Final Blitzkrieg is in Final Candidate

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Are you saying that the web site is stopping you from browsing to the download page because your OS is XP?

Download page is just blank (white). Is there any Java or other new browser plugin requirements?

With regards to WinXP I meant the info page showing Win7+ as minimum OS requirement, but as Kevin2K indicates this not to be true? :huh:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not see any additional browser requirements on the announcement page.  I am viewing them with fire fox - and they work fine.  The announcement page http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=344&Itemid=606 and the direct link to the dl (not sure if this will actually work): https://battlefront.sharefile.com/share?cmd=d&id=sc7911c875b44fa68#/view/sc7911c875b44fa68?_k=wutgnc

In case either of those help you.

Yeah, any one listing supported platforms will have dropped XP since M$ did a while back. There is little point in mentioning and OS that is no longer supported it self. Once support ends there are no guarantees of how long new apps will continue to work but I think there are a couple of others using XP so hopefully you can get an idea of if CM will.

17 minutes ago, IanL said:

This one shows a blank page, although web content appears to have loaded in the background actually. It´s just that I get a white page with no graphical elements of any sort showing. Could be my Browsers (FF and Chrome) are outdated, as is JS. Have no such problems on any other website though.

Anyway, if CMFB is still WinXP compatible, I´ll order the boxed version, not DL (crappy, limited data volume internet connection on my part). If not, I can wait until I have the required OS and new hardware, which will be not that soon.

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

With regards to WinXP I meant the info page showing Win7+ as minimum OS requirement, but as Kevin2K indicates this not to be true? :huh:

The helpdesk wrote to me about it last week: Stated OS requirements are about guaranteed support. Though it is also said that currently the CMFB engine is not changed as far as OS interfacing goes. Today I found the demo runs on XP 100%, so that is nice, for what it is worth. But there are no promises for future versions. 

23 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

The helpdesk wrote to me about it last week: Stated OS requirements are about guaranteed support. Though it is also said that currently the CMFB engine is not changed as far as OS interfacing goes. Today I found the demo runs on XP 100%, so that is nice, for what it is worth. But there are no promises for future versions. 

If that is correct Kevin that sounds like a good omen for me although I run Windows Vista, However I will still try the demo first and likely check my system specs with the help desk firs particularly if there re any issues. However, if there are others with older OS it would be great if they could post feedback. I will do so as and when I test he demo.

In so far as Black Sea etc are concerned I assume additional modules will continue to be compatible with at least Vista OS and hopefully BF will take the hint :-)

Still can´t access the demo download page at Sharefile. If this is indicative for future download opportunities from BFC/Sharefile (....patches and modules), I´ll probbaly think twice, before purchasing CMFB in the near future and likely stick to what I have now. I surely won´t stick to WinXP forever, but if I can´t even test play the demo, due to not beeing able to download it, I do not feel encouraged to stick to BFC products any much longer.

55 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Still can´t access the demo download page at Sharefile. If this is indicative for future download opportunities from BFC/Sharefile (....patches and modules), I´ll probbaly think twice, before purchasing CMFB in the near future and likely stick to what I have now. I surely won´t stick to WinXP forever, but if I can´t even test play the demo, due to not beeing able to download it, I do not feel encouraged to stick to BFC products any much longer.

So far you are the only person I've heard that has had this kind of issue with accessing the download page. A few problems with speed that might or might not have been due to traffic. I don't think it's fair to say it's indicative of future download opportunities. BFC, and any other company for that matter, is unlikely to ever say at this point that WXP is supported. Since MS has dropped support, there are no guarantees. Most things will *probably* work as they did before, but.....

You might try one thing. Go to another DEMO page (like BN or BS) and see if that opens for you. The FB page has a flash animation of some tanks driving down a road right at the top. The other DEMO pages don't. If your flash player is way out of date, that could be causing the issue. Just a thought. It's the only thing I can see that looks significantly different than other DEMO pages. If that's true you might be able to update your flash player version (I'm assuming of course you have it installed)

If you can't open the other DEMO pages I don't know what to tell you other than plan on upgrading your OS at some point. Hope that is of some help

Edited by Ultradave

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

Still can´t access the demo <Snip>

@Kevin2k reported he has WinXP and the demo worked.  So it will work we just need to figure out your particular situation.  This computer stuff can be frustrating.  I would try what @Ultradave said above and maybe submit a help desk ticket.  It hopefully is something simple.  An adult beverage or two may help also :D.  

