Heaven & Earth- The People's Beta

Heaven & Earth, the "Vietnam-esque" Super-mod, is proud to release the 'People's Beta'...

Enjoy & don't hesitate to give the team some feedback.

Download link (includes the manual)...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xal53h0dxyuznse/H%26E_0.97.7z/file

The manual only (for those who just wish to peruse) link...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yq8h8zuswecmj3z/H%26E_0.97_Manual.pdf/file

Content includes...

• Four "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era Campaigns-

-The amazing 15 mission "Year of the Rat" by @puje,

-A 15 mission People's Militia concept campaign by myself (The Special War).

-A conversion of a 7 mission CMA campaign originally by @Fredrock1957 (now dubbed Major Nguyens Command).

-A, tweaked, 7 mission Urban "conversion" campaign (The Second Battle of Ikke) by myself.

• Sixteen "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era scenarios

-By far, the most impressive mission is the epic & original 'A miserable damn performance' scenario by @Combatintman.

-Most of the remaining scenarios are "conversions" (some of the scenarios from the 'Open Beta' have been tweaked).

• One Modern era Campaign-

-(Battle of Quy Ly- 4 missions) A rudimentary conversion of an old (very old) campaign by @RommL. Primarily an experiment in seeing what it takes to update a CMSF campaign, I made a few quick alterations and beefed up the opposition somewhat.

• Nine Modern Era scenarios (one original scenario by @Sgt.Squarehead and eight simple conversions by myself).

Installation & set-up

The Heaven & Earth modpack is designed for CMSF2 version 2.03 or 2.04, it is advised that you use no other mods alongside Heaven & Earth as it is a complete package with a unique UI, sounds, scripts, special effects, vehicle's & weapons... many of which are swapped internally by the use of tags.

Place the mod pack into your empty mod folder in C:\Users\user\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\User Data

Place the contents of the scenario folder into your scenario folder in C:\Users\user\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Game Files

Place the contents of the campaign folder into your campaign folder in C:\Users\user\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Game Files

Place the contents of the map folder into your map folder in C:\Users\user\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Game Files

For Steam users...

Place the mod pack into your empty Z folder (you may need to create this) in SteamLibrary\steam apps\Common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\

Place the contents of the scenario folder into your scenario folder in SteamLibrary\steam apps\Common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Games Files

Place the contents of the campaign folder into your campaign folder in SteamLibrary\steam apps\Common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Games Files

Place the contents of the map folder into your map folder in SteamLibrary\steam apps\Common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Games Files

In terms of settings, because Heaven & Earth maps are often more complex than the desert maps of CMSF2, you may find it useful to slightly reduce your '3d Model Quality' settings. 'Balanced' or 'Improved' should be sufficient for smooth gameplay. Remember you can change your '3d Model Quality' in-game using Shift+[ & Shift+]. You can also toggle shadows with Alt+W.

Some of the newly created objects may look odd with shaders off. Alt+R will toggle your shaders in-game.

Changes from the 'Open Beta'

• Scripts text file updated for latest (2.03) patch.
  • Animations: Altered "Jump" animation.
  • Editor: New look
  • Environment: New ground brush red, hard ground brush red, gravel & heavy rock textures. Distant bitmaps enlarged to CMSF2 sizes, new distant dirt bitmap. Tweaked red dirt texture. Tree 2 less vibrant, many distant tree bitmaps have been tweaked/made darker. Different 'moodier' overcast clouds. New road mix. New background. Distant bush textures added.
  • Buildings: Aquilla's Temple roofs added.
  • Defensive works: Tweaked barbed wire colour.  Wire fences also tweaked.
  • ME soundscape: updated to 1.5 (generally snappier & crackier)... also a modern era 'end of battle' track added.
  • UI: Placeholder potraits for modern Bong-Hai forces.
  • UI: Blue Syrian icons added, dutch icons added. Some era/tag specific icons added.
  • UI: Era specific compasses added.
  • UI: Era specific ranks & branch icons added.
  • UI: Hi-vis TRP, by JuJju, added. Also alternative surrender flag added.
  • Blue Infantry: British & Dutch DPM uniforms tweaked. Placeholder German flecktarn uniform replaced by JMDECC's uniform.
  • Red Infantry: Modern Mechanized/Guard uniforms now using a recoloured JMDECC uniform.
  • Vehicles: UK Mortar Bulldog LOD issues fixed. Large Humvee pick-up fixed.
  • [bhcw] A few helicopter sound replacements.
  • [bhcw] New helmet textures for the 'Imperial Cavalry/Red Airborne'.
  • [bhcw] BTR-60pb LOD issues fixed.
  • [bhcw] New building 5.
  • [burnt] New tree 2 & bush 2 burnt stumps, new terrain combinations inc a burnt 'rocky red' floor.
  • [spad] A few extra propeller aircraft sounds.
  • [rvnaf] Period appropriate aircraft silhouettes. The few missing voice files were filled.
  • [rickety] 16m & 32m steel span bridges now also get converted into wood bridges.
  • [delta] Background tweaked & hazy/thick hazy background fixed.
  • [paddies] Wetter looking mud, new tall green grass & weeds. Background tweaked.
  • [mountains] New bush doodads, new grass & weeds. New tree 3. Tree 5 tweaked. Several new ground tiles. Greener grain tile (for the poppies). New building 4 & 7. Tweaked sky.
  • [boonies] Wire fence model swap deleted.
  • [daybattle] & [nightbattle] Three new 'distant battle' ambient sound tracks for use during extensive fighting. Activating [nightbattle] during non-night hours will turn on the dawn/dusk battle ambience.
  • [cache] Blue syr icons added.
  • [ikke], [burnt] & [burnt ikke] New Background, sky & terrain combinations.
  • [night] If activated during the day this will now also activate dawn/dusk ambient sounds.
  • [arclight] New tag which expands the invisible M129 Stryker concept with additional invisible or inaudible extra's (floating icons, US crew & chatter).

