So you just got your hands on CMCW...now what? Designers Q&A thread.

The_Capt

SORRY MY LAST COMMENT BUT YO ARE YOU KIDDING ME

THANKS TO @Kevin2k'S FIX I DONT HAVE TO REPLACE A SINGLE BUILDING. THE WHOLE MODULE TRANSFERS OVER BY HIS SOLUTION. WHICH BY THE WAY, IS CHANGING 2 BYTES AND REMOVING 1.

CM-Cold-War-2021-05-02-15-46-29-54.png

BERLIN, IN CMCW, JUST ABOUT 0 EFFORT REQUIRED

THE SMOOTHEST ENGINE RUNNING THE MOST DEMANDING MAP

THIS IS HUGE. I CANT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH

I AM AGAIN AN OVERLY HAPPY CUSTOMER. THANKS TO THE COMMUNITY THOUGH

@Kevin2k@Kevin2k@Kevin2k

^^^^^^THANK THAT GUY ^^^^^^

Edited by Artkin

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

For me the biggest thing that comes readily to mind was a minor change to the way aircraft work. I wanted to implement a change for aircraft that would allow them to release multiple munitions per pass. So for example, an F-16 could fly in and drop all its cluster bombs at once on a single targeted area. Same goes for any unguided munition, like dumb bombs. 

Unfortunately there just was not enough time in development for that change to be implemented, tested, approved and shipped. Maybe at some point in the future though. 

Yep, this sounds sick and applicable to all CM titles. Looking forward to this. Airstrikes take too long and do too little to be feasible support in just about any title. This addition would totally change how often people consider picking air assets.

53 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

@The Captain, I'll make this question deliberately generic so you don't have to give anything away but do you have a bigger team lined up for the first module including perhaps a foreign national veteran of the nation of choice?

If we are going to proceed with a follow up module, that sounds like a good way to go about it (deliberately vague with shifty eyes).  However, I am already a “foreign national veteran” so there is that.

40 minutes ago, Artkin said:

THANKS TO @Kevin2k'S FIX I DONT HAVE TO REPLACE A SINGLE BUILDING. THE WHOLE MODULE TRANSFERS OVER BY HIS SOLUTION. WHICH BY THE WAY, IS CHANGING 2 BYTES AND REMOVING 1.

BERLIN, IN CMCW, JUST ABOUT 0 EFFORT REQUIRED

THE SMOOTHEST ENGINE RUNNING THE MOST DEMANDING MAP

THIS IS HUGE. I CANT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH

I AM AGAIN AN OVERLY HAPPY CUSTOMER. THANKS TO THE COMMUNITY THOUGH

@Kevin2k@Kevin2k@Kevin2k

^^^^^^THANK THAT GUY ^^^^^^

I would really like to understand how to import maps from one title to another.  I've never tried because I didn't think it was possible.  Would you mind explaining in detail the step-by-step procedure for doing this?  Thank you.

I have never understood why once one person cleans up the maps and converts them for another game. Why not just make the maps available at a share site.

Why should everyone struggle through the conversion,  when in truth, many are not that skilled to do it. Thus the issues as we see here.

26 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

I would really like to understand how to import maps from one title to another.  I've never tried because I didn't think it was possible.  Would you mind explaining in detail the step-by-step procedure for doing this?  Thank you.

THE TRADITIONAL WAY:

1. Visit Hexed.it (A website)

2. Click   "Open file" on the top.

3. Navigate to your CM maps in the window that opens up. (Typically CM will install the program in Program files (x86) -> Battlefront -> Combat Mission-> CMBS. Maps are typically installed to (Documents -> Battlefront -> Combat Mission -> CMBS -> Game Files)

4. Select the map you wish to convert and open in Hex editor.

4.png

5. There is one byte (One of the boxes with 00 in it) that needs to be changed. Each game has a different number to symbolize what game the map belongs to. "0A" is for CMBS. 0C is CMFB. 04 is CMBN. 06 is CMFI. 12 is CMCW. 00 is CMSF2. We are transferring this CMBS file to CMCW. So replace the 0A by typing 12.

5.png

6. Click export at the top after changing the number. The file is now a CMCW file with the change of the single byte "0A" to "12".

