Female Faces

Umm, they are already there. They're the ones with the heavier whisker shadows. :)

(My abject apologies the the many beautiful Russian, Ukrainian, Eurasian, Baltic, and Polish women who may take offense. And some of the Moldavian, Bulgarian, Rumanian, and any other woman. Is that enough?)

sorry but had say this gind thing is tjust waisting recourses and time . ok not big thing but still

I am not saying you were one who did but it was ok for people to complain the buttstock texture was missing from some rifles in the commonwealth module but it is wrong to ask for women to be represented in the game?

Faces? Underneath the grime I don't think you'd be able to tell, but the game is broken until BFC adds female voices into the game. The voices should be in Russian and 120 other Soviet languages, although at first I will be satisfied with the official languages of the 15 republics.

There should also be black Wehrmacht soldiers.

My guess is that the official BFC answer would sound something like this:

Yes, there were quite a few female members of the soviet armed forces. But the vast majority of them served in units that were not present at the front lines. That means that the chance of actually having a female trooper present in the CMRT scope is very slim. So slim, that it is not worth spending our limited resources on.

Fortunately, the Soviet uniforms are not exactly "form-fitting", so doing female faces for those who want em should work fine.

IIRC the females were not in mixed gender units. If that's accurate, we'll have to have all-female units.

Looking forward to the briefings:

"Comrade Yevdokia turned to Comrade Marina in horror. Her mascara had run all down her rouged cheeks. The Soviet cosmetics factory had never produced the same quality since the fascist swine had occupied the lipstick and eyeliner production buildings. Soon she would take her revenge in the great assault to regain the factory complex... the rumor was that they could get as far as the shoe department..."

Etc...

My guess is that the official BFC answer would sound something like this:

Yes, there were quite a few female members of the soviet armed forces. But the vast majority of them served in units that were not present at the front lines. That means that the chance of actually having a female trooper present in the CMRT scope is very slim. So slim, that it is not worth spending our limited resources on.

Umlauts answer is spot on and will have to do as I really don't want any one on the Battlefront staff spending time answering this question. Opps too late Mike already did. Well I hope it was on his free time. ;)

Hi,

In fact women played a far smaller part in the war than the myth would have to you believe.

It may be 3% of those who served in Soviet forces in WWII who were women. Overwhelmingly in non frontline combat roles. Could look it up. Glantz gives the figures I think in his Colossus Reborn book. Added to which it was not a success. Both the Soviets and Israelis have tried women in combat units in high intensity warfare with unhappy results. Could point you at the books on that too but am not interested in a bun fight over it.

All you hear about women in combat units in the military today, in the west, is based on winning certain segments of the women’s vote.

All the best,

Kip.

...Soon she would take her revenge in the great assault to regain the factory complex... the rumor was that they could get as far as the shoe department..."

Too funny, Erwin.

I suppose we'll have to incorporate an hermaphrodite division as well. We wouldn't want to leave them out.

If anyone was wondering why there are no women on this forum, this thread would be a great place to figure out why. I am no longer sure I should be encouraging my daughters to play this game and have them seek out opponents on this forum.

I asked a simple question to find out if there were any plans to include women who played a role in the Red army and the amount absolute drivel in the responses has been disappointing. If I had asked this question in the Peng challenge thread I would have expected this.

Thanks kipanderson for pointing out they only represented about 3% of the actual Red Army. Given that low percentage I agree the time taken to include women faces into the game should have a low priority.

Ok, started working on a female faces mod, only you can't change the shape of the bodies. That stuff is un-moddable. So, I guess it will be more of a transgender mod ;). Will that satisfy you? (how ever you make rolly eyes).

You could possibly modify the upper-body textures in such a way that it appears as if there were breasts underneath the clothes. You know, playing with the shadows and such. If a woman stands straight up and the sun is coming directly from above, the length of the shadow on her belly is a function of the size of her breasts. You get the point. And this is a serious suggestion.

Oh, and on a less serious note, check out this:

http://www.use.com/images/s_5/sorted/2014_08_03_1_bbd9b8796165c96f7607_2.jpg?is=true&ps=true&rand=735081181395

@Heirloom_Tomato:

I dont it matters much weather or not there are women in this game, simply because the audience is 99.9% male and because only a small percentage of Red Army troops were actually female. Yes, it would be nice to have the women who served in the Red Army represented and yes it would be more historically accurate, but I dont think it would make a difference for almost all people who play the game. It is better if BFC invest their time into other stuff.

If anyone was wondering why there are no women on this forum, this thread would be a great place to figure out why. I am no longer sure I should be encouraging my daughters to play this game and have them seek out opponents on this forum.

