CMRT - BETA AAR - German Side

BFCElvis

sburke, these woods are pretty dense. I can't draw an LOS line very far.

Once the platoon meets up again I need to check something I've been meaning to check the whole game but keep forgetting. I've never used these units before and they are almost 50/50 rifles and SMGs. I'm hoping if I split off an assault team that it will be mostly SMGs. If that's the case I'm going to try and have the rifles cover the SMG teams, as they move forward.

I'm not sure what the negative waves are about this move. I have seen only one (scout?)team in those woods. No sound contacts at all. Every other unit of his I've seen moving, not to mention all the sound contacts, has been toward the big woods in the middle. Of course you guys have more Intel than me.....so who knows....maybe I'm walking into a trap.

Of course you guys have more Intel than me.....so who knows....maybe I'm walking into a trap.

Heh... no, I think it has more to do with how many times we (collective) have been overly aggressive while on the defensive and had it go boom in our faces.

Even if we knew, for a fact, you were walking into a cleverly laid trap you could come out on top. Or you are springing a cleverly laid flank attack that leaves you with two guys and a P-38 between the two. Like so many things in CM, we won't know how this works out until it's over.

Steve

We'd probably feel a bit more secure about Elvis if only he'd post picts of his own armor instead of just the enemy's. Plus a reminder that Hetzer is entirely capable of knocking out an ISU-122. I think we're being over-pessimistic.

My Hetzers and Panther are going to stay hidden until the time is right. We're not even close to that yet. When I do move them, my plan is to have them move like a pack. Hopefully not taking on more than one Russian tank at a time...and then running to safety until the next opportunity arrives.

My Hetzers and Panther are going to stay hidden until the time is right. We're not even close to that yet. When I do move them, my plan is to have them move like a pack. Hopefully not taking on more than one Russian tank at a time...and then running to safety until the next opportunity arrives.

That's the smartest thing I've heard you say yet. At last, some good news!

;)

Michael

I'm unable to post screen shots right now because I'm not in front of my computer but I thought I'd share something that happened in the last turn.

My scout on my car right, who has been keeping an eye on the open ground on the west was fired upon by an ISU122. The shot came 29 seconds into the turn and because of its painfully slow reload time it didn't fire again that turn. The shot sailed over the heads of the scouts. The tank was behind the large woods. These scouts have nice LOS to the whole open area and the western side of the woods. I also have brought one of my teams back through the woods on that side without meeting anyone. The only T34s I have seen was on the opposite side of the woods.

This has all made me consider going hunting with my armor. It might take 2 or 3 turns to get them into a position to attack. They will almost surely be able to fire at the front of his tank. But having multiple tanks against a slow moving and slow reloading giant may give me a chance.

This is what I'm thinking while waiting for my next turn.

Hmmmm I have to say...

When one is defending one should defend as you have less forces and you need to kill more than you have killed.

So far by moving things around you are turning your defence into an attack against a force that has far more than you!!

Good Luck...

;)

Michael is correct..

Time to sent in Lt. Stahler. He and his -2 drm always worked wonders for me!

Sadly the good Leutnant didn't think this little KM attack was his priority, and was somewhere else. As it happens, the team in question did drop to Broken, and at that point had a yellow box around the morale state.

Which makes me wonder whether "Yellow box = brittle", but brittleness is something that can go away with rally time enough to get back above Rattled (which also seems always to have a yellow box around it. I wonder whether there are degrees of Brittleness, though; Rattled troops do seem to behave more sturdily than Broken ones, though that could just be confirmation bias...

Hmmmm I have to say...

When one is defending one should defend as you have less forces and you need to kill more than you have killed.

So far by moving things around you are turning your defence into an attack against a force that has far more than you!!

Good Luck...

;)

Michael is correct..

Because I am defending it may seem like I am doing more advancing than I am, when I talk about teams being forward and scouts etc.... The fact is that in the center woods, early in the game I sent two squads to both scout and give Bil the impression that I had something going on there. Other than that the only advancing I have done is with two scout units on the other edges of the map. Both have now provided me with great intel.

