Combat Mission vs. Company Of Heroes

I'm not sure how you can compare the two. CM is a realistic combat simulator, and CoH is a typical RTS with base building and where resource gathering is in the guise of capturing territory flags that earn you points to buy more units.

Probably CoH is a slicker presentation with smoother gameplay, that's about it's only advantage. There's zero realism - it's a typical RTS where each unit has 'hit points' and can be automatically healed by medics. Specific buildings must be built to build specific units.. typical old school RTS. The game itself is fun if you're into that sort of genre but it can easily get to be a repetitive click fest like any other RTS.

I'm not sure how you can compare the two. CM is a realistic combat simulator, and CoH is a typical RTS with base building and where resource gathering is in the guise of capturing territory flags that earn you points to buy more units.

Probably CoH is a slicker presentation with smoother gameplay, that's about it's only advantage. There's zero realism - it's a typical RTS where each unit has 'hit points' and can be automatically healed by medics. Specific buildings must be built to build specific units.. typical old school RTS. The game itself is fun if you're into that sort of genre but it can easily get to be a repetitive click fest like any other RTS.

I agree with all of this. I'd just add that graphically CoH is really good looking and that might sway some people.

I've played both extensively. Agree with all that's been said. CoH is better if you're into that sort of game. CM is not going to appeal to many due to the complexity and time needed to master the interface.

I tried CoH online games years ago and it pretty much boiled down to who could pump out the most units and rush the other side. That and the juvenile nature of the players turned me off.

In the end we're really taking about apples and oranges here.

I played the Original CoH and both expansions alot-mostly offline. I have the Eastern Front CoH, but hardly touched it.

Wargame and red Dragon is sorta the same thing. Looks good and is fun, but not a serious combat simulator and from what I've seen online not really a place I want to be.

The Combat Mission h2h crowd on the other hand is much more refined if you ask me.

I've played them both as well, each for different reasons.

If you are looking for a click fest, adrenaline rush, ending in screams of frustration and pounding of fists, try CoH.

If you are looking for a tactical sim that will test your ability to conduct fire and maneuver while you enjoy your ham sandwich with just a touch of Grey Poupon than go for CM.

They are so different its even hard to compare them. Essentially CoH could be played with Orcs and Space Marines on distant planets... oh wait a minute...

If someone tells you they think CoH rocks and CM sucks, ask them to explain the difference between a 251/9 and a 251/10 and then draw your own conclusions.

For me, Company of Heroes represented more of a cartoon while Combat Mission presents more of a documentary. Both are games but CoH suspends disbelief for entertainment while CM better simulates my perception of reality. CoH is much prettier but never tripped my trigger. CM has "skin" mods that pretty it up but at the core it stretches my skills of understanding.

If one enjoys George Clooney as "Batman", CoH is for you. If you prefer Christian Bale's rendition, I suspect CM is your preferred cup of tea. In my view, preferring one over the other boils down to entertainment as an adrenal rush or intellectual stimulation.

Oh Christ...one of those? I won't even bother downloading the game to check it out. That's about all I need to know.

I would suggest that CoH seems to hold peoples attention for a few weeks or months. CM players often continue to play the game for years.

I watched several videos of CoH and that was enough exposure for me. The units seems to move very quickly. It had the look and feel of a computer game. CM has the atmosphere of a simulator.

I would suggest that CoH seems to hold peoples attention for a few weeks or months. CM players often continue to play the game for years.

15 years in many cases. Folks won't even give up on the Cmx1 series, though I have long unloaded that from the hard drive. Been playing CMx2 since CMSF release and don't see that slowing down. I have nothing else in the game genre with that kind of longevity. If I die with a mouse in my hand (or whatever we have for an I/O interface) watching my pixeltruppen assault some enemy position.... I'll be smiling even if I am losing.

Funny thing, this is the second thread on this. There is another in the CMSF forum. Honestly I had to go on utube to get an idea of what COH is. I now know if it is a free download I still wouldn't bother.

Hopefully in the future BF may turn to an external engine which would give us CoH graphics with CM realism. If they go ahead and buy a license for a 3rd part engine it would allow them to focus more on gameplay and let the engine handle advanced graphics.

"Hammers and nails, hammers and nails."

CoH is fun. The camera is fixed at one position with 3(?) zoom levels. The maps are few. The game is engaging, but is, as mentioned, an RTS click-fest.

Capture a fuel point so you can build a tank factory. Spew out some tanks every couple of minutes. Gain points and spend them to upgrade your units. Build more. The maps are divided into zones. Capture a zone and you get more "build" points.

It has more in common with pokemon than with CM. Having said that, I've played almost all versions of it. It has its place, as does CM.

As the old saying goes CoH is like the good time, good looking babe you huck and chuck, while Combat Mission is the one you take home to mom and get serious with.

Speaking of a good time without getting serious this one looks like fun. I like naval games and there are not to many of them out there:

http://www.battlefleetgame.com/bf2.html

I have Men of War Assault Squad on Steam, but its not installed. I may have to take another look. I also have Order of War, but haven't touched that in years.

Is Men of War 2 the Viet-Nam one? I heard that was insanely hard.

Cross-platformers like Battlefleet make me nervous, but there is a dearth of naval games, barring Steam & Iron which is WWI and pretty hardcore.

I just don't get the whole RTS tank rush crowd. The modus is always the same. Now, CoH turn-based, that might be nice. But CMx2 is nicest.

Cross-platformers like Battlefleet make me nervous, but there is a dearth of naval games, barring Steam & Iron which is WWI and pretty hardcore.

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations from Matrix is a realistic and full-featured evolution of the old Harpoon paradigm. The developers have demonstrated a really impressive level of support and improvement since release. They seem committed to detail and fidelity and the same way BTS is.

WW1 doesn't interest me.

In the 90's you have companies like Microprose and SSI put out some great WW2 naval games. Sine their demise nobody has really taken up the bat tan. I would love to see a modern remake of Task Force 1942 or 1942 as well as SSI's GNB series.

I took a look at Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations but took a pass. When you're going to charge that much money I expect something more than 1990 style graphics. If Combat Mission can put a decent face on a serious simulation there is no excuse why CMNO can't especially given the fact they charge $30-40 more.

I'm willing to pay premium prices-I forked out $125 for Steel Beasts, but when you charge a premium price, I expect a premium product.