@RockinHarry, while everything is theoretically possible I wouldn't assume you see a blank webpage because you are running windowsXP. The more logical explanation would be that the browser you're using is having problems with the javascript on the download page. Try another browser, like chrome and or firefox. Another possibility is that you're running a script blocker that is preventing the execution of javascript on the page. 
Why should you believe me? I am unfortunate enough to have several years of experience with webdevelopment ;-)
Good luck!

Edited by Lethaface

Rockinharry mentions he uses FireFox and Chrome already. (Internet Explorer 8 is the last IE version for XP, last update 2011, not reccomended) When I downloaded the Demo I used the latest FireFox with XP. I find it hard to imagine that all sharefile links work for him, except this demo. Beats me.

On 4/1/2016 at 3:54 PM, Kevin2k said:

Exactly that.  There's no reason that CMFB won't run on XP right now, but every day that goes by is less certain than the previous one.  We had to drop official support for MacOS 10.6.8 starting with CMFB because Apple stopped supporting a library that is needed and therefore changes were made to code which now make it incompatible with 10.6.8.  Since I have 10.6.8 I am well aware of how old it is and that it's amazing anything still works on it!

13 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

We've been using Sharefile for something like 4 or 5 years.  As others have said, nobody else has a problem except, in some cases, speed of download.  You're using an OS that was first released FOURTEEN YEARS AGO and went out of production SEVEN YEARS AGO.  If a finger is going to be pointed at the most likely suspect it would be XP and not Sharefile.  I don't see why we should take the blame for your choice to use something that is on life support.  It's amazing anything still works on XP, just as it's amazing anything still works on MacOS 10.6.8, and it's half as old.

Steve

7 minutes ago, snarre said:

did crish sayed anything new info about game release on last night stream? im not yet looked video .

He said that it is very, very close, but he didn't want to be more specific, in case something unexpeted happens that will cause a delay. I think it's very likely that it will be released this week, unless there is an unexpected delay.

Edited by JSj

Thanks all! Fixed it by installing new browser (latest Opera). Must´ve something to do with my other browsers (FF and Chrome) rendering engines, which have no problems opening and rendering any other websites in the net.

With regards to CMFB and WinXP I was just surprised that there is no mentioning of WinXP in the minimum system requirements, as there was no previous info before, that CMFB won´t possibly run on this OS. If it still does, the better! :) I naturally do not have any expectations, that any software released in 2016 still would run on XP. ;)

Now with an up to date browser, I also do not have any fears anymore, that I can´t access future patches and the web shop generally. Case closed.

44 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Thanks all! Fixed it by installing new browser (latest Opera). Must´ve something to do with my other browsers (FF and Chrome) rendering engines, which have no problems opening and rendering any other websites in the net.

With regards to CMFB and WinXP I was just surprised that there is no mentioning of WinXP in the minimum system requirements, as there was no previous info before, that CMFB won´t possibly run on this OS. If it still does, the better! :) I naturally do not have any expectations, that any software released in 2016 still would run on XP. ;)

Now with an up to date browser, I also do not have any fears anymore, that I can´t access future patches and the web shop generally. Case closed.

you should really just upgrade to windows 10 there is no point in using XP anymore

42 minutes ago, lordhedgwich said:

you should really just upgrade to windows 10 there is no point in using XP anymore

With dongle internet, limited bandwidth and data volume I simply can´t ATM. Also I´m not of the kind thinking every new "upgrade" from company X will be really of use to me (security and drivers stuff exempted), if anything that I need for everyday use (which is not gaming) runs fine with what I have. ...although the release of Fallout 4 is quite a good motivator to push priority for buying new hardware and OS higher already. :D 

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

With dongle internet, limited bandwidth and data volume I simply can´t ATM. Also I´m not of the kind thinking every new "upgrade" from company X will be really of use to me (security and drivers stuff exempted), if anything that I need for everyday use (which is not gaming) runs fine with what I have. ...although the release of Fallout 4 is quite a good motivator to push priority for buying new hardware and OS higher already. :D 

I would Skip fallout 4 and move onto witcher 3 =D, but windows 10 is rather nice you should give it a go

Yeah, I'm a Mac guy but I do have Windows on Parallels Desktop and just upgraded it to W10 a couple months ago. I have to hand it to MS this time. The upgrade was smooth as silk. No issues noted at all. Everything works. It was almost (dare I say it) a Mac like experience upgrading.