My understanding of Bils style of play is that he methodically recons and pinpoints enemy positions and wipes them out handily. That is what staying in place means to me with this game. Keeping him wondering where I am or moving from where he thinks I am, is critical to me having a chance. Also, trying to keep him off balance is going to be something I need to do. The gathering of the platoon on my left will hopefully provide me the ability to flank him when he attacks where he looks to be gearing up for attack. Or it should give him something new he has to think about, possibly causing him to change his plan or delay it to deal with a new threat. I will not be moving them as far forward as I had planned with all the sound contacts I've gotten on my left in the last couple of turns. I am going to set the platoon up with the best cover and longest line of sight I can get. The further I can keep him away when the shots get fired, the better chance I will have against his machine guns.

Hoping you've found the best place to set up and duke it out toe to toe does not feel like the best strategy in this battle. I think a static defense with him is just a quick death. I could be wrong, but I do have a method to my madness.

Now, moving the armor forward is much more of a bold move. If I do that, I will be bringing my armor very far forward, with no support. What makes it so tempting is that I have seen no signs of danger on that side of the woods, and I have been looking for it. It could be an opportunity to catch one of his big tanks in a position that I can take it out and get back. I haven't committed to doing it yet and having to travel as far as I will have to travel I may lose that advantage of an clear run. I will start to bring them to the forward part of my set up and decided as I go if the risk is worth it in a few turns.

Elvis...

You Da boss on this one...

I will go back to lurking mode...

Enjoying this and thank you for taking Bil on this AAR has me sold on buying the game.

(Mind you would have bought any way but this really has warmed me up to a new area of operation and George's maps as always are just bloody excellent..)

If I understand, your SPGs and a Panther would be something like in 600-800 meters from ISU-122, had you decided to attack them?

I think they could take it out from that distance head on, although the distance is quite big, so it could take 2-4 shots to achieve a direct hit. Don't forget to get out of harm's way after few shots, as fast as you can, even if they didn't score a hit - if that thing hits you or even near you, things won't be too great for your panzers.

Hmmmm I have to say...

Good Luck...

;)

Michael is correct..

Ahh...the still, small voice of caution :D

Attack is the best form of defence, don't you know.

Look at how much success it has brought me........oh, wait a minute, might need to re-evaluate that :(

Well, as a tactic, it has got to succeed sometime.

Elvis...

You Da boss on this one...

I will go back to lurking mode...

Enjoying this and thank you for taking Bil on this AAR has me sold on buying the game.

(Mind you would have bought any way but this really has warmed me up to a new area of operation and George's maps as always are just bloody excellent..)

Please don't got back to lurking mode. Responding to a post like yours helps me to evaluate/reevaluate my thoughts. And also helps me make some of the things I'm doing more clear, in case I haven't communicated them well before.

Here is what it looks like when a 122mm shell sails over your scouts heads and explodes a safe distance behind them. I haven't used one of those monsters yet but it must be frustrating waiting for the next shot to be fired. A full 30 seconds went by without another round fired.

3_zps4ff02594.jpg

Now to give you an idea of what I've been talking about looks like. I did not spot him until the round was in the air. Because of that, I believe it was moving and stopped to fire because I have a good line of sight to him. Heck, I have a good line of sight to the whole area. The light blue arrows indicate what I can see....and have been able to see for a few turns.

The purple arrow shows the basic patch that the team that I pulled back took and the blue line next to it is where I am thinking about sending him back. He didn't even encounter a sound contact. It really does look like that area is safe....for now.

1_zpsf3e91672.jpg

Which makes me seriously consider quickly moving my armor near the scout and seeing if I can get a shot or two off. The distance to travel is about 850m and will probably throw up some sound contacts to him. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to get a clean shot at the thing but don't want to lose my precious armor doing it. If I had to travel 100-200m it would be a no brainer. Regardless of what I do about his tank, it's probably time to fire up the Hetzers and move to a spot where they can be brought into play more quickly.

4_zps37d25497.jpg

The only other thing of note for now is that my harassing fire spotting rounds keep falling in the same spot. I don't expect them to do any damage. My intent is to give Bil something else to think about. But of all the places for these stray rounds to fall, they are falling in the most useless one.

You can see the target area and the circled exploding round.

2_zps13fcb951.jpg

I'm not sure when I last posted a shot sowing where everyone is. Here it is. The only thing missing is the scout on my right that was just fired on. The black squares in BLAU are my flamethrowers

5_zpscfcd38da.jpg