Edited by 37mm

I founds that one doesn't have to have two CMSF2 installations.  I simply renamed my regular CMSF2 Mod folder to "A Original" and then copied the H&E mods to a new folder one can call Mods or "Z".

Fired up "A Miserable Damn Performance".  Looks great.  However, I noticed that while most squads have 7.62x54Rmm ammo for the MG, the single resupply truck has 7.62x39mm.  Is that deliberate or an error?

BTW: In the opening info screen for each battle the camo BG obscures the text in the RHS flag.  BTW, the flag is the same on both LHS and RHS??

Also, in the few battles I looked at I see FO's but no arty or air to call. Is that right?

Edited by Erwin

8 hours ago, storm95 said:

There are mosque type buildings in Major Nguyens Command. Is this correct. 😮Thanks

Some buildings have pagoda like roofs, some have golden domes & some have sloped roofs... there's no real in-game difference.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

However, I noticed that while most squads have 7.62x54Rmm ammo for the MG, the single resupply truck has 7.62x39mm.  Is that deliberate or an error?

BTW: In the opening info screen for each battle the camo BG obscures the text in the RHS flag.  BTW, the flag is the same on both LHS and RHS??

Also, in the few battles I looked at I see FO's but no arty or air to call. Is that right?

The issue with low quantities of 7.62x54Rmm ammo has been a longstanding CMSF2 issue... it was partially fixed (for Reserve, Mech & Guard troops) in the last patch.

The remaining low MG ammo loadouts for Airborne/SF troops should hopefully be fixed in the next patch... till then it's just something that all CMSF2 players have to manage.

I'll mention the text obscuration to @xacto, I'm sure he can come up with a fix.

Inevitably, Red vs Red scenarios will use the same flag.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several scenarios where support options trickle in over time.

If the gods allow me some time off to play around with these, I'd be happy!

Looking great! I had a bit of fun playing around with the previous version, this sure makes me want to go into it again and play a couple of missions.

All involved thanks for the hard work!

super fantastic awesome
a new CM
About this I opened CMSF 2 times I even created a new icon

210330045105849360.jpg
on the other hand I only have a quick battle campaign scenario file etc
 They all open on CM SF2 and on CM H&E that i don't want!
someone would have an idea to avoid having all the scenarios each time !
this would not have posed a problem with CM Normandie

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, borg said:

dear all. I have installed the mod., copy copying pasting as a Z folder under data. It seems I have no sound hmmm... I use a Mac OS.. Anyone had this .?

You've reminded me, one person mentioned it during the Open Beta... they too had a mac.

I arranged some test files to see if these could be heard... but recieved no feedback.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0-nWIeMPIA3EmT56jdkljQwwWx?e=Y1gNNx

Add to an empty mod folder.

The only placeholder fix I can think of would be to search for every .wav in the modpack then cut them out & put them elsewhere for now (out of the mod folder).

Cool. I’ll try it out tonight . It also happened to me in fact with another large mod fir Afghan missions dl . So it must be common prob on macs 

and a quick quick suppl question - the mod tags - do I need them ? If yes . Where shall I place them and under which folder name. Thanks guys 

Edited by borg

11 minutes ago, 37mm said:

You've reminded me, one person mentioned it during the Open Beta... they too had a mac.

I arranged some test files to see if these could be heard... but recieved no feedback.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0-nWIeMPIA3EmT56jdkljQwwWx?e=Y1gNNx

Add to an empty mod folder.

The only placeholder fix I can think of would be to search for every .wav in the modpack then cut them out & put them elsewhere for now (out of the mod folder).

aaaaaaa this little link mod u sent me. WORKS. so what do I need to do ?

Just now, borg said:

aaaaaaa this little link mod u sent me. WORKS. so what do I need to do ?

Well... change every .wav in the H&E modpack to the settings used in the test .wav's (48000 Hz IIRC).

Or wait until I get round to it (now that I know the test settings work for macs)?

If you mean the "Tags for scenario creators" folder then no... not unless you intend to create some scenarios.

If you mean the various "zzz tagged options" in the H&E modpack... yes, they are very much needed. Keep them in the modpack.