7. The file should export to your downloads folder (Check to see where the file actually goes.. you can double check by clicking export again.. as it will ask you where to place the file.. then you can see where it goes.).

Move the file from your downloads to the appropriate folder.

For instance: We converted a CMBS QB map. So it will be placed in the appropriate CMCW QB map folder.

EXTRA: You can add subfolders to the QB maps folder for particular titles, for organization purposes. You can explore these subfolders in the editor, so it's cool. They organize your folder so it looks pretty. Just remember to save the file (When you have it open in the editor) and place it out of the subfolder, so when you click Battle or Quick Battle on the main game screen, the maps will actually show. Of course you can always find them in the editor just fine. But the main game won't pick up the files unless they are directly in Documents -> CMCW -> QB maps.

They won't show if you have them in a subfolder such as Documents -> CMCW -> QB maps -> Conversions

sure.png

THE NEW WAY: FOR STUBBORN FILES

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THIS:

F-R.png

ALSO:

Check out this thread I made a while back for converting maps. This was the original thread.

Edited by Artkin

6 minutes ago, slysniper said:

I have never understood why once one person cleans up the maps and converts them for another game. Why not just make the maps available at a share site.

Why should everyone struggle through the conversion,  when in truth, many are not that skilled to do it. Thus the issues as we see here.

I have made the maps public before, and I was the only person to do this.

I felt really bad about it in heinsight.

If BFC gives me the OK I don't mind publishing everything I have converted, and everything I will convert.

I won't publish anything CMF&R. This I will probably leave to you guys. Unless given a thumbs up.

Edited by Artkin

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

I have made the maps public before, and I was the only person to do this.

I felt really bad about it in hindsight.

If BFC gives me the OK I don't mind publishing everything I have converted, and everything I will convert.

I won't publish anything CMF&R. This I will probably leave to you guys. Unless given a thumbs up.

Consider posting such maps at The Scenario Depot which is hosted by The Few Good Men.  The will be well appreciated there.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

THE TRADITIONAL WAY:

1. Visit Hexed.it (A website)

2. Click   "Open file" on the top.

3. Navigate to your CM maps in the window that opens up. (Typically CM will install the program in Program files (x86) -> Battlefront -> Combat Mission-> CMBS. Maps are typically installed to (Documents -> Battlefront -> Combat Mission -> CMBS -> Game Files)

4. Select the map you wish to convert and open in Hex editor.

4.png

5. There is one byte (One of the boxes with 00 in it) that needs to be changed. Each game has a different number to symbolize what game the map belongs to. "0A" is for CMBS. 0C is CMFB. 04 is CMBN. 06 is CMFI. 12 is CMCW. 00 is CMSF2. We are transferring this CMBS file to CMCW. So replace the 0A by typing 12.

5.png

6. Click export at the top after changing the number. The file is now a CMCW file with the change of the single byte "0A" to "12".

7. The file should export to your downloads folder (Check to see where the file actually goes.. you can double check by clicking export again.. as it will ask you where to place the file.. then you can see where it goes.).

Move the file from your downloads to the appropriate folder.

For instance: We converted a CMBS QB map. So it will be placed in the appropriate CMCW QB map folder.

EXTRA: You can add subfolders to the QB maps folder for particular titles, for organization purposes. You can explore these subfolders in the editor, so it's cool. They organize your folder so it looks pretty. Just remember to save the file (When you have it open in the editor) and place it out of the subfolder, so when you click Battle or Quick Battle on the main game screen, the maps will actually show. Of course you can always find them in the editor just fine. But the main game won't pick up the files unless they are directly in Documents -> CMCW -> QB maps.

They won't show if you have them in a subfolder such as Documents -> CMCW -> QB maps -> Conversions

sure.png

THE NEW WAY: FOR STUBBORN FILES

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THIS:

F-R.png

ALSO:

Check out this thread I made a while back for converting maps. This was the original thread.

THANK YOU!  👍

Just now, IICptMillerII said:

Is it possible for individuals to upload their own content there?

My last post, sorry for derailing the thread everybody.

