On The Horizon?

Chris and Battlefront,

I noticed you have not been Twitch streaming for a while so we have not yet had any chance of asking you any questions. I imagine that you all are busy with the patch but Steve mentioned about 4-5 months ago that there was a surprise announcement. So my questions are, what is going to be worked on after the CMBS 1.03 patch? Do we have any timetable discussion (even in very broad terms) of what we can expect next and will we know what the surprise is in the near future?

I do not think we have seen what may be possible for 2015 or 2016 but we imagine that Bulge is next and a module/vehicle pack for one of the existing base games and perhaps a patch for the existing games but . . .?

Jason

Black Sea is going to be on the back burner for a bit after this patch, so that we can spread the love to other titles. ;) I don't have any announcements regarding Black Sea for now.

Bulge is the big CMx2 effort at the moment. It is currently in early Alpha. CMFI is also due to get some love sooner rather than later. ;)

Black Sea is going to be on the back burner for a bit after this patch, so that we can spread the love to other titles. ;) I don't have any announcements regarding Black Sea for now.

Bulge is the big CMx2 effort at the moment. It is currently in early Alpha. CMFI is also due to get some love sooner rather than later. ;)

And the other big effort is? :D

CMFI gets some love like it goes to Tunisia ?

Anything short of that might not get my interest.

CMFI gets some love like it goes to Tunisia ?

Anything short of that might not get my interest.

FI is very unlikely to be going to Tunisia. Modules get progressed forwards, as far as timeline is concerned. It's due the "promised" Gothic Line module. North Africa will be a different family; it's a drastically different environment and many new items will need generating (most of the Italian armour, for starters). Gothic Line will leverage work done for Bulge, and contribute toward work done on whatever they call the Red Thunder module. All the work done on snowy terrain for Bulge would be irrelevant to the Tunisia campaign but highly relevant for an upgrade of Gustav Line and Russia. BFC have expressed reluctance to return to arid climes (softened from outright refusal.

Please work in true dynamic campaigns somewhere in the next decade.

I'd've thought that having some branching based on varied conditions and not limited to binary decisions, possibly even including dialog boxes and or dynamic force assignments (without having to workaround with "decision scenarios") would have been easier to code in than AI script branching, and they've seemed interested in that direction of improvement in the past. It's not beyond hope.

Please work in true dynamic campaigns somewhere in the next decade.

+ 1 as well. Also a feature that allows import and export data into the editor / oob to track casualties. This would help support operational campaigns out there using board games or operational wargames.

I would be happy with a new module for CMFI or CMRT. I also liked the operations in CMx1 but without some other work, that is just not going to happen. Too bad.

The teaser that Steve had was not that long ago and was about the time we started talking about the release of CMBS so since we already knew about CM:Bulge it had to be something else. I knew that CMBS would not get much love for a while but I was hoping that CM:Afrika or CM:Korea would be a nice addition since both would not require a complete introduction of all the units. In fact, Afrika could start out as a Öperation Torch kind of thing and go from there.

Since I would be happy to have another CMRT module that is not too much to ask is it?

Edited by Canada Guy

Maybe its to.much to.ask but what i would like to see is european cold war! Personnally at the end of the 80 with everyone with their best weapons. But any setting, (50 to 89) in europe will be awesome.

YES!!  Fulda Gap 1985!  Then with some modding maybe Falklands, Grenada, Panama, Iran/Iraq, .........

MOS:96B2P,

I would love Fulda Gap, for it is there that I cut my Modern Warfare gaming teeth with SPI's pioneering games. It was also Fulda Gap which formed a big chunk of my professional concern during my years as a Soviet Threat Analyst. If we're going to play 1985, I want the true armor/antiarmor situation, as I've been at great pains to explain and document, depicted. This includes a US force with only a few XM1s, with rarity which would make a Tiger tank blush. I suspect the NATO apex predator would be the, greatly feared by the Russians, BAOR Chieftain, though NATO players best pray engine reliability not be modeled! There's also an intimate family connection. Brother George was a Platoon Sergeant (Bradley M3 CFVs) for Scouts in the 2/11 ACR "Black Horse." As if that wasn't bad enough, I had a SECRET level Army study in my safe back then which stated units like his conducting the Covering Force Battle were expected to take 50% losses! He was still in the Fulda Gap when the Berlin Wall fell. When Hackett's THIRD WORLD WAR AUGUST 1985 came out, it really rattled my cage. "Black Horse 1 this is Shovel Six. Confirm many.....crossing the Inter German Border. Am engaging. Out." Gave me goosebumps and watering eyes just typing that. He could just as easily have been in that very situation.

Edited by John Kettler

<snip>  Hackett's THIRD WORLD WAR AUGUST 1985 "Black Horse 1 this is Shovel Six. Confirm many.....crossing the Inter German Border. Am engaging. Out."  <snip> 

Yes, that was a cool book.  One of my favorites from back in the day.  Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising was also a good one.   

Hacketts book was very good.

Kind of showed how a war would play out.

The supply bit i found interesting with both sides depleting ammo very quickly.

Logistics was critical. As was ability of Bmps etc to cross water ways.

Given info that was discussed prior about soviet tank design at the time being better than thought i think the Nato forces would have been very hard pressed indeed.

I a numbers game with limited tactical nukes i think the russians would win in Europe back in 84.

But in the end no one wins with radioactive sites all over.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't leave CB:BS in the burner too long or it will be toast! ;)

Their are so many armoured vehicles being created/upgraded now like the Polish PL-01, M1A3, T-14/15, Ukrainian T-72UA1 and Challenger 2 Megatron.

So theirs always a chance you could add them in one day who knows

Maybe its to.much to.ask but what i would like to see is european cold war! Personnally at the end of the 80 with everyone with their best weapons. But any setting, (50 to 89) in europe will be awesome.

ahh that sounds awesome, and the perfect setting would be YUGOSLAVIA. It is in the middle between Warsaw pact and NATO. it is neither east nor west allied, it has diverse terrain from plains, mountains, hills, sea, dense woods... it was always on the verge of USSR intervention, heavily monitored from the western side... it wasn't overused if at all... and it has fairly strong army itself. just perfect!

Edited by mbarbaric