Rebels on Odessa

Hello...

I've been wanting to make a very detailed rubbled city map for CM for quite some time and now and finally the project is moving forward. 😎

One features i wanted to try out was to make sort of city blocks that would allow for some more variaty in the gameplay compared to just using regular buildings. The map will have a number of these 'blocks' that consist of...for the most part...one tile modular buildings of various hights and  damage combined together will full acess to each 'room' via more or less  a complete set of functioning internal doors and rubbled walls. These blocks will provide a large variaty of fighting- and fallback possitions for the defending forces as well as many choises for the attacker as well as he moves into them.

Besides these blocks the 'factory district' will have a pair of rather large factories that simularely uses a mix of smaller buildings combined with high and low walls...to build a combat location to fight for. (get your flamethrowers fueled up 😊)...

Blocks, factories and....A lot of rubbled buildings...It is one ruined town ! 🤕...

The map will also make liberal use of flavoured objects to include 'some flavour'.

A scenario is in the making but i will released the map first as it becomes finished...probably next week.

The scenario will be called - Rebels in Odessa - and will be a fictional scenario in with the player will be comanding the russians trying to clear the city of Odessa from Ukranian seperatists (partisan) supported by german rearguard units that failed to escape the russian encirclement.

The scenario will take somewhat longer to complete...

Some WIP pictures...

Moving in to town
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-13_16-33-53-25(1)

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-13_16-34-49-96.bm

Wiewing the factory district in the far.
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-13_16-37-00-79.bm

Factory district up closer
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-11_22-48-18-66(1)

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-12_19-36-48-69(1)

more pics..

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-12_19-36-10-93(1)

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-12_19-35-45-32(1)

looking down town
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-11_23-13-22-82(1)

More suburbs
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-11_23-11-11-50(1)

Rebels
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-11_20-24-07-99(2)

and russians
CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-10_16-21-15-13(2)

Great looks ! 

But... Why so starnge scenario for Odesa, albeit fictional ? :)There weren't any "Ukrainian separatists" in this city, especially supported by Germans %) Odesa was mostly under Romanian troops occupation. Local partisans and underground resistance existed during WWII, they hid in catacombs. Also after the war Red Army and NKVD were forced to conduct large-scale anti-criminal operation, because large well armed criminal bands terrorized the city and turned on real "criminal partisan" army.

The any city or town in Western Ukraine will be more proper for name of scenario :)

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

Great looks ! 

But... Why so starnge scenario for Odesa, albeit fictional ?

Thanks for pointing this out 😊...I have honestly not put that much thought into the actuall scenario as of yet. The focus has been on the map so far. I wanted to get the partisans into the scenario as those are new and ukranian seperatist seemed like a nice idea and as the russians are attacking from the west Odessa seemed like a nice 'pick'...😎 But as you mentioned i may well change the this to something more appropiate although this is purely a fictional scenario...

This looks pretty interesting. You could model the partisans on the "Ukrainian Insurgent Army" which aren't discussed much in comparison to the Polish resistance fighters. They have a somewhat ominous reputation but were also very effective for a time. They even assassinated a high ranking soviet General (Vatutin.) As for them defending a heavily damaged city against Soviet troops? I have no idea.

14 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

They even assassinated a high ranking soviet General (Vatutin.) As for them defending a heavily damaged city against Soviet troops? I have no idea.

Yepp...This little mischief got me thinking of them and in this fictional scenario i thought i would give them a somewhat bigger part to play....But they will not be defending the city all by themself. My 'working idea' is that groups of these guys joined forces with german rearguard units that got trapped in the city as the russians encircled it.

If the Ukranians where 'good guys' or not i have honestly no idea...Good guys where in short supply on the eastern front i belive (although many individual soldiers from both sides obviously where decent people).

But it was a nasty place for sure...

57 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Yepp...This little mischief got me thinking of them and in this fictional scenario i thought i would give them a somewhat bigger part to play....But they will not be defending the city all by themself. My 'working idea' is that groups of these guys joined forces with german rearguard units that got trapped in the city as the russians encircled it.

If the Ukranians where 'good guys' or not i have honestly no idea...Good guys where in short supply on the eastern front i belive (although many individual soldiers from both sides obviously where decent people).

But it was a nasty place for sure...

All the good guys were at Western front obviously.

The East was full of orcs and underhumans with almost blurred line between bad Nazi and bad Russians. 

50 minutes ago, dbsapp said:

All the good guys were at Western front obviously.

