CM Cold War - Beta AAR - Soviet Thread - Glorious Soviet Victory at Small German Town 1980

The_Capt

The firing ports are entirely functional in CMSF and CMBS. Testing as many Syrian MG teams as I can fit in a BMP-1 shows that they only seem to fire their AKs though.

I'm sure I've heard an SVD and PK fired through a firing port, but that was when I was testing the BMP-3 in CMBS and that probably has a different system.

6 minutes ago, Hapless said:

I'm sure I've heard an SVD and PK fired through a firing port,

It's theoretically possible to stuff the barrel on your PK through the port while the mounting mechanism removed. So, perhaps it may be possible to fit in (it would be extremely awkward and impractical) Also, the venting system that's meant to help keep the gasses/fumes from firing the weapon out of the crew compartment would not be applicable. Here's a pic of removing an AK. You need to turn it sideways to get the front sight post to fit through. I don't have data of the height of the front sight and barrel on a PK but if you may be able to hook it through.. Same goes for the SVD. Again, the rotating and yawing firing port mount (the part with the glass) won't be locked to the guns movement so you functionality there. Not sure sure if the locking piece is compatible with the SVD but it's possible.

The key take away is it's definitely not intended but perhaps possible to use an SVD or PK's barrel out the window but the actual use of the weapon would be extremely awkward and possibly dangerous to the inside crew (no ventilation of gasses).

Here's the video I'm pulling from so you can see it in more detail yourself;

removeBMP.png

On 2/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, The_Capt said:

The_Capt's personal definition of warfare: "a collision of irreconcilable envisioned realities, as all parties negotiate with an unwritten future".  War's function is three main components: communication, negotiation and sacrifice.  So I ask myself:  what am I communicating through my violence?  What is my opponent willing to give and take?  What am I willing to lose?

I'll take a stab at this:

1. Absolute hatred and vitriol.
  2. Only enough to ensure mission success, and no more.
  3. EVERYONE!!

4 hours ago, c3k said:

Moar! People's Soviet delegation is watching you. Send moar reports or we will send more delegations!

Wow...no pressure.  Ok, so this is not as formal turn report, I will do a summary once we get a bit further but here is an example of the Soviet Missile Hell ("SMH" copyright) awaiting the US player.

First a M150 get cocky and crest a hill, and three AT 3s light up (red circles)

1616878852_Turn8-ATGMs.thumb.jpg.084b7098140a8c75d446f96525dbca3c.jpg

And 2 out of 3 aint bad...(Capt's Rule #4)

1779376662_Turn8-Hit1.thumb.jpg.cbba3544eaa8428ea6ce4002be3d1de3.jpg

1880420362_Turn8-Hit2.thumb.jpg.0e92a252104c6282dce970a4ecaec8a5.jpg

1022257131_Turn8-Miss.thumb.jpg.eef86a16e879ecd11d52521f6e0a9dab.jpg

Bil is lucky that was an M150 because those AT 3 would have killed anything short of an M1.  [edit AT3Bs..my bad, AT 5s are even deadlier].

Edited by The_Capt

8 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Those red unit icons in the background blend with the crosses and trick the eye in a quick glance. I kept thinking that somehow you killed dozens of people, not 3. :blink:

No, that was me in my first CMSF play with AAVs stuffed full of Marines: I found out that the game engine has no limitations on how many red crosses it can display simultaneously.  For that knowledge, I thank those Marines.

But, back to this AAR: the opening graphics defined the Soviet approach. Teeth and hands scrabbling at eyes...or somefink. I like the Maskirovka baked-in from the outset.

Remember, comrade, we can always send you more men and tanks: we cannot make more time. ;)

20 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Wow...no pressure.  Ok, so this is not as formal turn report, I will do a summary once we get a bit further but here is an example of the Soviet Missile Hell ("SMH" copyright) awaiting the US player.

First a M150 get cocky and crest a hill, and three AT 3s light up (red circles)

1616878852_Turn8-ATGMs.thumb.jpg.084b7098140a8c75d446f96525dbca3c.jpg

And 2 out of 3 aint bad...(Capt's Rule #4)

1779376662_Turn8-Hit1.thumb.jpg.cbba3544eaa8428ea6ce4002be3d1de3.jpg

1880420362_Turn8-Hit2.thumb.jpg.0e92a252104c6282dce970a4ecaec8a5.jpg

1022257131_Turn8-Miss.thumb.jpg.eef86a16e879ecd11d52521f6e0a9dab.jpg

Bil is lucky that was an M150 because those AT 3 would have killed anything short of an M1.  [edit AT3Bs..my bad, AT 5s are even deadlier].

Nice one! Give m some hell!

Two out of three ain't bad indeed, more than enough for government work ;-). And indeed good to see the Sagger demand more respect. 

On 2/22/2021 at 8:18 PM, Hapless said:

Testing as many Syrian MG teams as I can fit in a BMP-1 shows that they only seem to fire their AKs though.

I'm sure I've heard an SVD and PK fired through a firing port

@Rice, first ports to the left and to the right will accept PKMs happily. The rest are AK only. AFAIK

8 minutes ago, IMHO said:

Just don't ask me how it's supposed to work :)

Nothing too crazy, very simple like the AK mount. You just insert the PK into the mechanism. The point of the contraption is to keep the PK connected to the glass plate. I wonder if there's a way to connect any tube that vents gas like on the AKM.

2 minutes ago, Rice said:

I wonder if there's a way to connect any tube that vents gas like on the AKM.

Point 18 on the photo. Shall we switch to some other place to discuss this? Just not to clutter the beautiful AAR thread.

Edited by IMHO