I won't be uploading anything. Everyone has the tools to do it themselves.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, danfrodo said:

not CW specific, but does anyone know how to turn the crickets off?  It's just too much ambient noise.  All I know is all sound on/off, nothing about ambient on/off. 

The ME soundscape (which comes with the 'All in One') has very quiet ambient sounds... indeed all non combat sounds are subdued.

11 hours ago, The_Capt said:

If we are going to proceed with a follow up module, that sounds like a good way to go about it (deliberately vague with shifty eyes).  However, I am already a “foreign national veteran” so there is that.

The Steel Beasts community should have some people able to help with OoB & equipment details in the different time periods of the game.

9 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

The Steel Beasts community should have some people able to help with OoB & equipment details in the different time periods of the game.

Steel Beasts was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw first CMCW screenshots😁 

Regarding the Q & A:

Smallest mission 'Direction found':  What is the best way to employ the Soviet LMG in this scenario?

M60A2: The smoke grenade launchers on the Soviet tanks will block her sight, correct?

Best regards,
Thomm

10 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Regarding the Q & A:

Smallest mission 'Direction found':  What is the best way to employ the Soviet LMG in this scenario?

M60A2: The smoke grenade launchers on the Soviet tanks will block her sight, correct?

Best regards,
Thomm

Direction Found is a cool little platoon attack scenario. My assumption was that the idea of using the weapons as a base of fire in the buildings for the platoon wasn't viable - you might get lucky and snipe the M113 gunners before they take you out, but otherwise you're trying to fight a .50 cal with an armoured LMG, and you aren't likely to win that fight.

That means that the LMG and SVD can perform the kind of role that platoon MGs typically do - as a mobile element that can add to a base of fire, or can free up a squad for another movement. 

I don't believe the M60A2 has thermal optics, so I'd expect the smoke will block LOS, yes.

10 hours ago, Artkin said:

Thanks.

Yes... you can upload your own scenarios.  Modifications on The CM Mod Warehouse however are done through me.

10 hours ago, Artkin said:

Thanks.

rarely annoying after all the fuss you've created. btw, maps are quite a delicate thing containing a  lot of info. it isn't a deliberate attempt to keep them out of other games, it is just fiddly. battlefront explained this specific map problem in a podcast here:

These new edits allow people free access to battle pack missions and campaigns that they have not bought or activated, is that ok with you guys? Everyone here sounds very liberal today, but how would BFC respond when they realise that you can do that now, what about the scenario authors that made that content, did you ask them before you revealed this?

Whether you realise it or not, that while this may allow the swapping of maps and scenarios from expansion modules to other titles it is at the same time a guide on how to pirate battle pack modules. You’re not breaking the activation of the battle pack in the game engine, but all the bits at the other end, the maps, scenarios and campaigns because that is the only check performed. I’m pretty sure BFC would not be OK with that, and understandably so.

If you can edit say any Black Sea battle pack QB map, scenario or campaign to work in any title, then it now also works in Black Sea…. without the Battlepack module activation. It’s probably a bit more complicated for the Normandy Battlepack due to the CW and MG modules, but for Black Sea it is perfectly straightforward.

Edited by Jace11

22 hours ago, Artkin said:

It's okay, I will live. I don't value online friendships as much as others. It's the internet bro.

OK, I need to say this because clearly noone important in your life has. 

Customer feedback is good, but so long as it is constructive feedback. Everything you have said, and the way you have said it, has been destructive. Being polite isn't about making friends with me or other members. It is about not being a jerk and raising the chance that your complaints get listened to. Ever heard of the critique sandwich? You say something good, something bad, something good. Far more likely to get taken seriously. When everything you say is negative, it is very easy to just tune it out. 

Notice how your posts were promptly ignored by the staff/devs/beta testers? And they were still replying to people with honest, polite questions? 

I am of the opinion you owe them an apology not only for derailing a thread, but spreading falsehoods about a DRM conspiracy. This simply isn't the case, as Kevin's solution shows. 

On 5/2/2021 at 12:02 AM, MikeyD said:

During research I stumbled on a document that gave some indication of why the US was so willing to give up cluster munition by treaty convention. Apparently they weren't as effective as hoped.

The US has not signed the Treaty on Cluster Munitons.