1 hour ago, Glubokii Boy said:

(although many individual soldiers from both sides obviously where decent people)

Let's try to not get into politics here, please...You are offcourse free to have your  oppinion on history and politics but this is not the place...

Sorry if my comment upset you 🙃...

38 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Let's try to not get into politics here, please...You are offcourse free to have your  oppinion on history and politics but this is not the place...

Sorry if my comment upset you 🙃...

I've merely repated what you had said, so I don't know who is getting "into politics" here. 

And I really appreciate your humanism of generously admitting that both sides, from SS to Red Army, had many decent people.

Things are moving forward 😎....The 'block houses' are in place and functioning as intended...Some more work needed on the smaller buildings but given the current progress...The map WILL be released next week for anyone that would like to take it for a spin....A few final prewiew pic of those blocks...

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-14_15-39-19-42.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-14_15-44-22-40.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-14_17-59-57-21.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-14_15-45-42-00.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-14_18-02-24-74.bm

Interesting stuff.  I like just about anything with partisans. :)

I'm not sure, from the screenshots, what the skyline for the map is.  If you wanted you could probably use the tag that makes the below destroyed city skyline appear.  IIRC the tag is berlin.  Not sure if the tag berlin changes more than just the skyline.  If it does it could be moded to only change the skyline.  

The tags [city] and [rubble] might also be useful if you're not already using them.  

qXciIv9h.jpg

35 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Things are moving forward 😎....The 'block houses' are in place and functioning as intended...Some more work needed on the smaller buildings but given the current progress...The map WILL be released next week for anyone that would like to take it for a spin....A few final prewiew pic of those blocks...

Very good-looking rubbled town.    The faded buildings in the distance give the pics depth.  Photoshop?

I like those shots too, great work.

It reminds me why I don't live in a city 😄.  Only joking, they don't normally look like that these days and it's probably the crowds of people not the actual city that I'm avoiding.

Anyway please keep up your excellent efforts 👍.

16 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The tags [city] and [rubble] might also be useful if you're not already using them.  

I tried to get that to work previously but failed. After your suggestion here i decided to give this another go...and vioala

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-15_11-34-49-24.bm

Thanks ! 😎

Hello...I have finished the map...I will provide a link down below if anyone would like to download it and use it in their own scenarios or in H2H games...

The map in the editor

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-37-56-65.bm

As mentioned at the start of this thread one of the main features of this map will be a number of 'blocks' that consist of multiple single tile
buildings combined together to build up the towns main housing complexes...These combinations of buildings will form nice fighting possitions that will allow
for full freedom of movement inside the buildings as all of them have fully funtioning internal door on every floor and in every direction. My goal here is to
try and make these buildings somewhat harder to suppres from the outside as there are so many different locations in them...with the ability to repossition within them quickly..

Some of these blocks seen from the editor...

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-38-43-12.bm

And in game...

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-37-25-78.bm

appart from these 'blocks' the map contains a large number of other rubbled buildings as well as a complete factory district with two decent sized factories
that also will allow for some form of movement inside them.

The map is by no means huge but it is very detailed and i contains a lot of 'stuff'...

some more pictures...

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-32-18-16.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-32-41-92.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-33-28-13.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-35-09-41.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-35-20-63.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-35-46-37.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-36-36-24.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-20_20-43-52-13.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-20_20-42-55-05.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-20_06-17-33-82.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-20_06-16-37-54.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-20_06-14-55-86.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-36-03-15.bm

CM_Red_Thunder_2021-05-21_17-36-16-51.bm

Given the high level of detail and the many rubbled buildings and flavoured objects etc...The map will be somewhat demanding on your computer i belive.

If you do decide to download this map and give it a try...Please make a short comment in this thread and tell me if your FPS performance is acceptable of if it is to demanding for your ,machine.
If the majority of people are seeing acceptable FPS i may very well decide to expand the map a fair bit...perhaps makining it usable for a static campaign or somewhat larger scenarios that would provide more room for manouver.

Also...What do you think about these kinds of buildings ? Do they provide some nice oppertunities and tactical challanges or do you considder them to be more of an waisted effort and not something that i should include in future maps...

A link to the map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55n385af4jloslg/Rebels in Odessa MAP.btt?dl=0

Any feedback will be apprisiated (good or bad), thanks...
Hopefully the map will work fine for you and be cool to play on...If FPS are low try to toggle shadows off and see if that helps...