Yep, it becomes a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. However there are plenty of decent people who couldn't care a less one's gender.

There are some young males in the art mix but the underlying facial structure makes them all look the same.

Sculpted normal maps could compensate for that pretty well. The problem is that modders would need to reproduce the shape of the head as a 3D model first. I've looked at this for the heads and other parts but get fed up pretty quickly trying to work out outline shapes and wireframes from in-game screenshots.

In the absence of getting hold of the actual models, is there any way that modders could be given orthographic views of some of the model wireframes or, at the least, copies of the textures with the wireframe guides overlaid?

Hi,

All you hear about women in combat units in the military today, in the west, is based on winning certain segments of the women’s vote.

All the best,

Kip.

Not quite true. We lost one of our brightest and finest artillery officers in combat in Afghanistan - Captain Nichola Goddard. She was killed during a 2-day engagement in Panjwaye District when her LAV III was hit by 2 RPGs while she was standing in the turret. Capt.Goddard and an ANA soldier died in the battle. The talibs lost 40 killed and 20 captured. Canadian Armed Forces integrates female soldiers in combat roles for real, because the women of Canada insist on it.

We also lost two other female combat troops in Kandahar - Trooper Karine Blais and Master Cpl. Kristal Giesebrecht.

Fencible

Hi,

In fact women played a far smaller part in the war than the myth would have to you believe.

It may be 3% of those who served in Soviet forces in WWII who were women. Overwhelmingly in non frontline combat roles. Could look it up. Glantz gives the figures I think in his Colossus Reborn book. Added to which it was not a success. Both the Soviets and Israelis have tried women in combat units in high intensity warfare with unhappy results. Could point you at the books on that too but am not interested in a bun fight over it.

All the best,

Kip.

I really do want the names of those books... if you could PM me?

When we get to Stalingrad though it would be nice to have some flavour faces. But in all honesty you could barely tell the difference.

Then again there are other minute details in this game which is all about detail.

You could possibly modify the upper-body textures in such a way that it appears as if there were breasts underneath the clothes. You know, playing with the shadows and such. If a woman stands straight up and the sun is coming directly from above, the length of the shadow on her belly is a function of the size of her breasts. You get the point. And this is a serious suggestion.

A youngish woman with no bra... especialy a teenager living on army rations... casts a smaller shadow.

Trust me on this.

Fortunately, the Soviet uniforms are not exactly "form-fitting", so doing female faces for those who want em should work fine.

IIRC the females were not in mixed gender units. If that's accurate, we'll have to have all-female units.

Looking forward to the briefings:

"Comrade Yevdokia turned to Comrade Marina in horror. Her mascara had run all down her rouged cheeks. The Soviet cosmetics factory had never produced the same quality since the fascist swine had occupied the lipstick and eyeliner production buildings. Soon she would take her revenge in the great assault to regain the factory complex... the rumor was that they could get as far as the shoe department..."

Etc...

Methinks it would read a bit more like...

Comrade section leader Nemko was stuck. The only way forward was through a small sewer pipe, half full of who knows what, and too small to shove a man OR a spool of wire through. He looked back at his two subordinates. Vlad Patrovich was just as stumped as his commander. Mila Ladoch snarled at them both "Stupid men". She shoved her rifle at Vlad, and grabbed his PPSH. The trade done, she took the loose end of the wire in her teeth, and lunged head first into the pipe. "Could you give me a push?" she hissed back at them.

Vlad considered leaning on the arse cheek that was still out in the air, then grabbed a boot instead... and pushed it into the darkness. "better to die from facisti bullets than female rage" he thought. A wise man indeed.

As Mila crawled through the filth, her comrades dutifuly fed wire to her.

Both gratefull it wasnt them in the darkness.

A youngish woman with no bra... especialy a teenager living on army rations... casts a smaller shadow.

Trust me on this.

I just looked up some images of female USSR soldiers and when they are wearing their summer uniforms you can quite clearly see the shadows:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/062/e/1/russian_female_sniper_ww2_by_uniformfan-d5wt0iz.jpg

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/2871-9/russian-lady-530606.jpg

http://www.historybanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/russian_female_soldier_8__ww2_by_uniformfan-d5r4kfv-1.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/034/f/5/russian_female_soldiers_ww2_by_uniformfan-d5tof7v.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/034/e/7/russian_female_soldiers_group_ww2_by_uniformfan-d5toe2l.jpg

During the winter months though, with their thick colthing, it is less obvious and men and women look more or less the same, at least regarding the shadows:

http://www.bildirchin.az/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/second_world_war02.jpg

http://waralbum.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/rus_fem_pow.jpg