obviously not be to conquer the entire city by him self but rather fighting in other parts of the city will be

abstarcted to simulate other friendly forces in those areas...The player will be given an area of operations for each mission that will be his responsibility...The player will be allowed to move outside of his assigned area to some degree but it might prove costely to do so...The enemy will not be sleeping 😊...As for defence...The assigned area will be all that the player needs to care about.

In addition to the assigned support avaliable at mission start the player may also request reinforcements from the battlion reserves at any time during the missions if he feels he needs it...These reinforcements will not show up at ones at the player HQ bu will indeed need to move there from the battalion possitions....While doing so they may come under fire from the enemy and not be able to reach its intended location.

That is the plan...Hopefully RL will not get in the way...I'm making no promises but i will give it a try to get a campaign like this finished...